Featured Posts

Just thinking ahead to the next couple of jobs - one is to maybe decorate up to the gunnels (inside) so could be paint, wallpaper, (with or without that polystyrene stuff under it), or carpet.

Flooring I had thought laminate, but I've been hearing a lot about vinyl/lino lately.

Wondering what others have and especially pro's and cons regarding damp/moisture etc. For example, would carpet keep the walls warm and mould free or would it be like a sponge? Would it make any real difference to the boats thermal efficiency? Would something like vinyl flooring stop the underside from breathing perhaps?

I'm all about the practicality, as all these various coverings come in a wide range of colours and styles anyway.

Thank you - I have seen quite a few with carpet on the sides - and one could easily use the cheap cord stuff as of course it wont get walked on (hopefully not anyway!).

I'd love carpet on the floors but it just isn't practical, and I personally don't usually like carpet tiles for some reason.

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

Thank you - I have seen quite a few with carpet on the sides - and one could easily use the cheap cord stuff as of course it wont get walked on (hopefully not anyway!).

I'd love carpet on the floors but it just isn't practical, and I personally don't usually like carpet tiles for some reason.

I bought our boat in 2011 with carpet fitted in the lounge and bedroom, and vinyl in the kitchen and shower room. No problems whatsoever, and no signs of damp or anything when I lifted them in December. Just had carpet and vinyl renewed with a much plusher underlay and carpet, and a spongier vinyl.... it's lovely!!!

I've got the cord carpet that it came with up to the gunnels, which is also fine.

Edited by Richard10002

1 hour ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Halcyon had vinyl flooring. This didn't allow the wood to breath and when I took it up in the bedroom, the hardwood subfloor had turned almost to dust.

I wonder then, were I to go for laminate, if the thin plastic underlay would cause problems? Or perhaps without it the laminate might go damp and start expanding.

I do quite like the cord carpet under the gunnels idea. Is it considered a bit naff by some then?

22 minutes ago, Johny London said:

I wonder then, were I to go for laminate, if the thin plastic underlay would cause problems? Or perhaps without it the laminate might go damp and start expanding.

I do quite like the cord carpet under the gunnels idea. Is it considered a bit naff by some then?

Naff? probably, but it covers a multitude of 'joinery', it is cosy, easy enough to change and is a nice change from varnished ply. Beware of dark badly heated / ventilated corners though. So far as floor covering is concerned I would try to make the bilge accessible, so maybe ply panels? carpet tiles (not very nice but practical?) and a few nice rugs?

I've already created several large bilge access areas - in centrally located places, so I can adjust ballast etc, so whichever flooring I choose I shall have to edge the "hatches" with ali strip or something as well as put in some kind of handle points.

Will certainly have a rug in the saloon, over the flooring.

Carpet under the gunwales certainly seems naff to me. If the boat is properly insulated then I'm not really sure why a boat would need it? I don't have any damp or condensation on my walls under the gunwales. But if it's all about practicality and you think carpet on the walls is ok, then why stop at the gunwales? Why not have carpet on the cabin sides and on the ceiling too? 

17 hours ago, Johny London said:

You never know...

Currently, the lower parts of the walls get quite damp and mouldy, but then I have yet to fire up the central heating (cos some of it is still in the box it came in!).

Out of interest - recommended thickness for spray foam insulation? I've 1cm on the ceiling.

Just thought that carpet being warmer, might not get cold enough for moisture to form - but on the other hand if it did, it would be more of a problem I guess.

Recommended thickness for sprayfoam is a minimum of 1" (about 2.5cm), but some boats have a lot less in places. The more you increase sprayform thickness over about an inch, the less extra incremental insulation payback you get (the law of diminishing returns).

Your 1cm of sprayfoam will probably be more effective than boats with loose expanded polystyrene sheets or old rockwool insulation without any vapour barrier which has got damp and sagged over the years. 

Having said that, damp and mould on walls doesn't sound good.

Edited by blackrose

23 hours ago, Johny London said:

Just thinking ahead to the next couple of jobs - one is to maybe decorate up to the gunnels (inside) so could be paint, wallpaper, (with or without that polystyrene stuff under it), or carpet.

Flooring I had thought laminate, but I've been hearing a lot about vinyl/lino lately.

Wondering what others have and especially pro's and cons regarding damp/moisture etc. For example, would carpet keep the walls warm and mould free or would it be like a sponge? Would it make any real difference to the boats thermal efficiency? Would something like vinyl flooring stop the underside from breathing perhaps?

I'm all about the practicality, as all these various coverings come in a wide range of colours and styles anyway.

