RIP Trevor Maggs

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I don't think that this sad news has yet appeared on the forum.

The very well respected steerer Trevor Maggs has apparently died over the weekend.  He was the owner of the well known historic boat "Corona", a regular at many of the rallies, not least the Rickmansworth Festival, which he had attended every one of from its inception, boating down each year from Rugby, continuing to do so into his eighties.

A legend in the world of historic boating, he will be sadly missed.

This was taken on his final trip to "Ricky"

IMG_3954.JPG

Oh, how sad, even though he had a "good innings". We fairly often saw him around the Midlands, he and Corona were always well turned out and he always gave us a cheery greeting (even on the occasion when we JUST managed to miss his boat while going through the crowded bit by Midland Swindlers at Braunston.)

R.I.P. Mr. Maggs.

A very good innings......unfortunately probably shorter than it should have been... as a bloke who continued to go to festivals and single hand most of the way in his 80's.

He always gave a wave, even in the foulest conditions , only chatted to him a couple of times but at no point did I feel like just a young upstart!

Cruise on in peace Trevor, may the locks always be in your favour.

Edited by matty40s

Sad news. I didn't ever meet him but I did see and pass Corona a few times including on Trevor's trip through the GU festivals this past summer. Thankfully I have a photo taken on a good camera from a hire boat passing him on his return from Foxton at Easter 2014.

It's an event to see such an iconic boat and owner and it would be fitting if Corona was to keep it's livery in future. That's the predominant history of the boat.

JP

42 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Sad news. I didn't ever meet him but I did see and pass Corona a few times including on Trevor's trip through the GU festivals this past summer. Thankfully I have a photo taken on a good camera from a hire boat passing him on his return from Foxton at Easter 2014.

It's an event to see such an iconic boat and owner and it would be fitting if Corona was to keep it's livery in future. That's the predominant history of the boat.

JP

Indeed.  Trevor owned Corona longer than all other owners of her combined.

George

A sad loss in my 50+ years of boating I cant think how many times we must have seen him always with a cheery smile and a wave - even in the worst of weather, I think we saw him towards the middle/end of last year on the middle GU still going strong so one hopes he didn't suffer at the end.

I hope Coronas future new owner honours his memory..........................

RIP 

Had the pleasure to meet Trevor on several occasions and even had the benefit of his advice when steering Nutfield and Raymond a few times. A true gentleman and a fountain of knowledge. He will be missed.

Met Trevor in the 60's when on his way to Charity Dock on his first getting "Corona" not had any contact for many years but remember him as a thoughtful caring gentleman RIP the #of back in the day boaters is sadly diminishing

Dear Boaters,

I received a telephone call this afternoon with sad news that I wish I didn’t have to tell you. Trevor Maggs passed away yesterday. I last spoke to Trevor less than two weeks ago, he was diagnosed with cancer in November and was undergoing chemo treatment. I got the impression it was going well and I’m sure Trevor never thought the end was going to happen so quickly. Trevor was a living legend, we will miss him dearly.

I don’t yet know where or when the funeral will be held but if you request the information from me I can forward it on to those who wish to attend.

If you wish to send a card please address it to Trevor Maggs Family, 29 Wordsworth Road, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 6HY

Kind Regards,

John Brice

Rickmansworth Festival

9 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Dear Boaters,

I received a telephone call this afternoon with sad news that I wish I didn’t have to tell you. Trevor Maggs passed away yesterday. I last spoke to Trevor less than two weeks ago, he was diagnosed with cancer in November and was undergoing chemo treatment. I got the impression it was going well and I’m sure Trevor never thought the end was going to happen so quickly. Trevor was a living legend, we will miss him dearly.

I don’t yet know where or when the funeral will be held but if you request the information from me I can forward it on to those who wish to attend.

If you wish to send a card please address it to Trevor Maggs Family, 29 Wordsworth Road, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 6HY

Kind Regards,

John Brice

Rickmansworth Festival

If the funeral is open to all please can you let us know on here so we can pay our respects....I do totally understand if it’s family only though. Many thanks.