Foot operated water tap

jenevers

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Because its so important not to waste water, on a boat, I’m surprised that there isn’t (as far as I know) some kind of foot operated water tap valve, so that water isn’t running unnecessarily when brushing your teeth etc. 

There is, whale do one - although these are manual pumps not valves.   However you can get the 12 valves easily, those rest rooms that have the taps that turn on automatically have them.

Edited by Robbo

9 minutes ago, Robbo said:

There is, whale do one - although these are manual pumps not valves.   However you can get the 12 valves easily, those rest rooms that have the taps that turn on automatically have them.

Yes I know about the Whale foot pumps. I meant touch sensitive switches/valves, not something you have to pump.

The “rest room” type sound ideal (and so obvious!?), has anyone got them on board?

I’m going to have a look on EBay.

Edited by jenevers

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Yes I know about the Whale foot pumps. I meant touch sensitive switches/valves, not something you have to pump.

The “rest room” type sound ideal (and so obvious!?), has anyone got them on board?

I’m going to have a look on EBay.

If you didn't want to replace the tap, then you would just need a couple (for hot and cold) of 12v solenoid valves (normally closed / non latching).   The taps tend to be for just washing hands so are a pre-mixed temperature.

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Because its so important not to waste water, on a boat, I’m surprised that there isn’t (as far as I know) some kind of foot operated water tap valve, so that water isn’t running unnecessarily when brushing your teeth etc. 

Why do you need a specific tap when you have a brain and and a hand?

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, jenevers said:

On our bathroom tap (which doubles up as the shower head) there is a handle on the back that you have to press for water to come out. Saves loads of water.

One of these:

http://www.penguineng.com/TapsShowers/Showers-Basin/DS0211PenguinTap.php

I had a manual foot pump on my Shetland cruiser. I ripped it out and fitted an electric pump with a push button. It only used the water while the button was pressed. I suppose I could have used a touch sensitive switch and relay but that would have been massive overkill.

had a foot operated water pump on our Nauticus 27 which was supplied new. Could now wash your hands under running water. The only advantage that the Nauticus had over the Freeman 22

Edited by Tonka
grammer correction

On 1/17/2018 at 09:56, jenevers said:

I'm pretty sure that we had one on Fulbourne in between having a manual foot pump then 'proper' taps, will try and find out the make. If I remember correctly it was an air pump which operated the pump switch.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

On 1/17/2018 at 09:56, jenevers said:

Something like these to operate the pump!

https://www.asap-supplies.com/waterproof-foot-operated-switch-711605

Tim

On 1/17/2018 at 10:56, jenevers said:

That was all there was in early leisure boats  mostly on the plywood cruisers with OB motor the available "leccy" nil or very limited  was  with the march of progress in terms of one or more alternators & huge battery banks powered water pumps & other "Gismos" are now standard fittings

Hints for saving water 

Clean teeth using a mug or glass, dip brush in to moisten it, clean teeth, use mug to rinse. Job done 

For showering, turn on water and wet yourself, turn off water and soap up, turn on water and rinse. Job done 

Washing machine? set it on economy setting. Job done 

Washing up, wait till you have a full bowl  then by using your eye and experience put just sufficient water in the bowl and get cracking. Job done

In all this minimal water was used and no foot operated switch was needed, the only things needed were a hand to turn on the tap and an eye to judge the water level in whatever receptacle is used 

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Something like these to operate the pump!

https://www.asap-supplies.com/waterproof-foot-operated-switch-711605

Tim

One snag is that as it's a windlass control the chrome cover need a to be flipped up to allow you to apply your foot to the red button.

Phil

22 hours ago, blackrose said:

Foot operated water taps are widely used on boats, just not widely used on canal boats.

There's more to life boats than narrow boats.

Why would a life boat need washing facilities? I would hope to have been rescued before then. :giggles:

• Haha 1