Adjusting crankshaft pulley on Lister HRW2

Arf

Featured Posts

Good evening.

The crankshaft pulley on my hrw2 (see photo) has come out of alignment from the water pump and alternator pulleys, leading to some chewing of the belts. 

Ive had a look over the crankshaft pulley and can't work out exactly how to loosen it. There is a grub screw that comes down onto what looks like a key(?) in a slot in the shaft. There is a second grub screw in the sprocket serving the raised hand start. 

I've had both screws out and nothing is budging, despite a few weeks of dripping plus gas at it. 

Rather than damage it, how should the pulley come free and tighten up again? This isn't in the workshop manual unfortunately. Is a special tool needed?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_20180119_205153435.jpg

I would imagine that the chip was made by someone trying to lever it off with a screwdriver, there seems to be a slight mark on the shaft where it should sit as well. As it is out of alignment with two things it seems likely that it is the pulley that has moved, unusual though especially as it is that tight. I would try to (Gently!) wedge it out with two wedges but that has risks of damaging something expensive but really a gear puller is the proper way, awkward job though, bit of heat might help.

IT will be rusted on and hard to shift. As has been pointed out, that chip is probably a previous attempt at shifting it

i have one of these on a long term job that hasn't given up to casual violence yet, I need to do something more planned and extreme

Richard

Would the whole lot be expected to move at the same time once the grub screw is out or would I need to shift the collar bit with the grub screw and raised hand start gubbins first? 

Pulleys about 7" and the stub shaft is about the same deep, so I'd guess a three legged gear puller is the way to shift it? Access is actually pretty good, thankfully

The problem I usually have is getting the jaws of a three legged puller behind the pulley

The bit with the sprocket on is separate to the pulley and should come off first. ISTR there is a grub screw that holds the pulley on in addition to the one in the sprocket hub. You have to ping off a pressed shroud to reveal the hole to undo that grubscrew, you can't do that until the sprocket is off

If I remember, on Monday I'll find some of the parts from a dismantled one and take some pictures so you can see what you are dealing with

Richard

Yes, its awfully close to the main engine to get jaws in, I had something similar years ago and managed to get a puller on but not very well, in the end I got a  few wedges and the puller on it, left it all as tight as I could get it overnight and next morning it had come apart, maybe try doing that and with a little bit of heat it could move. Just out of interest that sprocket and ratchet (?) is not covering up a taper lock bush is it?

20 minutes ago, Bee said:

Just out of interest that sprocket and ratchet (?) is not covering up a taper lock bush is it?

No, that's the standard Lister arrangement. Both parts are on a plain shaft and frequently get stuck

Richard