Nearly Sank

Bones

Featured Posts

I was coming into Kings Lock on the Thames on saturday feeling on top of the world (in a sadistic way). I stood on the bank holding onto my centre line and stern line while the lockie emptied the lock when she said 'make sure the boat stays off the steps' ... oh right I thought.... and looked down to check.

Bones was well and truely caught on the steps so I told the lockie who instantly shut the sluices and legged it up the lock to open the topgate sluices. A friend of hers happened to be walking his dog and so alarmed was he to see her run (a rareity I hear) he started legging it and as he rounded the bush he saw the problem, upped his pace and gave her a hand. It is amazing how quickly these things happen. As soon as I noticed the boat had drifted onto the steps, the stern was not in the water, the boat was leaning at a very precarious angle to the left, and the bow was down. Judging by the swearing, the praying and the gasping looks as the boat re-floated I think Bones had a bit of a close call there.

So, be careful in those Thames locks!

I was coming into Kings Lock on the Thames on saturday feeling on top of the world (in a sadistic way). I stood on the bank holding onto my centre line and stern line while the lockie emptied the lock when she said 'make sure the boat stays off the steps' ... oh right I thought.... and looked down to check.

Bones was well and truely caught on the steps so I told the lockie who instantly shut the sluices and legged it up the lock to open the topgate sluices. A friend of hers happened to be walking his dog and so alarmed was he to see her run (a rareity I hear) he started legging it and as he rounded the bush he saw the problem, upped his pace and gave her a hand. It is amazing how quickly these things happen. As soon as I noticed the boat had drifted onto the steps, the stern was not in the water, the boat was leaning at a very precarious angle to the left, and the bow was down. Judging by the swearing, the praying and the gasping looks as the boat re-floated I think Bones had a bit of a close call there.

So, be careful in those Thames locks!

Congratulations on the narrow escape, Bones. I am sure that you are even more pleased that I that you were paying attention!

Nick

Oh Bones.....how frightening. Good job the lockie made you aware - what would have happened is nothing had been said! Who designed the lock? Questions should be asked!!

Very pleased to hear you and NB Bones are OK....here have a restorative beer :rolleyes: and go careful out there!

That's put a lump in my throat !

Had a similar incident at Benson Lock two years ago on the way home from the boatbuilders' with brand new Foxglove . The lockie was off for lunch so we were winding the wheels .(Benson is one of the many locks with hydraulic powered gates and paddles but with wheel operation out of hours). Had a bow and centre line out . While I was busy winding the wheel and looking downstream the lines went slack and the bow drifted out a bit which allowed the stern to move over the steps . The first I knew of it was my wife shouting to get my attention and on looking round saw the boat nose well down and listing at an alarming angle .

I sent her immediately to open the top paddles while I shut the bottom ones . Anyone who has used these Thames lock paddles out of hours will know just how much time and energy is required to open/shut them and this sort of incident highlights the safety issues of such a slow system .

After what seemed like an eternity the lock started to refill and I was able to kick the stern off the step . The uxter plate had caught by less that one inch on the metal step . The water line on the offside showed that not only had the gas locker started to fill but the well deck drain hole was under also . Foxglove's first journey was nearly her last !! We were so shocked and out of breath that swearing was quite impossible . Still makes me feel a bit wobbly just to think of it .

As a result of this experience we rarely use Thames locks out of hours now and we never position either end of the boat anywhere near the steps and of course maintain a constant watch on the boat while locking .

I'm sorry you went through this experience Bones and glad it turned out okay . Yet another potential pitfall we all need to be aware of .

holy shit bones-woman, that was close.

are the steps those sideways steps built into the side of the lockwall with ledges ive seen in a few of the thames locks? a bit like in a harbour...

we live and learn... so far ive learnt not to say im going somewhere near a river... because then we get flooding. how is the thames at the moment? we're kinda stuck between do we still bother going down to the wey or hop across london and go over to the river lee.

we were hoping we might come and visit you while you are on the oxford. its too far for us to cruise and commute so we were thinking it a good opportunity to see some of that side of the world and eat some cheese and drink some port.

Glad you're OK Bones, and none the worse for your adventure.

Can anyone clarify for me just what these "steps" are? Cill, lock ladders?

Bones, you really were very remiss in not getting photo's!

Janet

Many years ago I was in Beeston Stone Lock or Tilstone lock with a 62 ft NB, sharing with a couple of plastics. As the lock emptied the boat took a very noticable list to port, further rotation stopped by the side doors swinging open and pressing on the roof of the adjacent cruiser. I signalled to the crew to refill the lock, meanwhile, in my naivety I walked up the gunwale to see if I could see what was causing the hangup. Nothing was visible, and as the lock refilled the boat lifted off the obstruction and on emptying the lock again all was well.

As we went to leave the lock, the owner of the forward boat, clearly an experienced boater, called me over and said he hoped I wouldn't mind him commenting, but, he said, "never walk up the gunwale again in that situation". The reason, he explained, was that if the boat had slipped off the hangup, the boat would have dropped and rotated, neatly completely squashing me between the handrail and the lock side. As soon as he said it, it was so obvious to me, and I had cold sweats and shivers for a some while afterwards.

