Stuck in Cheshire looking for ideas.

Sparx

Featured Posts

So I have a dillema like this and I'm interested in any ideas that might be out there. The collective wisdom that abounds.

I have a set of locks behind me, closed for maintenance.

There is a permanent bankside CRT mooring place a few yards ahead. I'm in between the two, moored up with an engine problem. Looks like the mechanics are going to have the head off and do some investigative repairs. So there's no telling how long this will take.

I have a plane ticket to fly overseas for a family visit and the CTR say I must find a winter mooring. ( but the nearest is eight miles away!).

I can't go back. I can't go forward without pulling the boat along the towpath.

Is there a way that the CRT will come to terms with this and let me sit out the winter right where I am? Does this sort of thing happen?

Worst case scenario is, I have to catch my flight and leave my narrowboat moored up as is. So it makes me wonder if this sort of thing has happened in the past. Is there another way around this?

Thanks guys!!

First, where exactly are you? Someone might be able to tow you to the winter mooring. 

Second, why are CRT being so unhelpful? They're usually OK with genuine breakdowns as long as they know you're doing something about it, and it doesn't sound like you're going to be in anyone's way. 

ETA If you're in RCR, they'll tow you somewhere safe. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall

I just asked where you were as I might be able to give you a tow somewhere if you're stuck if you're in my area (depends whether you're above or below Bosley - I'm below!) and need a better place to leave the boat.  It sounds like you're in an OK place though if the mechanics can get to you to work. I'd carry on arguing with CRT for a while anyway - I can't see why they shouldn't agree an overstay.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

1 hour ago, Sparx said:

So I have a dillema like this and I'm interested in any ideas that might be out there. The collective wisdom that abounds.

I have a set of locks behind me, closed for maintenance.

There is a permanent bankside CRT mooring place a few yards ahead. I'm in between the two, moored up with an engine problem. Looks like the mechanics are going to have the head off and do some investigative repairs. So there's no telling how long this will take.

I have a plane ticket to fly overseas for a family visit and the CTR say I must find a winter mooring. ( but the nearest is eight miles away!).

I can't go back. I can't go forward without pulling the boat along the towpath.

Is there a way that the CRT will come to terms with this and let me sit out the winter right where I am? Does this sort of thing happen?

Worst case scenario is, I have to catch my flight and leave my narrowboat moored up as is. So it makes me wonder if this sort of thing has happened in the past. Is there another way around this?

Thanks guys!!

What happens in each particular case can be different. Now I don't know you or your cruising pattern from Adam so don't jump down my throat if you disagree or don't like my post. CART will look at your cruising pattern? are you a ccer? if you are do you consider 20 miles in one area realy ccing? If you just bimble on one bit of canal all summer and are still there then they may chase you, they have heard every excuse in the book especialy the broken down engine one!! People try all sorts on. Now the good news is if you always comply with the few easy rules we all have CART will be very helpful and always are. If you have been trapped by unexpected non planned stoppages also they will be helpful :cheers:

How long are you intending to be out of the country for? It comes back to what is reasonable. If you are away for 2 weeks, that doesn’t seem unreasonable with the engine problem as a mitigating factor. If it’s a couple of months, that is probably into the realms of unreasonable. Ultimately it is your fault that the boat broke down, no-one else’s, and so you need to get on with repairing it and continuing to CC in a reasonable time frame.

As said, if you have a clean copy-book, a genuine reason for the immobility (maybe RCR can support you on that one) and are not away for months, I think friendly phone call to the local enforcement officer may well do the trick. But if you set out with the presumption that this is all somebody else’s fault, all so unfair that you are expected to move etc, you may get short shrift! Since we have no idea of your history or character, it’s hard to know which category you might fall into! But my advice is, have a good attitude, be humble and ask CRT nicely for help.

If it came to the crunch, I would get my personal priorities in order, do what suits me.  If my flight was already booked, I'd go. It would only be the security of my boat that I would worry about. 

And if in your case your engine is fixed in time you can get to your desired mooring - and if more than 14 days is needed, then tell CRT why. And cheekily give your address and phone number when away so that they can contact you direct if there is a security problem with your boat. 

But apart from the breakdown and lock stoppages what has changed - you would need more moor than 14 days mooring for your flight anyway.

If I remember rightly, OP was heading up the Bosley flight not long ago, so I suspect is somewhere at the top before the long line of CRT moorings - there aren't any specific visitor moorings along there.  There's enough boats moored there for safety in numbers to apply, and friendly people to keep an eye on your boat while you're away.  I've moored up at the end of the line furthest from the locks, so you can get a boat in there OK though it's further for the mech to walk.  There's an arm alongside the facilities as well which might be handy for repairs if CRT would authorise it too. Nearest winter moorings are probably at either Macc itself or Bollington, which is a bit of a haul and the canal's very shallow at the edges for pulling from the path. There are farm moorings about a mile north of Bosley.

The OP is obviously just above Bosley.  If there is a vacancy in the permanent moorings at Bosley, wouldn't taking it involve committing to a year there?   The nearest Winter moorings are where I am, at Whitely Green, which is obviously a non-starter if the engine is likewise.  I think the OP should have another conversation with CRT and explain the situation fully. 

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

the canal's very shallow at the edges for pulling from the path. 

Depth at the edge shouldn't matter. Tie bow and stern ropes together to make a loop (with an intermediate rope too if necessary), place the loop of rope around your waist so that the bow is slightly further out than the stern and just head up the towpath. The boat will stay in the middle of the channel and it is easy to slightly adjust the rope as you go to steer the boat as necessary.

As has been said have a polite conversation (this is not meant to sound patronising) with the local enforcement officer and give a suggested time frame for engine repairs, offer contact details of the engineer. The CRT enforcement officer can issue you with an extended stay permit for a specified time limit on towpath i.e 14 day moorings. Under CRT guidance you are able to overstay for 'reasonable' circumstances. On the very few occasions we have had to overstay, the local CRT enforcement officer has been very helpful, just don't take the mickey :D

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The OP is obviously just above Bosley.  If there is a vacancy in the permanent moorings at Bosley, wouldn't taking it involve committing to a year there?   The nearest Winter moorings are where I am, at Whitely Green, which is obviously a non-starter if the engine is likewise.  I think the OP should have another conversation with CRT and explain the situation fully. 

You can get a boat in just at the end of the permanent moorings at Bosley - I've done it myself.  it's a real pain there not being proper visitor moorings there - when you've done 12 locks on your own you really feel like a cup of tea and a sit down before battering on.  If there is a vacancy,  I can't see why CRT would complain about someone sitting on it for a week or three while repairing bits of boat, or why it should be a problem sitting either end of the line if Bosley's shut, as long as the water point's accessible.

I hope all goes well for the OP.

When we broke down last year we called CRT and explained the situation saying how long we thought repairs would take and were told to give them a call if this changed, when the allotted time came and were were still broken down we just called to extend the estimated repair time. In total we were broken down for 2 months. As long as you keep CRT informed as to the situation they are very reasonable to deal with.

• Happy 1