New Boat

NBMike

Featured Posts

After 6-7 years of planning and dreaming and nearly 2 years of hard metal bashing and welding I am about to launch Solveig's Song at Croxley this Friday. Then there's just a few more years of fitting out to do !CIMG0039.jpg

After 6-7 years of planning and dreaming and nearly 2 years of hard metal bashing and welding I am about to launch Solveig's Song at Croxley this Friday. Then there's just a few more years of fitting out to do !CIMG0039.jpg

that's lovely, did you build it all yourself?

that's lovely, did you build it all yourself?

I did all the underwater parts myself. But was time was really running out so I got some help to do the cabin and door frames. There is still lots of niggly bits to do but the Stretch trailer will be here tomorrow early!!!

I did all the underwater parts myself. But was time was really running out so I got some help to do the cabin and door frames. There is still lots of niggly bits to do but the Stretch trailer will be here tomorrow early!!!

I'm really impressed, good on 'yer. Did you have welding experience or did you learn as you went along?

I've just been on your website, Mike - this look like a staggering achievement, well done to get this far, and the very best of luck with your completion!

I had the pleasure to meet Mike earlier this week just after the launch of the boat. Seems like a nice chap, one hell of an achievement with the build and he's a biker too. Best of luck with the rest of the fitout 515888!

Debbi

aka Suzuki Girl

:wub: Well another long hard day. Chris Bennett was kind enough to shelve his plans for yesterday and he and Lise, on Baldock, spent 14 long, hot hours towing Solveigs Song back from Croxley to Home mooring at Uxbridge. I met many very kind and supportive people on the way and am looking forward to doing the trip again under my own power, when I get these variable speed governor weights sorted out in my engine!Thanks for all your kind words people.Debbi, can I ask, does the number 515888 stay with the boat for its lifetime , or is it "joined to me"? :lol:;):o
I'm really impressed, good on 'yer. Did you have welding experience or did you learn as you went along?
I did an evening class about 15 years ago, built a trailer and a few other bits and pieces and then decided to jump in at the deep end. I know my welding isn't as smooth and even as a Pro but the acid test was lowering into the water and having no small geysers inside! ( Not even small dew drops.) :)

Debbi, can I ask, does the number 515888 stay with the boat for its lifetime , or is it "joined to me"? :

Titania is correct. The only thing that matters to BW and any other navigation authority is the boat's registered number which stays with the boat throughout it's life until it's finally scrapped. Look after those shiny new index number plates :-)

Our boat still has the old black BW plates from before the new system started. But our old tub isn't old, just 20 years old. We could of course start a whole new thread about registration numbers of the old boats who had fleet numbers and also registration numbers which usually denoted that the family working the boat had been registered in a particular locality and were supposed to be inspected by the local council for things such as living conditions. I'm sure there's other people on this forum who know a lot more about this aspect of working boat history than I do.

Debbi

Titania is correct. The only thing that matters to BW and any other navigation authority is the boat's registered number which stays with the boat throughout it's life until it's finally scrapped. Look after those shiny new index number plates :-)

Our boat still has the old black BW plates from before the new system started. But our old tub isn't old, just 20 years old. We could of course start a whole new thread about registration numbers of the old boats who had fleet numbers and also registration numbers which usually denoted that the family working the boat had been registered in a particular locality and were supposed to be inspected by the local council for things such as living conditions. I'm sure there's other people on this forum who know a lot more about this aspect of working boat history than I do.

Debbi

Thanks for that. I'll screw them on carefully.

Congratulations Mike.

The culmination of a lot of hard work.

Interesting name - whats the origin ?

Solveigs Song is a piece from Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite.

I once planned to build a long wheelbase recumbent bicycle as a copy of the Peer Gynt bike (Google it) and got as far as buying all components. frame tube and building the wheels but then got distracted by a canal boat. I still have all the bits and WILL build it one day. The boat name is a continuation of a theme! (And a very lovely piece of music) :)