What washing machine?...If I get one.

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've had the compact Zanussi ZWC1300 for the last 12 years. It's a great machine but if you're not on shore power you'll need a decent generator to run it - or a good inverter, battery bank and alternators - or Travelpower. I use my washing machine unmodified cold fill and run it with a Honda EU30i generator. Sometimes it starts straight away from the generator and sometimes it waits for half an hour before it will accept the generator as a power source, but once it starts it's fine.

Unrelated I know but the EU30i is a brilliant piece of kit innitt

I have moved over to fleece type clothing which is easy to wash and dries overnight Same applies to towels,  I will replace towelling with micrfibre, and I alredy use kittchen towel roll to dry my hands, much more hygienic.

I might use a laundrette to give the denims and bedding a good blast every few weeks if they don't cope with the on board option. 

Edited by LadyG

23 hours ago, smileypete said:

For a narrowboat, best option may be a full size slim depth machine, with a cold wash setting.

Failing that a studio size wm is better than none at all. :)

Finging slimmer depth ones is tricky as I can't any filters on size...was sure some sights use them but not any I can see atm 

23 hours ago, dccruiser said:

..... back to washing machines :) , I had both a compact washer and compact dryer , both 3kg which ran perfectly either on my inverter or my genny. I have recently replaced them with a 11kg wash/ 7kg dry washer dryer which is brilliant as it will wash a king size quilt... So, although it would be pushing it trying to run it on the inverter or genny, rather than doing that, whilst CC'ing i will just spend a night in a marina every 2-3 weeks and just spend 24 hours washing and drying on a hook up.

Rick

Am fast coming to the conclusion that this is best way for me.......am not a 'Skim Jim' and big longer leg jeans weigh heavy so the 11/7 KG option is probably safest. Hooking up every couple of weeks is no great pain as am still working so makes sense for this option.

• Happy 1

From what I've seen, they all look to be thinner now than a few years ago - might be a question of thin or even thinner. Mines old school but can still just about get the pipes behind so anything modern will probably be better in that respect. Might need to read the specs for each machine - a bit slow I know.

4 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Finging slimmer depth ones is tricky as I can't any filters on size...was sure some sights use them but not any I can see atm 

Am fast coming to the conclusion that this is best way for me.......am not a 'Skim Jim' and big longer leg jeans weigh heavy so the 11/7 KG option is probably safest. Hooking up every couple of weeks is no great pain as am still working so makes sense for this option.

Well in my world I don't compromise on anything, I have done it for enough years on other narrow boats and cruisers, but this one is my home and sole residence so has to be 100% ... I also like the fact once a month I can wash and dry my king size duvet, bath sheets, curtains and cushion covers etc. With no waiting for a washing machine or dryer to be free in the launderette, with my machine I just set the wash programme add the drying programme push the button 3hours 15 minutes later it's all done :)

Rick

I bought a full size (though slimmer depth) Hoover 1600 spin thing... 1800watts. It runs fine from the inverter (3kw pure sinewave from photonic universe)... it lets you set the temperature to "no heat" and when I pour a couple of 5 litre water bottles (filled from the hot tap) does a 7kg 1600 spin load in 59 mins... never drawing more than 600 watts.

https://narrowboatellis.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=washing+machine

We also got a 4kg hotpoint vented dryer which fits at the bottom of the larder cupboard and whilst I can't use full heat (2.2kw) - (even with the engine running) without the batteries getting a hammering, it DOES run on half power (obbiously for a bit longer) when we chug around fine.

• Greenie 1

On 19/01/2018 at 15:33, mrsmelly said:

As a full time liveaboard and not being cavemen we would never be without one, others like humping bags of washing to launderettes as they are kinky but that's their choice. I prefer twintubs and they wash well with less leccy etc but hard to come buy for a full size one nowadays. DO NOT buy one of the smaller automatics we have done that in the past but in reality they take up nearly as much room as a proper one and cost too much.We have an LG which are not cheap but no silly belts to snap etc though we have owned lots of others. Generaly best to go with pure sine inverter or gennie but even then some machines can be arsey about the power source. Provided you get the set up correct from the start they are all simple enough to fit.

