Cleaning Mooring Lines

plainsman

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Proper way to clean lines.

For the pedants around This may not be advisable with a motor.

Francis Meredith.jpg

Ahh a twelve year old!! I see they had their uses back in the day for line washing. Today they are carried to log on to Farcebook or Twatter :)

54 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh a twelve year old!! I see they had their uses back in the day for line washing. Today they are carried to log on to Farcebook or Twatter :)

I find myself wondering whether the boats were under way at the time (not clear from the photo), and if so how she was managing to work the rope around through the water while steering the butty at the same time. I suppose it could reasonably be done if going down a long straight on cross straps.

You'd have a job fitting a long towing line in the average washing machine I think. The proper thing to do is to be careful using lines, especially not dragging them around greasy paddle gear or on a gritty towpath, so they don't need any washing other than the occasional dunking in the cut they'll get in normal use.

My boats ropes are washed about once a year. They go in the twin tub. This sits on a shelf above the bath tub and drains in to the bath. The whale gulper then sends it overboard. The water comes out of the rope black! Lock slime, goose droppings and who knows what else!

I am used to caring for caving and climbing ropes, where lives depend on them so have no problem with the idea of cleaning and looking after my boat ropes. I have a set of ropes for my usual mooring site made from old caving rope and just use the boat ropes for cruising. Grit gets in to the rope and cuts fibres, reducing their strength over time. It is rough on your hands too.

Jen

16 hours ago, Ray T said:

Proper way to clean lines.

For the pedants around This may not be advisable with a motor.

Francis Meredith.jpg

It can be done OK with a motor end of line on "T " stud pay out line to approx engine "ole" front bulkhead take it back towards fore end & tie to suitable fixing few miles in the cut good to go when dry Wouldn't recommend the T&M around Harecastle & some other industrial area's one other point back in the day the lines were cotton

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:27, Tony Brooks said:

I am very careful - especially after I got caught with a load of old capillary matting from the greenhouse in the machine!

Dishwashers are great for cleaning engine parts.

I thought I'd get in bother with the missus if they went in our washing machine, so I decided to play safe and took our mooring lines to the launderette.  They came up a treat, but when I got back...

...the boat had gone!  Anyone want a spare set?

Edited by Sea Dog
Missing 'and'