Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Just a laugh for the virtual pub. Heres a picture of my first liveaboard. Now trust me this was more fun than a big Woolwich!!!! Ok you guys how about a picture of your first Liveaboard. Any one on the Ark for instance? ( Not Noahs )

Andromeda.jpg

10 hours ago, Ray T said:

Does living aboard for two weeks count? If so one of these, a Contessa 32.

1[1].jpg

Very nice. We used to take a 36ft Nicholson across to St Peters port for jollies, all good fun.

11 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Mine was so small it fitted on a postage stamp!  (Oct - Dec 1970)

John Biscoe.jpg

Eberspacher or proper stove?

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My first. Ten months away from home as a sixteen year old. Bliss.

IMG_1405.JPG

Euryalus then. Another fab Leander :cheers: so you were a Junior Flunky then?

Here's ours. Raced it for 2 years then sailed it down to the Med and lived on it for 3 years.

We are the one in front:)

IMGP4316.JPG.6423474911e971ee0059356885d85e61.JPG

Edited by Dr Bob

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Here's ours. Raced it for 2 years then sailed it down to the Med and lived on it for 3 years.

We are the one in front:)

IMGP4316.JPG.6423474911e971ee0059356885d85e61.JPG

Blimey Doc, that's a tiddler to live on innitt. Fair play!! My first liveaboard was small in the scheme of things at only 320 feet long with a 43 foot beam. We went alongside the Nimitz once and it looked hilarious, well nearly alongside, breasting up to it would have been truly hilarious!!

Come on then Sea dog.  wheres a picture of yours? Bet it was wood  :giggles:

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Just a laugh for the virtual pub. Heres a picture of my first liveaboard. Now trust me this was more fun than a big Woolwich!!!! Ok you guys how about a picture of your first Liveaboard. Any one on the Ark for instance? ( Not Noahs )

Andromeda.jpg

And here's mine...

Andromeda.jpg.d824aa3f2f7a9bfdedab0ef60e

Well, I'm not positive it is actually mine, but just as one "Big Woolwich" was modelled pretty closely on her sister boat, mine was just like this one!  

Mine was HMS Scylla, also a 'Gun Leander'.  Whilst we were bona fide continuous cruisers, we also had a home mooring on the River Medway.  CRT (BW then, obs) never bothered us at all, but then we didn't stay anywhere very long.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Come on then Sea dog.  wheres a picture of yours? Bet it was wood  :giggles:

Crossed in the post - yer cheeky monkey! :P

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:lol:

There you go..this was yours :D

scilla.png

Twas too! :D

Mind you, I notice you didn't pick one where she looked quite as steely as yours!  Great phot, that one.

Oh, and noting that you gave Nightwatch stick, when I was there she had a black funnel band - Capt F8. :captain:  (We need one of these emoticons with a brass hat)

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Euryalus then. Another fab Leander :cheers: so you were a Junior Flunky then?

Couldn't get much lower than a Junior Assistant Steward. Fought my way all the way up to POStwd. Dizzy heights I can tell you.

There's a very good Facebook page for Leander crews. Member only and some good dits and memories. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey Doc, that's a tiddler to live on innitt. Fair play!! My first liveaboard was small in the scheme of things at only 320 feet long with a 43 foot beam. We went alongside the Nimitz once and it looked hilarious, well nearly alongside, breasting up to it would have been truly hilarious!!

Yes, it was small in comparison but 40' long with a 14' beam. No room for a washing machine though - That's what we all wanted but no one had one.

PA150273.JPG

We used stuff like that for target practice :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We used stuff like that for target practice :lol:

Don't worry, Dr Bob, you were quite safe - unless they gave the Canteen Manager (NAAFI shopkeeper) a go.  Even then, the only danger was being over charged! :rolleyes:

• Happy 2

I remember when we were sailing in Norway, up near Bergen, we saw a periscope very near the boat, maybe 50 yards away. Eeeeek!

9 hours ago, dccruiser said:

My first "Proper " liveaboard ! Took us to the Falklands.

norland.jpg

Mine took me to the Falklands too!   (Post #2)  Broke down mid-Atlantic, limped to Rio for repairs, on to Montevideo, Port Stanley, South Georgia, then South.  About 12 years before you, I guess.

14 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Mine took me to the Falklands too!   (Post #2)  Broke down mid-Atlantic, limped to Rio for repairs, on to Montevideo, Port Stanley, South Georgia, then South.  About 12 years before you, I guess.

I think you are right.  Rick was there when no one else wanted to be. Respect and all that. :cheers:

14 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I remember when we were sailing in Norway, up near Bergen, we saw a periscope very near the boat, maybe 50 yards away. Eeeeek!

If we spotted one on lookout we used to get extra beer :cheers: Not a tot of rum when I was in cos I am so young.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

'WERE' too young.

:o such a cutting remark!!

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:06, Mac of Cygnet said:

Mine was so small it fitted on a postage stamp!  (Oct - Dec 1970)

John Biscoe.jpg

Just to continue the theme, I've just found a collection which shows my second liveaboard and two of Mac Junior's liveaboards!

Antarctic Stamps.png

Edited by Mac of Cygnet