Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Yes this is a good result if you are happy to embarrass your country. Irrespective of whether you like the man or not, the visit is by the Office of President of our closest ally. The fact that we as a country cannot manage that visit without incident is an embarrassment.

• Happy 2

32 minutes ago, Phil. said:

The fact that we as a country cannot manage that visit without incident is an embarrassment.

Yes, we should stage-manage the whole thing to support the illusion that the dotard is welcome here. Just like they do in North Korea.

• Greenie 2

Today's news re. Trump has really p1ssed me off. I had bought a new suit ready for his visit.

57 minutes ago, Phil. said:

Yes this is a good result if you are happy to embarrass your country. Irrespective of whether you like the man or not, the visit is by the Office of President of our closest ally. The fact that we as a country cannot manage that visit without incident is an embarrassment.

An embarrassment to you perhaps. I am not in the least embarrassed. I would have been embarrassed had he visited, and everybody had sucked his butt (as Trump would say.)

Edited by catweasel

1 hour ago, Phil. said:

Yeah but..... Its Trump innit, we have not uninvited him, he doesn't want to come. We could have stage managed the thing and lots of people would have lined the streets and it would have been great, in fact I might have had a day out, half a day chucking eggs at his car and half a day in the Nat. History museum. The bloke is a total embarrassment to the USA. Nothing for any of us to feel embarrassed about.

He’s not coming because he doesn’t like the new address of the US embassy in London. He said that Obama sold the old one off cheap, but in fact, it was George W Bush that agreed to the sale. Trump is a liar, which is hardly news,  it as he is ,and lies so publicly, he surely should not be welcome in any civilised democratic country.

• Greenie 4

I love the fact that according Wiktionary (https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/trumpery), trumpery can mean worthless finery, nonsense, deceit or fraud.

Is this another example of nominative determinism?

He's also said he won't come because he wouldn't get to meet the Queen. Altogether now, "Aaah, what a shame". On Tyneside we'd say "Pity for him" or in Wales, "bechod".

Edited by BruceinSanity
  • Greenie 1

perhaps he now views us as one of those "sh**hole" countries he's just been complaining about?

13 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

perhaps he now views us as one of those "sh**hole" countries he's just been complaining about?

Not to worry, if he is name-calling us he is leaving another country alone. We have thick skins and have endured worse.

Edited by catweasel

2 hours ago, Phil. said:

The right to protest against him coming would have been grounded in the fact we are a democracy - you know Phil like the one you Brexiteers hold so precious and keep banging on about following the Brexit result.

You cannot have democracy when it suits and not when it doesn't, it doesn't work like that.

Personally I would have liked to see him come just so a good few of us could directly let him know exactly what we think of the racist xenophobe.

• Greenie 4

47 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Bring back Spitting Image! The available material is stunning of late.

Could you imagine his reaction :)

47 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Bring back Spitting Image! The available material is stunning of late.

I thought he was a spitting image puppet, surely he's not for real is he??

• Greenie 1

I'm not a Trump fan by any means, but compared to some that have come here on State Visits and the like he is a comparative boy scout.

21 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

I'm not a Trump fan by any means, but compared to some that have come here on State Visits and the like he is a comparative boy scout.

Yes and like it/him or not he was voted in by a very close ally of ours as their Head honcho just like we as a uk voted out of the eu.

Just to be clear - it's not the proposed Sate visit that has been cancelled.

He was due to come and open the new US Embassy in London but seemingly because he blames Obama for selling the old site off 'cheaply' and putting it in the 'wrong' place he has said he doesn't want to open it.

A State visit is still on the cards.

Edited by MJG

7 minutes ago, MJG said:

Just to be clear - it's not the proposed Sate visit that has been cancelled.

He was due to come and open the new US Embassy in London but seemingly because he blames Obama for selling the old site off 'cheaply' and putting it in the 'wrong' place he has said he doesn't want to open it.

A State visit is still on the cards.

Apparently it's nothing to do with Obama, old site sold off and new site planned under Bush. Looking forward to state visit - I'll be there to welcome him.