Agree on all points except the smaller automatic. Our 3kg Candy is now 14 years old and is the dog's whatsits. Consumes very little space, is kind on the batteries (as washers go) and does a fine job. My wife says it is very good, so if my wife is happy, then I am happy. Dead easy to get in and out of the boat too. 10/10 from me. I agree they are more expensive than a larger auto washer, which cost buttons these days but we were happy to pay for the convenience.

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

I like the sound of filling from the hot - how do you know when to put the water in - is it just right at the start? Also how did you know how much and does it just pour in via the soap drawer?

I may well give that a try.

We have done this for donkey's years. The old Candy we have allows you to simply chuck a couple of litres of hot water in the drum with the washing. Saves endless generator/engine time. I suspect more modern, fancier machines might spit their dummy out?

6 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Agree on all points except the smaller automatic. Our 3kg Candy is now 14 years old and is the dog's whatsits. Consumes very little space, is kind on the batteries (as washers go) and does a fine job. My wife says it is very good, so if my wife is happy, then I am happy. Dead easy to get in and out of the boat too. 10/10 from me. I agree they are more expensive than a larger auto washer, which cost buttons these days but we were happy to pay for the convenience.

I agree they work well BUT not only are they overpriced on purchase because of their small capacity they use more water and more leccy because they need filling twice and need to run for two full cycles to do say 6kg as opposed to once for a standard machine. You will tell me vetus engines are good value next ;)

8 hours ago, smileypete said:

Pricerunner do.

:cheers: will take a look.....AO.Com do it at a push but you have drill down first

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree they work well BUT not only are they overpriced on purchase because of their small capacity they use more water and more leccy because they need filling twice and need to run for two full cycles to do say 6kg as opposed to once for a standard machine. You will tell me vetus engines are good value next ;)

Ooohhhh...that sounds like a cattle prod to the backside comment!?....I know you NEVER provoke in fun but!!? :D

11 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Ooohhhh...that sounds like a cattle prod to the backside comment!?....I know you NEVER provoke in fun but!!? :D

:D Stans from Lancashire wherever that is? hes used to being ribbed :D

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I can agree on the water, and the price issue, but the leccy never. Our machine consumes next to bugger all when we do the "hot water" trick. The motor is of a much smaller wattage than a larger machine, though the heater element may not be (which we never use so can't comment.) The washing machine we have in the house has a bloody huge motor in it, I am surprised it can run on single phase! I would hate that in the boat.
Now about the Vetus; as the chairman of the Vetus Owner's Club, on behalf of both of our members, I take great exception to your comment young man!

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:D Stans from Lancashire wherever that is? hes used to being ribbed :D

Aye lad. it goes with the territory ;)

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, Johny London said:

I like the sound of filling from the hot - how do you know when to put the water in - is it just right at the start? Also how did you know how much and does it just pour in via the soap drawer?

I may well give that a try.

It's not an exact science...  The book that came with it says what each cycle uses (well not a book a slip of paper) and my best guess was that at 55 litres a load, circa 10-12 will be the "wash" part and the remainder the rinse... ergo, if I stuff it full, I pour in 2 and half 5 litre water bottles down the draw...  by having 1 filled and ready to pour in before pressing start THEN filling the 2nd bottle as the machine takes in the cold itself, i figure it slows the amount of cold going in so if say the calorifier is letting out 60 degree water, by the time I've poured it in, and the machine has had an attempt at filling itself, the end result will be circa 45 degrees... give or take.  Anyway - it works ok and by telling the machine not to heat at all,  uses bugger all of the batteries...  I can comfortably get a full load done and pegged out before 8 am (ie no engine running) with only 2% used on the smart-gauge.

I DID buy a "Y" to connect in with a tap to fill direct from the hot supply but never got arround to it... figuring at some point I'd forget to switch the around and end up rinsing in hot water too.