RCR Engine inspection

Featured Posts

I did their engine coarse a few years ago for the same reason and as a novice to all things diesel it was very informative and sufficient for me to now do my own servicing. I suspect the one to one benefit of what your proposing will be down to what the individual engineer is like.

30 minutes ago, bill brown said:

I'm thinking of booking the River Canal Rescue engine inspection and service. Anyone here booked it in the past and is it worth £190? In future I'd like to do things such as oil and filter changes myself but I'd like to watch someone who knows what they're doing do it first!

They do a personal engine maintenance course on your own boat, now £170 plus parts.

https://shop.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/Courses/PersonalEngineMaintenance.aspx

I did it when I got my boat, to refresh my memory of servicing engines (spoilt by years of company car ownership) and to familiarise myself with the idiosyncrasies of my boat. 

Course lasts 4 hours, and as the technician had completed the engine course in much less than that, he showed me how to look after various other systems.

29 minutes ago, cuthound said:

They do a personal engine maintenance course on your own boat, now £170 plus parts.

https://shop.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/Courses/PersonalEngineMaintenance.aspx

I did it when I got my boat, to refresh my memory of servicing engines (spoilt by years of company car ownership) and to familiarise myself with the idiosyncrasies of my boat. 

Course lasts 4 hours, and as the technician had completed the engine course in much less than that, he showed me how to look after various other systems.

I was looking at this http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/other-services/engine-inspections/ but the maintenance course seems more practical. Thanks for the quick responses.....now where's my chequebook :lol:

1 hour ago, bill brown said:

I'm thinking of booking the River Canal Rescue engine inspection and service. Anyone here booked it in the past and is it worth £190? In future I'd like to do things such as oil and filter changes myself but I'd like to watch someone who knows what they're doing do it first!

Yes, they did ours last autumn, and at a lower cost than the marina which had previously serviced it. I did notice the fitter having to phone a friend to ask about aspects of the engine ( a Gardner - surely they encounter these fairly often?) but in the end it seemed to work O.K. RCR did attempt to levy an extra charge over and above what they'd quoted, I refused to pay the extra and they have kept quiet since.

3 hours ago, bill brown said:

The first time I needed my filters changed, I paid someone to change them and I watched and asked questions.  They didn't mind talking me through it at all. The oil filter was obvious but the fuel filter I hadn't a clue, never having worked on a diesel engine. 

What Cuthound suggests sounds perfect.