Which Battery Isolation Switch

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

Hiya,

I've having an issue with a cheapo battery isolation switch in that it seems to be failing. I haven't got round to taking the thing out & testing it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the culprit to my generator having starting issues & cutting out after a short period. There's nothing wrong with the gennie's fuses, relays etc., so it would seem that battery power interruption is causing the stop solenoid to kick in as a result. Therefore, the isolation switch is the logical culprit.

Can anyone recommend a decent, reasonably priced alternativeswitch please. I say reasonably priced because I have 2 of these little boogers (main engine & gennie) & I'll be replacing both.

Cheers.

We have had 3 isolator switches for our 3000 watt inverter, all supposedly rated at 300 amp and all gave up the ghost despite the highest load being the washing machine at 1600 watts. Now have a Blue Sea 500 amp one. 

Edited by pearley

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

These are mine. Proper bits of kit. My stuff is all Blue sea and BEP. Theres three of em.

Thanks for the pic they look a bit like the Durite ones from Midland Chandlers @ £70 a pop. I've also looked at the Blue Seas ones from Aquafax & seeing as I have the same starter battery for both my gennie & main engine, I'm wondering whether one of these might make more sense @ about £120ish. Or maybe, even one of these.

Edited by BargeeSpud

2 hours ago, BargeeSpud said:

Thanks for the pic they look a bit like the Durite ones from Midland Chandlers @ £70 a pop. I've also looked at the Blue Seas ones from Aquafax & seeing as I have the same starter battery for both my gennie & main engine, I'm wondering whether one of these might make more sense @ about £120ish. Or maybe, even one of these.

I found some BEP ones similar to mine on line at about 25 quid a pop?

5 hours ago, BargeeSpud said:

Did you want an 0-1-2 switch?

7 hours ago, BargeeSpud said:

Hiya,

I've having an issue with a cheapo battery isolation switch in that it seems to be failing. I haven't got round to taking the thing out & testing it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the culprit to my generator having starting issues & cutting out after a short period. There's nothing wrong with the gennie's fuses, relays etc., so it would seem that battery power interruption is causing the stop solenoid to kick in as a result. Therefore, the isolation switch is the logical culprit.

Can anyone recommend a decent, reasonably priced alternativeswitch please. I say reasonably priced because I have 2 of these little boogers (main engine & gennie) & I'll be replacing both.

Cheers.

Budget?

The likes of blue seas generally, but the 'TIR' knockoffs look to be the best of the cheapos.

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

Did you want an 0-1-2 switch?

If that means I can get away with only having the one switch instead of the current 2, then yes. After all, it's highly unlikely that I'll want to operate the gennie & the engine at the same time, if I did, then the the link to the Blue Seas switch with O-1-2-1+2 might be the better one to have seeing as both gennie & engine share the same battery.

BTW, it turns out that my problem was actually the fuse! Beta fitted a blade type fuse which would seem to allow vibration to induce the possibility of a stress fracture & this is what has happened. The common blade fuses I've normally seen have the fuse & blades moulded within its plastic jacket, whereas the one supplied by Beta has the fuse mounted within a plastic case.