After looking at the options I went for solid wood tongue and groove. Time will tell if I made the right decision. I was advised against using wood becuase if the changing temperatures, damp and so on but it's been down a year and hasn't moved much, (other than where I stuffed it up). Easy to clean. My experience of laminate is it easily soaks any spillage and then looks terrible. I would have gone for block wood and a thick veneer but couldnt see the effect I wanted. So went for narrow oak planks of varying lengths to run down the boat, not across. Looks ok and I got it in a sale so it was affordable. 

I've kept the carpet that runs up to the gunnels (inside of course, but might consider doing the outside one day, it might silence the ducks when they peck). It's too much hassle to remove the carpet and I've grown to like it anyway. 

23 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I will get shot down now. Our share boat had carpet up to gunwale height and I have done the same. On the floor we have carpet tiles, Flotex ones in the galley and d Exhibition hall in the lounge area

I am in agreement. We have had several types but our favourite ( though not on this boat ) is carpeted hull up to gunwhale it keeps boat warm and looks good, no good for boat with leaky windows though. Now for the bit that some people cannot understand so here goes " As we have a dog we need to keep the floor clean so its CARPET every time for us. Good quality wool carpet like this with good underlay is quieter and warmer than wood/laminate flooring and EASIER to keep clean. Dog paw prints dry and are easily and quickly vaccumed up. Our present dog moults like hell and again easily vacced off and not as unsightly looking as the tumbleweed looked of here hairs between vaccum events all over the floor. So we carpeted this one twelve months ago and its fab and cosey. I aint doing the wall bits just yet.

Having had both I have to agree with mrsmelly on this one. Lift cordless Dyson off the charging bracket, vacuum through boat (absolute max 5-10 mins), flip lid to drop contents into bin, put back on bracket.

Alternatively get broom, sweep floor throwing 1/2 the dust into the air to settle back down, kneel down with dust pan and repeat dust moving exercise, empty into bin. Then look at muddy foot prints still on floor, get mop, smear mud around until floor looks clean, wait ages for floor to dry (smeary!) before being allowed to walk on it again!

And yes when dry, muddy foot prints just vacuum straight up from carpet. I know which I prefer!

Tom

My sprayfoam according to the boat documentation, is... SPRAYED POLYURETHANE FOAM (BS 476 part 7:1997) TO A CLASS 1 SURFACE SPREAD OF FLAME RATING

I don't know if that specifies a minimum thickness?

Totally get the carpet thing MrSmelly - carpet holds the dirt well until you are ready to hoover, but I'm still leaning towards laminate or lino floor, but with one or two rugs.

Glad to hear the carpeted gunwhales are not wholly berated - seems to be another Marmite type subject!

Has anyone experience of sheet cork, either below or above the gunwales? It's a possibility I'm considering. From what I have read it would seem to be a suitable material with no obvious negative properties. One acquaintance did suggest that it might have a strong smell, but could not recall where he had gained this impression.

30 minutes ago, rupertbear said:

Has anyone experience of sheet cork, either below or above the gunwales? It's a possibility I'm considering. From what I have read it would seem to be a suitable material with no obvious negative properties. One acquaintance did suggest that it might have a strong smell, but could not recall where he had gained this impression.

It would be a bit retro 70's as a look. Have bought cork tiles at various times to make pin boards and such like. Unsealed tiles do smell quite strongly and are soft and susceptible to damage. The sealed ones for flooring don't smell and are more resistant to knocks. Could make the interior a bit dark and gloomy

Jen

We have got Flotex carpet on the floor (comfortable to the feet, easy to hoover the hairs and mud from the dog, and fully washable) then ordinary carpet up to the gunwales in the bedrooms and cork tiles on one bedroom wall - all the rest being T&G. After 25 years all of them are still in good condition. The cork tiles were simply stuck on with Evo Stick, unsealed, and they have never been smelly.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be moving away from the carpet idea having had a look around in the shops - and am thinking to paint up the the gunwales in white. Currently it is wood with a couple of light coats of satin varnish, so it is already sealed. I was thinking silk emulsion, but a friend tells me it will all just flake off and that I should use satinwood paint. The latter is much more expensive and I'm concerned it won't roller well.

Any tips re the paint?

Whatever paint you use, you will need to wash & rub and lightly sand the varnish or the paint will not stick.  I have applied gloss with a roller, but did it in small areas and finished with light vertical brush strokes.  I would be surprised if emulsion would stick to varnish.

5 hours ago, Johny London said:

I seem to be moving away from the carpet idea having had a look around in the shops - and am thinking to paint up the the gunwales in white. Currently it is wood with a couple of light coats of satin varnish, so it is already sealed. I was thinking silk emulsion, but a friend tells me it will all just flake off and that I should use satinwood paint. The latter is much more expensive and I'm concerned it won't roller well.

Any tips re the paint?

I guess if you want to save £10.00 on paint, no one can help you :)

You could try marine type mutlcoat with a semi gloss finish. Epihanes/Hempel for example.

Preparation is essential, it takes time, time costs money

Edited by LadyG