Odd engine noise

tree monkey

Featured Posts

Any ideas folks?

Last night during a battery charging run the engine started missing a beat with a "popping" noise, similar to a backfire.

The rev counter speed would drop as this happened and quickly return to previous revs.

I ran the engine across various speeds and it seemed to happen throughout the range.

I have since checked the fluids and fan belt and all seems fine.

Running tonight and apart from a "pop" on start up all seems fine

As a wild guess I will change the fuel filters this weekend, in case its fuel starvation/blocked filters

I do syphon the bottom of the diesel tank after the winter and use marine 16, plus the filters were clean on last change

20140430_053302.jpeg

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Any ideas folks?

Last night during a battery charging run the engine started missing a beat with a "popping" noise, similar to a backfire.

The rev counter speed would drop as this happened and quickly return to previous revs.

I ran the engine across various speeds and it seemed to happen throughout the range.

I have since checked the fluids and fan belt and all seems fine.

Running tonight and apart from a "pop" on start up all seems fine

As a wild guess I will change the fuel filters this weekend, in case its fuel starvation/blocked filters

I do syphon the bottom of the diesel tank after the winter and use marine 16, plus the filters were clean on last change

20140430_053302.jpeg

Sticky Inlet Valve?

Muck in injector maybe? I would be tempted to put some injector cleaner through it.
Is it doing a great deal of stationary charging? Might just need a run under load and a damn good thrashing. 

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

How do you stop your engine?

Press the stop button and turn the ignition switch to the off position

6 minutes ago, catweasel said:

That too. Send some redex through it.

Some chance my arm with some snake oil?

Tbh I do throw a bottle through most years, not sure if it helps but I will give it another go this weekend

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

So you do have an electric stop of some sort. As the rev counter dips at the same time, I would check the cables going to the engine

Richard

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Some chance my arm with some snake oil?

Tbh I do throw a bottle through most years, not sure if it helps but I will give it another go this weekend

Can only say that my car was running like a bag of shit and after changing various things, a dose of redex followed by injector cleaner cured it. Apart from obvious things like filters and checking for water in fuel (have you filled up very recently?) I would chance my arm with some snake oil before delving into injector pumps, injectors etc. 

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

So you do have an electric stop of some sort. As the rev counter dips at the same time, I would check the cables going to the engine

Richard

Interesting thought, those awful multiplugs on the engine harness often fail.

4 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Interesting thought, those awful multiplugs on the engine harness often fail.

So do battery terminals and bolted on earth cables, which is more likely as they are simple mechanical issues

Just now, zenataomm said:

I'd have gone with sticky exhaust valve not inlet.

Trouble is, most diesel engines will smack a stuck valve shut every stroke

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

So do battery terminals and bolted on earth cables, which is more likely as they are simple mechanical issues

Trouble is, most diesel engines will smack a stuck valve shut every stroke

Don't they do the same with a sticky inlet valve?

Interestingly,  apart from the initial burp, it ran sweet tonight, I will do a filter change, bung some snake oil in and check the electrical connections this weekend.

The fuel boat recently topped up the tank but BSP also had a top up and so far her engine is showing no signs but I will also have a syphon around the bottom of the tank

16 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Yes each pop was accompanied by a very brief drop in revs, at least it sounded that way but it was very quick

That's why I suspect it is electrical. It takes time for the engine to slow down, next to no time for the rev counter to drop if it is switched off. So I'd expect a very slight drop in engine speed and a much bigger drop in revs followed by a quick kick back up

Anyway, this is all speculation without more info - let us know how you get on

Richard

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What sort of information would help and I will do my best to provide it this weekend

"This weekend I went into my engine bay and this is what I found" is what I had in mind

Say 500 words, double spaced joined up writing and don't write in the margin?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

"This weekend I went into my engine bay and this is what I found" is what I had in mind

Say 500 words, double spaced joined up writing and don't write in the margin?

Richard

:) okayyy sir, I wanted to go fishing but spose if I have to

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

The Truth ,the Whole Truth and............

I demand a legal representative

30 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This could be a fun new game!

This weekend I went into my engine bay and found....................an ancient unsullied air filter.

This weekend I went into my engine bay and found....................a big buggered bolt belonging to a Beta big end.

Get the idea?

OK. Your turn.

This weekend I went into my engine bay and found....................???????