Launching a small cruiser ?

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi all, i am starting to plan the launch of my 20 foot cruiser in about 4 months time. I am saving for a trailer but a few things have cropped up and i need more time for that fund now.

I spoke to a few chaps with a trailer but as it is on hard standing and at my house they will not drag it on in case of any damage to the boat or there trailer. Understandable. I have done it many a time myself but then i had my own trailer and boats.

I have called around also for trailer hire but nobody does that anymore around here.

Only way i can think of for now to get it launched is by Hiab again.

So if anybody knows of one on hire can you please let on. It will be going from Manchester M26 4HU to Boothstown Marina  M28 1YB

Cheers

Wayne :)

Edited by W+T

31 minutes ago, W+T said:

Hi all, i am starting to plan the launch of my 20 foot cruiser in about 4 months time. I am saving for a trailer but a few things have cropped up and i need more time for that fund now.

I spoke to a few chaps with a trailer but as it is on hard standing and at my house they will not drag it on in case of any damage to the boat or there trailer. Understandable. I have done it many a time myself but then i had my own trailer and boats.

I have called around also for trailer hire but nobody does that anymore around here.

Only way i can think of for now to get it launched is by Hiab again.

So if anybody knows of one on hire can you please let on. It will be going from Manchester M26 4HU to Boothstown Marina  M28 1YB

Cheers

Wayne :)

Any use?   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-B-SIGMA-11-17-FEET-BRAKED-BOAT-TRAILER-MTW-1100KG/272946658681?hash=item3f8ce37d79:g:2GEAAOSwWLBaEx9n

20 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Nah. Not long enough and payload is not enough. At a gurss the boat lafen will be around 1600kg. Need a 2000kg payload trailer to be safe. 

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Give Tony Anderson (Tony Tugboat) a ring. He is often recovering peoples boats from their own property. Nice chap and very fair with his prices.

We are using him again this year.

I was going to call him today but been rather busy and forgot. I cant see him being a few hundred quid though Rach.

11 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Give Tony Anderson (Tony Tugboat) a ring. He is often recovering peoples boats from their own property. Nice chap and very fair with his prices.

We are using him again this year.

7 minutes ago, W+T said:

I was going to call him today but been rather busy and forgot. I cant see him being a few hundred quid though Rach.

From experience if you let him do your short move when he is passing with an empty trailer ( probably a Scotland run) he will give you a discount as he doesn't need to do extra dead miles to/from Milton Keynes.

Hiab is the way to go. Contact your local scaffolding companies. I got my boat moved for a couple of hundred pounds  by the local scaffolding lorry driver.

The hiab drives usually get access to the vehicle on weekends, so long as they top them back up with diesel. So are happy to make abit of extra cash at the weekend... 

Just my thoughts. Good luck with the launch, I enjoy following your build blog.

On 1/19/2018 at 20:55, Naughty Cal said:

You might be surprised if you have no set date in mind.

On 1/19/2018 at 21:16, Canal321 said:

Hiab is the way to go. Contact your local scaffolding companies. I got my boat moved for a couple of hundred pounds  by the local scaffolding lorry driver.

The hiab drives usually get access to the vehicle on weekends, so long as they top them back up with diesel. So are happy to make abit of extra cash at the weekend... 

Just my thoughts. Good luck with the launch, I enjoy following your build blog.

I called Tony today and its a fair price but i got a HIAB cheaper. His min is £350 which is what he would charge me on a return trip and to his times. So not bad but as his trailer is 30 foot it will not fit in the room i have to get the boat on the trailer, i need a max 23 maybe 24 foot trailer. 

I got a £325 HIAB quote whihc is way better. Shocked at the price as i have used them before, other companies, all around £600.

I need to sort a launch site now, in another thread. 

Thanks for the help ;)

22 hours ago, W+T said:

I called Tony today and its a fair price but i got a HIAB cheaper. His min is £350 which is what he would charge me on a return trip and to his times. So not bad but as his trailer is 30 foot it will not fit in the room i have to get the boat on the trailer, i need a max 23 maybe 24 foot trailer. 

I got a £325 HIAB quote whihc is way better. Shocked at the price as i have used them before, other companies, all around £600.

I need to sort a launch site now, in another thread. 

Thanks for the help ;)

Good luck with the launch Wayne! I look forward to reading about it and seeing the pictures........ what an amazing moment for you to finally put it in the water!

• Greenie 1