Hot water (or not) at the taps

locostmike

Featured Posts

My eberspacher is chugging along nicely with the radiators getting hot but the water at the taps is only lukewarm? Any thoughts on how to get it hot? I didn't think there was any adjustment on the eberspacher for water temperature. Might it be something to do with the tank? Thanks

Mike 

If the ebersputter is only a 4kw one then it could take a while with the radiators on.   In this weather and depending on your insulation your rads may be using all the heat to heat your boat.    You have a SF stove?  Turn ya rads off/down to see.    If hot water gets hot then you may want to see if you can balance it so your hot water gets more of the Ebersputter heat?

Edited by Robbo

Assuming all well with the rest of your hot water and heating system as per checks above...

There should be a balancing valve in the central heating circuit leg to/from the calorifier. This controls the heat being given up to the hot water tank. If this valve is not open sufficiently, it will restrict the flow through the calorifier too much resulting in your symptoms. If it's open too much, the flow through the calorifier will be too great resulting in your Eberspacher shuting down too early, and you'll then have a short cycling heater (speeding up and slowing down) and  cool radiators instead.

Note where the valve is now before you mess about with it. When you turn on your heating, feel the input and output of the calorifier coil. If one side is hot, the other side should feel slightly cooler as the heat goes into the water in the tank. In your case, it's likely to be much colder if the flow is too little. Should you open it up a bit  if its the same temp as the input the flow is too high. Eberspacher manual is available on line for the proper set up procedure. 

A 4kW heater will easily cope with a 60' boat, in fact it will be better (IMHO} than a 5jw because these things need to be worked hard or they coke up and die an early death.

2 hours ago, locostmike said:

My eberspacher is chugging along nicely with the radiators getting hot but the water at the taps is only lukewarm? Any thoughts on how to get it hot? I didn't think there was any adjustment on the eberspacher for water temperature. Might it be something to do with the tank? Thanks

Mike 

Is this a new problem or has it always been like this?