Looking for a new boat? This may suit you.

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They were a crap car. Why would anyone think they would make anything other then a crap boat :blink:

Your opinion, and of course you are welcome to express it. Many tens of thousands of enthusiastic owners and lovers of 2CVs and the variants may very well disagree with you.

• Greenie 3

Just now, Athy said:

Surely a car which was in production for 30 years, and of which five million were sold, must have had some merit?

Such as?

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

Your opinion, and of course you are welcome to express it. Many tens of thousands of enthusiastic owners and lovers of 2CVs and the variants may very well disagree with you.

Yes there are some strange bods around. Much the same as the VW lot. 

Doesn't make their cars good though.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

They were a crap car. Why would anyone think they would make anything other then a crap boat :blink:

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

Surely a car which was in production for 30 years, and of which five million were sold, must have had some merit?

They were actually in production for more than forty years, and the reason for their simple design was that they were originally introduced to enable small farmers to get produce to market without having to use a horse and cart, hence the model name 2CV which is short for " deux chevaux-vapeur "

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

They were actually in production for more than forty years, and the reason for their simple design was that they were originally introduced to enable small farmers to get produce to market without having to use a horse and cart, hence the model name 2CV which is short for " deux chevaux-vapeur "

Your criticism of my mental arithmetic is fully justified, 1949 to 1990 is indeed over 40 years (were i a nit-picker I could point out that therefore they were indeed in production for 30 years, but I'm not so I shan't).

CV stands for Chevaux (horsepower). No steam (vapeur) involved, nor any Percherons . The chevaux were of the fiscal variety formerly used to calculate the road tax payable on cars in France.

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Economical; versatile; practical; durable; lovable.

(The last one is of course in the eye of the beholder).

To which might be added: well designed, easily repairable, innovative ( the radial tyre was invented for 2CVs).

Having owned 2CVS, Dyanes and Morris Minors, there is in my opinion, no question which is the better car.

12 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

To which might be added: well designed, easily repairable, innovative ( the radial tyre was invented for 2CVs).

Having owned 2CVS, Dyanes and Morris Minors, there is in my opinion, no question which is the better car.

Lets be honest. They are all crap cars every owner would have preffered a Jag or a Roller there is one reason and one reason only why they sold in large numbers and that was Price!!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Lets be honest. They are all crap cars every owner would have preffered a Jag or a Roller there is one reason and one reason only why they sold in large numbers and that was Price!!

You might have preferred a jag or rolls, but not me. The nearest I ever got to that sort of car was loving the 1936 Bentley my dad came home with long ago, but a rolls or jag, never.

7 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

You might have preferred a jag or rolls, but not me. The nearest I ever got to that sort of car was loving the 1936 Bentley my dad came home with long ago, but a rolls or jag, never.

Ive had umpteen Jags and just to out do any one who thinks they have been romantic in their time when I married the present wife I hired a white Roller for the wedding day as do many folks but  as a surprise for the wife and a surprise to the cars owner I talked him in to selling me it on a whim, so I bought it and parked it near our boat  and gave her the keys a few days after the wedding. We were living on a boat without a washing machine at the time and she used to cringe taking the washing to the launderette in it :lol: I like most people have had plenty of budget cars and only ever now run bangers but lets be honest the 2 cv and moggy thou sold loads due to price and running costs. The 1936 Bentley what a fab motor.

22 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I guess that I was thinking along those lines when I mentioned "practical", yes. At one time , when I lived in France, I travelled in numerous deuches and I remember features such as face-level ventilation (turn a little wheel and a panel in the scuttle opened up to let air in, but not insects as it had a gauze mesh across the inside), sprung seats (attached to the seat frame by large rubber bands) and back seats which could be lifted out as one unit - meant to increase load carrying space, but I have more than once seen a couple sitting beside their 2CV, on the rear seat unit, using it as a pair of picnic chairs.