I too assume that "steps" in this context means cill. I thought there was usually a painted white line to mark where the the cill is on Thames locks too?

I once took my boat through the lock at Caversham out of hours. Never again - it's too much like hard work.

The steps I refer to and I assume in Bones' case are the ones let into the side wall of the lock , not the cill . Cills in Thames locks are indeed well marked .

Another one to watch out for : -

The lower gates one some Thames locks have wide walkways attched to them on the inside of the gate . I was the last boat in to a packed lock going uphill a few years ago and the lockie had shuffled me in behind a lower gate . As the boat rose in the lock the tiller came up underneath the walkway and there was no room to move forward and clear . Fortunately I was able to get the lockie's attention and the lock was stopped before any damage was done .

Now if I'm in any doubt if there's enough room left I will let a shorter boat have my place and wait until the next lock .

Happy boating !

The lower gates one some Thames locks have wide walkways attched to them on the inside of the gate . I was the last boat in to a packed lock going uphill a few years ago and the lockie had shuffled me in behind a lower gate . As the boat rose in the lock the tiller came up underneath the walkway and there was no room to move forward and clear . Fortunately I was able to get the lockie's attention and the lock was stopped before any damage was done .

Happy boating !

Like these on Bath Deep Lock?! The owner of Bath Narrowboats told me they repair three or four boats a year who bend their tiller on it.

Ka1_17.jpg

Pic courtesy (http://tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/tour_00/BCNplus22.html)

I too assume that "steps" in this context means cill. I thought there was usually a painted white line to mark where the the cill is on Thames locks too?

I once took my boat through the lock at Caversham out of hours. Never again - it's too much like hard work.

Steps means steps..... and as foxglove says the ones let into the side off the lock.

The whole event left me standing there thinking 'ooops!'

Edited by Bones

holy shit bones-woman, that was close.

are the steps those sideways steps built into the side of the lockwall with ledges ive seen in a few of the thames locks? a bit like in a harbour...

we live and learn... so far ive learnt not to say im going somewhere near a river... because then we get flooding. how is the thames at the moment? we're kinda stuck between do we still bother going down to the wey or hop across london and go over to the river lee.

we were hoping we might come and visit you while you are on the oxford. its too far for us to cruise and commute so we were thinking it a good opportunity to see some of that side of the world and eat some cheese and drink some port.

COOOOL! You must visit.... you can stay over too.

Have posted a couple of photos in the waterways section of the gallery showing lock steps and walkways .

Can't work out how to get pics from my pooter into a post reply just yet. Can anyone help please ?

Ta

Have posted a couple of photos in the waterways section of the gallery showing lock steps and walkways .

Can't work out how to get pics from my pooter into a post reply just yet. Can anyone help please ?

Ta

Oh, I see - steps... How did you manage to get your boat in there Bones? I suppose it only takes a couple of inches of your hull to drift over one of them.

To get your pictures into a post you have to first host them on a webpage and then upload them (or something like that!) I never had any luck with it either.

Edited by blackrose

Oh, I see - steps... How did you manage to get your boat in there Bones? I suppose it only takes a couple of inches of your hull to drift over one of them.

To get your pictures into a post you have to first host them on a webpage and then upload them (or something like that!) I never had any luck with it either.

Normally there is a bit of wood that keeps your boat off them... but it wasn't there on this lock.

Cheers Blackrose .

My photos of the steps show a timber edging . No such luxury at Benson Lock , the steps with their metal grate tops are flush with the lock wall .

While descending the lock the bow drifted out 2 - 3 feet which allowed the rear corner of the uxter plate ( top of swim / bottom of counter ) to drift over the corner of the step and about one inch was all it took to hold up a fair proportion of Foxglove's 20 ton weight . She would not come off until nearly level again .

Cheers Blackrose .

My photos of the steps show a timber edging . No such luxury at Benson Lock , the steps with their metal grate tops are flush with the lock wall .

While descending the lock the bow drifted out 2 - 3 feet which allowed the rear corner of the uxter plate ( top of swim / bottom of counter ) to drift over the corner of the step and about one inch was all it took to hold up a fair proportion of Foxglove's 20 ton weight . She would not come off until nearly level again .

As well as watching what's going on, I suppose the lesson here is to try not to position your boat with the bow or stern near the steps, if at all possible. Presumably the middle of the boat can't get caught in this way. Of course you have to go where the lockkeeper wants you taking into account all the other boats in the lock, but when I next see these steps I'll remember to let some other sucker put his stern there!

As well as watching what's going on, I suppose the lesson here is to try not to position your boat with the bow or stern near the steps, if at all possible. Presumably the middle of the boat can't get caught in this way. Of course you have to go where the lockkeeper wants you taking into account all the other boats in the lock, but when I next see these steps I'll remember to let some other sucker put his stern there!

absolutely! I wasn't bothered because it was something I had worried about before but noticed it just doesn't happen in some of the locks because of the protective strip... I was having a particularly bad day on saturday and I just didn't notice... OOOOOPS!

I am kicking myself for not taking a picture... it was awfully exciting!