Lidl fire extinguishers

blackrose

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Their very size is too small to effectively fight a fire,

That is the point I was making in post #4.

A 1kg extinguisher discharges completely in 12 seconds, it may give a temporary 'knock-back' but is rarely sufficient to extinguish a fire if it has 'got hold' of an furnishings, woodwork etc.

I had fire training with the RAF and one of the biggest mistakes that people make with extinguishers is to 

1) try and fight the fire, an extinguisher should be used as an aid to exit.

2) have a false sense of security (by having undersized or incorrect type of extinguishers).

• Greenie 3

6 hours ago, BWM said:

Co2 will render you unconscious if used in a confined area but could safely be used for an engine fire on a cruiser stern, i.e. outside the boat.

Size of fire extinguishers is much less important than using one correctly. 

I'm aware of the effect of CO2 in a confined space  and disagree that the size ie the capacity of fire extinguishers is not important having had to fight fires on more than one occasion ( and no, not on my boat ) I can assure you that having sufficient capacity to knock back a fire is very important. Perhaps you can tell me if I'm wrong for tackling the fire at it's base, should  I just wildly spray it around in the general vicinity and hope for the best 

Phil 

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

I'm aware of the effect of CO2 in a confined space  and disagree that the size ie the capacity of fire extinguishers is not important having had to fight fires on more than one occasion ( and no, not on my boat ) I can assure you that having sufficient capacity to knock back a fire is very important. Perhaps you can tell me if I'm wrong for tackling the fire at it's base, should  I just wildly spray it around in the general vicinity and hope for the best 

Phil 

They are indeed useful Phil ,I have a CO2 Extinguisher In the Adjacent Compartment to the Engine Room.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

They are indeed useful Phil ,I have a CO2 Extinguisher In the Adjacent Compartment to the Engine Room.

Also very useful for stopping a runaway diesel engine.

Not a fire, an actual explosion really. Why, I was only last night roasting some chestnuts on a shovel in my stove when one went off with a big bang, flew out and struck me plumb on the nose. I thought they're supposed to hit you on the chest.  I'd forgotten to prick them all first to prevent internal pressure build up.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is the point I was making in post #4.

A 1kg extinguisher discharges completely in 12 seconds, it may give a temporary 'knock-back' but is rarely sufficient to extinguish a fire if it has 'got hold' of an furnishings, woodwork etc.

I had fire training with the RAF and one of the biggest mistakes that people make with extinguishers is to 

1) try and fight the fire, an extinguisher should be used as an aid to exit.

2) have a false sense of security (by having undersized or incorrect type of extinguishers).

That was the view of my Great Uncle who was the chief fire investigator for the Surrey Brigade in the 1970's and 1980's. 

22 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

What's the problem with CO2 extinguishers?

(snip)

Nothing, really! They cannot be counted for the BSS, though, as they do not have an "A" rating, and thus are below the minimum 5A/34B required for each extinguisher by the BSS. 

The point made above about confined spaces is valid, but also applies to dry powder, although not to the same extent. (It's not a good idea to inhale the powder!)

5 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Phil 

You asked the question as to why they are not acceptable for the Bsc, hence my answer. Having been employed by Calor and driving around with many tonnes of lpg for a living, I stand by my comments on using an extinguisher correctly being more important than size - under ADR regulations you are provided with two on an hgv, a small one in the cab and another towards the back under the bed of the truck. If dealing with a tyre fire I know my first point of call.

10 hours ago, BWM said:

You asked the question as to why they are not acceptable for the Bsc, hence my answer. Having been employed by Calor and driving around with many tonnes of lpg for a living, I stand by my comments on using an extinguisher correctly being more important than size - under ADR regulations you are provided with two on an hgv, a small one in the cab and another towards the back under the bed of the truck. If dealing with a tyre fire I know my first point of call.

You are not the only one working in the LGP industry, retired now but at one time commercial manager at an Elf-Flexigas filling and distribution plant so my credentials easily equal to yours, but I recognise it's not a competition. 

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose