New housing developments to lose right to complain about existing noise.

Señor Chris

Featured Posts

It does seem to be a step in the right direction; to move next door to a factory/ concert hall/ church/ farm/ etc. and then to complain about the noise or smell which it emits strikes me as an appallingly intolerant and selfish attitude - and a short-sighted one too; did the people not take a look around the surrounding area before buying their house? If not, that's their hard luck.

I don't think there's any suggestion of banning mooring, if the moorings were there before the new houses were - which they almost always will have been.

16 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42745611

'Sounds' like good news - apparently, under current planning rules, owners of noise-generating locations are under obligation to sound-proof new housing built nearby. Or on the canals, move the problem elsewhere by banning mooring.

Not strictly true.

If there is a potential noise issue on a proposed development a noise survey is carried out. If this proves a problem may exist then it is up to the developer to mitigate against it.

Not uncommon.

23 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not strictly true.

If there is a potential noise issue on a proposed development a noise survey is carried out. If this proves a problem may exist then it is up to the developer to mitigate against it.

Not uncommon.

Yes that can happen as part of the planning approval process.  But it is not the whole story.

If, after a development is completed and occupied, the new occupier complains to the local authority of a nuisance caused by an adjacent property (whether new or existing since long before the occupier moved in), the local authority can require the creator of that nuisance to end or reduce the nuisance. Hence church bells being silenced, farmers having to stop cocks crowing etc.

This new change looks to help on the first point, but unless the laws on nuisance are changed, we are still going to see cases of the latter.

There is a small development of up-market houses next to Acton Church, near Nantwich.   The sales particulars and signs by the show house make it very clear that bell ringing will happen on Tuesday evenings and at weekends.  No excuse for anyone buying a house to say they don't like the bells.

• Happy 2

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I don't think there's any suggestion of banning mooring, if the moorings were there before the new houses were - which they almost always will have been.

Whilst not exactly banning mooring, signs have been erected at the old moorings at Macclesfield telling boaters not to run engines, difficult if you need to charge batteries, new moorings have been installed at great expense further away from the new houses, and the water point moved to the maintenance yard where it is not always available for use.

Meanwhile, more new houses are now being built opposite the NEW moorings.  Watch this space!

George

1 minute ago, Athy said:

But potential householders can see that there are boats moored opposite them before they buy a house there, so there should be no problem.

Please tell BWB/CRT who have spent six figure sums of OUR money appeasing these people rather than telling them where to go!

George

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not always as simple as you imagine: a line of housing was built next to the railway near here, and purchasers shown the timetable [7.00 am to 11.00  pm].

True: after 11.00 pm the coal trains started up, about a mile long, and very very heavy.

I thought there were plenty of examples of traditional moorings being lost [Saltaire?]

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not always as simple as you imagine: a line of housing was built next to the railway near here, and purchasers shown the timetable [7.00 am to 11.00  pm].

True: after 11.00 pm the coal trains started up, about a mile long, and very very heavy.

Likewise - local development highlighting the twice hourly service to London in reasonable hours from the local station and the modest amount of noise caused - no mention at all of the 10-12 Virgin trains per hour which pass at 125 MPH plus for 19 of the 24 hours. Or the goods trains on the way through to the channel tunnel...

53 minutes ago, billS said:

Train can run at night? Who'd a thunk it?

Oh - and the power station is closed now, so the homeowners can rest in peace.

Not sure about,  that we can still buy coal, so how is that routed if not China to Clydeport?

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not sure about,  that we can still buy coal, so how is that routed if not China to Clydeport?

Coal by rail is 90% for power station generation.

The government has forced the closure of most coal fired generation capacity.

For example, as I type this only 2.4% of our electricity requirement for the UK is being provided by coal.

George

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

Whilst not exactly banning mooring, signs have been erected at the old moorings at Macclesfield telling boaters not to run engines, difficult if you need to charge batteries, new moorings have been installed at great expense further away from the new houses, and the water point moved to the maintenance yard where it is not always available for use.

Meanwhile, more new houses are now being built opposite the NEW moorings.  Watch this space!

George

The new moorings/pontoon were installed as part of a deal between CRT and the developers. CRT agreed to give up the offline moorings where the hire boats (can't remember the name of the company) and the other offline moorings going as far as Buxton Road bridge in exchange for the new pontoon.

1 minute ago, DaveandDebby said:

The new moorings/pontoon were installed as part of a deal between CRT and the developers. CRT agreed to give up the offline moorings where the hire boats (can't remember the name of the company) and the other offline moorings going as far as Buxton Road bridge in exchange for the new pontoon.

That sounds like CRT got the new mooring pontoons free of charge.

It sounds strange, given that they owned the land opposite the pontoons and were able to get a better price for the land by selling it all rather than keeping a strip for mooring.  In publicity, CRT also proudly announced that THEY had invested £170,000 (of our money) in improved moorings at Macclesfield by installing pontoons.

Still, either way, if new householders start complaining there is some background info to reject them.

George

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

George

Yes, but the old moorings were appalling - you couldn't get anywhere close to the bank and the rocks on the bottom ground away at the boat all the time.  Nor could you get within a couple of feet of the bank where the water points were situated - and they were the only marked visitor moorings anyway. The new pontoon moorings are pretty good.  I agree about the water point!

41 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

That sounds like CRT got the new mooring pontoons free of charge.

It sounds strange, given that they owned the land opposite the pontoons and were able to get a better price for the land by selling it all rather than keeping a strip for mooring.  In publicity, CRT also proudly announced that THEY had invested £170,000 (of our money) in improved moorings at Macclesfield by installing pontoons.

Still, either way, if new householders start complaining there is some background info to reject them.

George

The publicity I saw locally was that an agreement had been struck between CRT and the developers, allowing the developers to build on the land, and CRT to have the new pontoon. I have seen the "blurb" from the developers for the new retirement apartments, and the pictures clearly show the pontoon. 

18 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

The publicity I saw locally was that an agreement had been struck between CRT and the developers, allowing the developers to build on the land, and CRT to have the new pontoon. I have seen the "blurb" from the developers for the new retirement apartments, and the pictures clearly show the pontoon. 

I have found the CRT press release from the time.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/new-canal-moorings-in-macclesfield

George

34 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I have found the CRT press release from the time.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/new-canal-moorings-in-macclesfield

George

Yes. The developers wouldn't have got planning permission without CRT's help, and CRT wouldn't have got the pontoons without the developers help. The towpath there doesn't look much better to me - though I tend not to walk along that way very often now. 

As I said, the brochures for the new retirement complex, with hairdresser, beauty salon, spa Silver Service restaurant etc, clearly showed computer generated pictures with the pontoon and boats opposite the apartments - referred to as part of the "attractive outlook", if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Yes, but the old moorings were appalling - you couldn't get anywhere close to the bank and the rocks on the bottom ground away at the boat all the time.  Nor could you get within a couple of feet of the bank where the water points were situated - and they were the only marked visitor moorings anyway. The new pontoon moorings are pretty good.  I agree about the water point!

Those stones: two years ago we set off from Autherley Junction with a new prop fitted and made our way up to Macclesfield where we wanted to moor briefly to have lunch and pop to a local shop. As we came alongside there was a nasty sound and when we set off later we rapidly discovered that we had severely re-shaped the new prop! This resulted in having to dry dock and replace - not cheap but we did manage an insurance claim.