Blacking

Featured Posts

Hi, just a few questions hopefully someone can advise please, ive booked in to have our 48 ft nb blacked. Been quoted 400 for lift out pressure wash blacking  using bitumen & return, if want intertuff it will cost another £80 is this usual,a rip off? any opinions welcome. 

It sounds quite low to me.

Presumably the quote is for only 2 coats?

It's worth finding out:

1) Whether it will only be pressure washed, or whether any other wire brushing or the like will take place.
2) How long it will be out.  Anything less than 24 hours between oats, and 48 hours after the last one isn't really ideal.  A lot of places skimp on this to turn their facility around as soon as possible ready for the next boat.

If the job is imminent, be aware that it's not the best time of year to be blacking because the steel is too cold. There will be condensation, the blacking itself will be thick and gooey and curing times will be longer. If you can wait til warmer weather, you'll get a better job.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

If the job is imminent, be aware that it's not the best time of year to be blacking because the steel is too cold. There will be condensation, the blacking itself will be thick and gooey and curing times will be longer. If you can wait til warmer weather, you'll get a better job.

Every word true. I would add that the bottom needs doing too, is that included? if so then that is indeed a good price.

You might ask that they use Keelblack, waterbased bitumen, can go onto a damp surface. I'm sure it's been discussed here before, did mine with it. 

Hiring dry dock in Hebden Bridge and cost of Keelblack was just over £400. So you've got a good price.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

You might ask that they use Keelblack, waterbased bitumen, can go onto a damp surface. I'm sure it's been discussed here before, did mine with it. 

Hiring dry dock in Hebden Bridge and cost of Keelblack was just over £400. So you've got a good price.

The curing times for Keelblack (and Fertan rust treatment if used) in these temperatures will be as long, if not longer than normal blacking.

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The curing times for Keelblack (and Fertan rust treatment if used) in these temperatures will be as long, if not longer than normal blacking.

Of course, but it removes the "damp surface" problem.

With free paint and a free dry dock, would your clean, scrape and wirebrush, then black a 48ft boat twice - for £400 ? - as a way of earning money in a business.

I know I wouldn't.

Having said that. My solicitor might do it - if it could be done in less than an hour.

7 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

With free paint and a free dry dock, would your clean, scrape and wirebrush, then black a 48ft boat twice - for £400 ? - as a way of earning money in a business.

I know I wouldn't.

Having said that. My solicitor might do it - if it could be done in less than an hour.

£50 per hr

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

I know I wouldn't.

Well, rather than have facilities standing unused and labour doing nothing, I think £400 would be better, its probably less than eight hours labour.

3 hours ago, Horace42 said:

I know I wouldn't.

I recall a conversation with someone in the know when Cropredy marina introduced its dry dock. The annual rent for the dock to the marina owners was circa £20,000. I don't think your going to get rich, unless you own the dock and the land/water its on.