BSS part way through refit

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Ray T said:

This debate instills a lot of confidence :glare: , the boats got its BSC exam tomorrow morning!!!!!!

Boat passed. However the examiner did suggest the gas locker could do with more ventilation as there was a lot of condensation in there. The gas bottles are in what is effectively the engine room. They are in their own compartment which is all metal apart from the lid. There are two vent holes at waterline level and two about a 18" or so above that. As bottled gas is heavier than air could I put a vent in the wooden lid and not fall foul of any regulations? I forgot to ask the examiner whilst he was on the boat.

DSCF4181.jpg

DSCF4182.jpg

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Boat passed. However the examiner did suggest the gas locker could do with more ventilation as there was a lot of condensation in there. The gas bottles are in what is effectively the engine room. They are in their own compartment which is all metal apart from the lid. There are two vent holes at waterline level and two about a 18" or so above that. As bottled gas is heavier than air could I put a vent in the wooden lid and not fall foul of any regulations? I forgot to ask the examiner whilst he was on the boat.

DSCF4181.jpg

Ahhh - the standard Reeves gas locker I think.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Unless the lid is sealed to the locker there is already some (limited) venting into the cabin, so I can't see why not. As long as the vent is above the top of the gas bottles, regulator and any pipework.

Just now, David Mack said:

Unless the lid is sealed to the locker there is already some (limited) venting into the cabin, so I can't see why not. As long as the vent is above the top of the gas bottles, regulator and any pipework.

Thank you. I was thinking of drilling a couple of inch daimeter holes in the lid.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

As long as the vent is above the top of the gas bottles, regulator and any pipework.

There appears to be big gap in the 'back' corners of the lids anyway.

If it is anything like ours, the top of the cylinders is well below the lid so extra vents would be fine (for some reason ours didn't need any ventilation - maybe the heat of the engine kept it condensation fee ?)

We bought a boat with a bss  clearly done before fit out as prior to survey I noted at least 6 fails. The surveyor noted 3 more,  but of course she still had a bss - a fail does not cancel a pass!!! I fixed the worst and disconnected the very very illegal gas. Surveyor granted new bss. I insured the boat no gas.

It took me two years to redo the gas, mainly because of remodelling around the boat and only being in uk 3 months a year. Before connecting and turning on I got a corgi approved gas fitter to check and test, and he gave me a gas cert. I then forwarded this to the insurance company and they noted the change. 2 years later got new 4 year bss. Simple

7 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

a fail does not cancel a pass!!! 

You are obliged to keep the boat compliant all of the time it is in C&RT water. So  a change that is not compliant perhaps does invalidate a BSS certificate  but it does contravene the obligation to comply.

C&RT never do any checks to see that compliance is maintained in between tests (as far as I know)  .

I agree it may not have been relevant but he checked the boat complied( he is bss approved) and then provided me proof for the insurance company. $40 instead of full bss.

as to compliance between tests...don't make me laugh. Petrol generators inside cabin doors with exhaust 'blowing out' boats with gas bottles on bank and flex leads to the boat, stuff in gas lockers other than gas bottles. So many bombs around. 

16 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

......boats with gas bottles on bank and flex leads to the boat

It is advised that generators should be run on the bank, for LPG powered generators gas supply lines can then be run from the boat, and '220v land-lines' run back to the boat.

That scenario is fully BSS compliant, and special mention is made of the use of portable appliances and how it should be connected.

Section 7.10.2 "Are portable appliance hoses connected with bayonet, plug or screwed fittings, complete and in good condition?"

All hose connections to the isolation valves of portable appliances must be made with a bayonet, plug‐in or screwed fitting.

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I agree it may not have been relevant but he checked the boat complied( he is bss approved) and then provided me proof for the insurance company.

ah, now that's better. 

why mention CORGI?  AFAIK nowadays they are a just a building maintenance outfit, like we have CORGI Homeplan.

Yes and CORGI were well known for their avaricious nature. The 'CORGI Safety Certificate' pad of forms they used to sell us for staggeringly high prices had no basis in law. They just relied on our punters expecting our certification to be supplied on a form with the phantom authority of the word CORGI on the top. 

I mentioned corgi coz I'm old fashioned that's what it was then.. However I'm in the antipodes and not up to date, with the changes that wiz through common sense uk law, only last week it seems it was sensible to clad high rises in toxic and inflammable pretty cladding.

i wasn't talking about generators on the bank I was referring to the oft seen practice of ( on a permenant mooring )of putting a gas bottle on the bank and running a length of hose to your gas locker and attaching to the input to the boats gas line.

having 3 times in my life been involved with hastily moving boats due to fire that is so dodgy. Also I have observed that frequently the boats are badly tied or the levels changed straining the I assume jubilee clip holding the pipe on...

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I was referring to the oft seen practice of ( on a permenant mooring )of putting a gas bottle on the bank and running a length of hose to your gas locker and attaching to the input to the boats gas line.

I'm not sure that it is 'oft seen'.

I have been boating 30+ years and don't recall ever seeing the practice. Maybe it is standard practice in the boat-squatter Conmer camps ?

I would suggest that in this day & age you are more likely to get the gas cylinder stolen than for it to cause any problems.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have been boating 30+ years and don't recall ever seeing the practice. Maybe it is standard practice in the boat-squatter Conmer camps ?

I would suggest that in this day & age you are more likely to get the gas cylinder stolen than for it to cause any problems.

Agreed. I’ve never seen it. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its mainly due to buying cylinders to big to fit the locker, they also stand in the well deck.