A lucky escape

rgreg

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Old Salt said:

Certainly was a lucky escape, although can't imagine why the fishing boat didn't take avoiding action...easy to say after the event though.

presumably their engine wasn't running as they were fishing off the back, looks like about 5 seconds max from realisation that the other boat wasn't going to change course to impact, I wouldn't think that you could get to the controls, get the engine started and get the boat out of the way in that time.

16 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

presumably their engine wasn't running as they were fishing off the back, looks like about 5 seconds max from realisation that the other boat wasn't going to change course to impact, I wouldn't think that you could get to the controls, get the engine started and get the boat out of the way in that time.

I made it just 8 seconds from when they first saw it to impact. In that short a time the driver could have just turned his head to pick up a cup of tea.

It's pretty clear from that video that the fishermen had little or no time to start the engine and move, and that the captain and steerer of the oncoming boat were negligent in failing to keep a proper lookout ahead at that speed. The article says the steerer uses a mobility scooter and quotes him as saying that from his sitting position he couldn't see the boat; that's no excuse, if someone disabled is going to steer a boat it has to be done in a safe manner, whether by adapting equipment or providing someone to assist.

3 minutes ago, Peter X said:

The article says the steerer uses a mobility scooter and quotes him as saying that from his sitting position he couldn't see the boat;

With an unbelievable statement (admission) like that I can see the US law firms already rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of litigation by the ‘victims’.  It’s going to cost someone a fortune in damages never mind what was done to the two boats.