HIAB access for boat launch? Bridgwater/Wigan

W+T

Featured Posts

Ok i am getting there and have found a very good priced HIAB hire company to launch the boat, a 20 foot cruiiser.

I am looking to launch by HIAB this April/May time along the Bridgewater From Worsley upto Makerfield. 

I called Boothstown Marina ( Manchester Worsley ) today with no luck of an answer and tried the hire company there. One lad answered but could not help but suggest Lym for some reason. he gave me another office number , again no luck of an answer.

We will be going up to Carnforth so the reason to stay below the Wigan flight, dont fancy that on the first outing, done it once and not to keen to do it again unless need be. 

So can anyone suggest a spot to launch with a 30 foot wagon by HIAB along that stretch please. 

Thanks Wayne

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Lymm marina 

01925 75 two 9 four 5

Preston Brook Marina

01928 7 one 90 eight 1

Thanks but a bit far from being between Worsley and Makerfield. 

2 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Maybe silly question but if going up to Carnforth why not launch direct on to the Lancaster? 

Not sure what to say there as then if the point was just to get to Carnforth then i would just launch it at Carnforth. 

2 minutes ago, W+T said:

Not sure what to say there as then if the point was just to get to Carnforth then i would just launch it at Carnforth. 

If you launch between Worsley and Wigan you will have to travel the Ribble Link to get to Carnforth. Fine if you are happy doing tidal waters, not so good otherwise.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you launch between Worsley and Wigan you will have to travel the Ribble Link to get to Carnforth. Fine if you are happy doing tidal waters, not so good otherwise.

Its fine :) All part of boating.

Be lazy and chuck it in at Tarleton?  There is wagon access to Mayor's boatyard so the hiab should get there, but you miss doing the Rufford Branch which is a nice bit of canal.

Crooke Marina?

Bedford Basin (Leigh)?

Just drop it over the fence on Barton Road in Eccles :)

Our boat was launched at Monton Turn in 2007. Have been past several times since then and there amount of cars parked there has increased but if yob Co ld put some cones out early morning it is still possible. 

Ours was a 58 foot narrowboat so a large artic plus a crane so the surface can obviously stand obe truck with a HIAB. 

10 minutes ago, Cloudinspector said:

Here. I’ve had 2 boats lifted in/out here. One 30ft butty by hiab and a 50ft narrowboat by crane. I also know someone who has had a wide beam lifted in at the same location.

Dropped pin
near Woodhouse Ln, Wigan WN6
https://goo.gl/maps/i1UrvQeVmLS2

I bet that was interesting. Woodhouse Lane is fenced off and the towpath is on the opposite bank.

I suppose you could always drop it in from Scot Lane bridge !

Woodhouse Drive (B5375) isn't near the canal. Woodhouse Lane is and the canal is fenced off at the point where Green's Carpets is. 

Is the map pin in the correct place ?

Edited by Aguila
Typo

1 hour ago, Aguila said:

Woodhouse Drive (B5375) isn't near the canal. Woodhouse Lane is and the canal is fenced off at the point where Green's Carpets is. 

Is the map pin in the correct place ?

Woodhouse drive runs parallel with woodhouse Lane. Follow woodhouse drive in a NW direction from the junction with Scot lane  until it meets Wigan lower road. Turn left onto wood house lane which runs right alongside the canal. I know this because I drove the low loader in there myself.

32 minutes ago, Aguila said:

As a local, I don't need your geography lesson as I regularly walk that section.

However,  I'm curious to know where the off-side of the canal is un-fenced at that point? 

It’s not unfenced. I just climbed over it off my boat, it’s only waist high.

21 minutes ago, Cloudinspector said:

It’s not unfenced. I just climbed over it off my boat, it’s only waist high.

Local boaters have used this site to crane boats in for years at the weekend as it is a dead end and mainly traffic free.

I have not seen anyone use a hiab though.

3 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

There's one just north of Botany Bay I used a few years back. Unsupervised so free.

It is one have used twice, either Botany Yard crane or the slip. Yard crane is £100 a go but slip is free if gate is unlocked, i would but i dont fancy doing the Wigan flight twice in a few week, one down to get to Carnforth then again on way back over the L&L. Not a chance lol.

Cloudinspector and Pie eater i will keep this in mind and recce the spot at a later date, i have a few spots now.

Worsely has a few but i need to check them out, and closer to home for a cheaper launch :)

Worsley boat club i called but i couldnt get through and there is the old yard on the Barton rd and Barton lane junction. Mite have room for a launch.

Edited by W+T

You can't get close enough really at Worsley Cruising Club and the old yard at Barton is a Bridgewater Canal Company yard so I doubt they'll be very helpful.

Slightly further along the road you have a small lay by off the main road just before the railway bridge. It has good access and as long as you keep the vehicle on the public highway you will be ok.

There's also road access by the Dover Lock pub at Abram or alongside at Plank Lane. 

Have a look in satellite mode along the route on Google earth 

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

You can't get close enough really at Worsley Cruising Club and the old yard at Barton is a Bridgewater Canal Company yard so I doubt they'll be very helpful.

Slightly further along the road you have a small lay by off the main road just before the railway bridge. It has good access and as long as you keep the vehicle on the public highway you will be ok.

There's also road access by the Dover Lock pub at Abram or alongside at Plank Lane. 

Have a look in satellite mode along the route on Google earth 

Thanks Liam, saved me a load of time that.  The road opposite the New Park high school ? looks good if thats the spot. Is that afoot path aswell ? cant make it out.

Are you saying it is legal to launch from a main road then ? 

I was looking at google maps and i found the layby, but past the motorway bridge, tree lined though, the road down to the Pharmacy. 

I was going to call Worsley Dry Dock. You know anything about that place.not much info about on it.

Edited by W+T

Again Worsley Dry Dock doesn't have vehicular access to the canal side so not really practical. You could Boothstown marina, called Bridgewater Marina who have craned from there site before.

I wouldn't say legal to launch from a main road! But the problems with a heavy vehicle on the towpath wouldn't be a concern if the transport doesn't leave the public highway.

Off the top of my head I can think of a number of places along the Bridgewater that you would be able to use but contacting the people concerned is the big hurdle.

Preston Brook Marina

Claymoore Holiday Boats

Lymm Marina 

Hesford Marine

Canal Road, Timperley / Broadheath

Manchester University Rowing Club at Dane Road

Hall Bank Road, Patricroft 

And further along the Leeds liverpool...

Plank Lane 

Crooke Marina

Crooke Hall Inn 

Canal Bank, Appley Bridge  

47 minutes ago, W+T said:

Are you saying it is legal to launch from a main road then ? 

Technically you need a permit from CRT to crane into their canal, or indeed anywhere over their land, which is why it usually happens at boatyards and marinas. But I guess if they don't know about it until the job's done...