Braunston Historic Boat Rally

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Does anyone know when the Braunston Historic Boat Rally will be held this year. Traditionally It has usually been the last weekend in June, but we were unable to attend last year. We would like to attend this year, but as we no longer have the boat, we will have to book accomodation. Any advance information would be very helpful.

Edited by David Schweizer

17 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Not so easy when you take a friend in a wheelchair.

I used to park in the village and walk down Butcher's Lane. 

I have only gone to the rally a couple of times by car, usually bringing the boat up a few days earlier and moring (with some difficuty) on the far end of the puddle banks. and either walked or cycled in. The year before last we actually moored in the marina as Tim's guests, but we were staffing the Ron Hough display that year. This year we have no boat so it will have to be by car.

One thing does occur to me, does the £20 cover both days? If not it does put a damper on attending both days.

10 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I have only gone to the rally a couple of times by car, usually bringing the boat up a few days earlier and moring (with some difficuty) on the far end of the puddle banks. and either walked or cycled in. The year before last we actually moored in the marina as Tim's guests, but we were staffing the Ron Hough display that year. This year we have no boat so it will have to be by car.

One thing does occur to me, does the £20 cover both days? If not it does put a damper on attending both days.

The £10 fee certainly did not cover both days in the past.

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Find somebody who is taking their historic boat as they get a couple of car park passes and may not need to use them.

Do you remember me Rob? We met a couple of years ago.

Edited by Captain Pegg

18 hours ago, Ray T said:

I see Mr T C has doubled the car entrance fee this year, £20 !!!!!

While I appreciate that anyone attending both days will find the cost mounts up I think it is important to remember that is cost "per car" and so the obvious answer is to ensure that all seats in your car are filled with people who are prepared to share the cost. 

Years ago I used to be involved in organising an event for American and custom cars at a major theme park. Gate prices were necessarily high to stop folks tuning up on the back of our event just to get in to the theme park cheaply. However camping prices were good and were priced "per unit" which meant if you had a 6 berth tent that was 6 mates who got in for one fee. 

That worked well when an American School Bus that had been turned into a camper van turned up - they had a lot of money to spend on beer that weekend but, we had a giggle when the immaculate Cadillac turned up with just the driver signing in and getting his wrist band to get him past the gate. He pulled over 200 yards down the drive to open the trunk and let out all his mates stowed in there to try and get away without paying. They sheepishly walked back to get the wristband from us  

5 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

The £10 fee certainly did not cover both days in the past.

Do you remember me Rob? We met a couple of years ago.

Yes, ours go to the crew who are helping out on the day manning the boat.

An incentive to volunteer.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

But did you pay twice if the car stayed overnight in the car park? Or do they only charge once on entry?

I think you may have the nub of it.

For those without passes money is surely colleted on entry.  Once you are in, they have no obvious way they can charge you agin.

So I would say you will pay twice if you atend as two different visits, but probably only onc if you stay put.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

But did you pay twice if the car stayed overnight in the car park? Or do they only charge once on entry?

Charge on entry I would say. A couple of years ago I attended both days but went home each day. On the Sunday I asked on arrival if the one entry fee covered the whole event and they told me I had to pay again.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

6 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Would 'Vulpes' count as historic?

It's certainly different!

As a serious answer I don't think so yet. It's 49 years old so in a years time I could register it as a National Historic Ship. Substantially unaltered in form, structural timber cabin and the third oldest verified welded steel hull narrowboat still in existence is the USP.

Not sure it would ever qualify under HNBC rules. Might have to find some evidence of towing on the BCN in the 70s.

JP