1 minute ago, Bee said:

Apparently it's nothing to do with Obama, old site sold off and new site planned under Bush. 

Exactly. But for some reason Trump is blaming Obama....I cant think why that would be, :lol:

You think somebody who has amassed such a big business portfolio would at least have the nowse to check such basic stuff out before procrastinating, but then why break the habit of a lifetime?

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Most of the Americans I have met recently have been embarrassed by Trump.

Yet he enjoys widespread support amongst the poorest of americans you know the ones that voted for change.....................for themselves and not the rich, pretty and powerful strange one that eh?

5 minutes ago, Bee said:

Apparently it's nothing to do with Obama, old site sold off and new site planned under Bush. Looking forward to state visit - I'll be there to welcome him.

Apparently the US don't own the old site. It's leasehold (999 year lease) The freeholder is the Duke of Westminster. When the US wanted to buy the site the then duke refused to sell. The US tried to get the UK government to force the sale. At one stage the duke offered to sell if the US returned the land they confiscated from the estate at the time of independence (most of Maine and another state I can't remember) Seemingly the Grosvenor Sq embassy is the only site in the world not owned by the US.   

The old Duke of Westminster has gone up in my esteem :) 

12 minutes ago, Slim said:

Apparently the US don't own the old site. It's leasehold (999 year lease) The freeholder is the Duke of Westminster. When the US wanted to buy the site the then duke refused to sell. The US tried to get the UK government to force the sale. At one stage the duke offered to sell if the US returned the land they confiscated from the estate at the time of independence (most of Maine and another state I can't remember) Seemingly the Grosvenor Sq embassy is the only site in the world not owned by the US.   

The old Duke of Westminster has gone up in my esteem :) 

The old Duke was the President of the Llangollen Railway (I volunteer on it)and you may think just a ceremonial title of little consequence to him but he took an active interest in the railway visiting frequently (although fewer in his later years) and supported many projects. Those that knew/met him on the railway all say he was a pretty decent chap and more down to earth than the rather insane amount of money and property he inherited would suggest.

Personally I hope in the end that Trump does come to the UK for a visit state or otherwise. It would be one of the very few things  that would inspire me to take the train to London. I would very much like to join in with any peaceful protest and try and communicate what I think of his politics and behavior.

I think we set the bar very low when we allowed the Chinese President to have a state visit so letting in Trump does not seem that big a deal.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, churchward said:

Personally I hope in the end that Trump does come to the UK for a visit state or otherwise. It would be one of the very few things  that would inspire me to take the train to London. I would very much like to join in with any peaceful protest and try and communicate what I think of his politics and behavior.

We were talking about Trump's proposed visit with another CWDFer recently.

This person is well known on here but I'm not going to name him.

When it comes to politics he is more middle of the road than we are.

So I was pleasantly surprised when he said that if the Trumpeteer did visit he too would go and protest.

Edited by Victor Vectis

It seems to me that needing to protest in person shows that our democracy does not work. Clearly we feel that our elected representatives are not doing the protesting for us that they should. Perhaps the protesting is more about making us feel good than actually achieving anything?

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Yet he enjoys widespread support amongst the poorest of americans you know the ones that voted for change.....................for themselves and not the rich, pretty and powerful strange one that eh?

He did say during his election campaign that he loves the poorly educated and they love him, pretty much says it all really doesn't it? (  

When you look at his 'achievements' of his first year in office it is basically a failed attempt to trash the health programme and a big tax bonus to all the elite that he claimed 'not to be one of' whilst campaigning. If he isn't one of the so-called elite, what will be be doing in Davos (probably enriching himself, much as he has done so far in his presidency). For one who criticised Obama for an occasional round of golf he seems to play rather a lot himself (  http://trumpgolfcount.com/#services ) I suppose that he might as well though since he has achieved naff all as a President, perhaps with a decade or so of practice he may become an average golfer.

It is however a shame that the snowflake doesn't want to come here, as one who has never taken part in any protest, I would have been more than happy to change the habit of a lifetime to travel down to let him know just how unpopular he is. Funny how he cheers on the popular protest in Iran, but cannot face it himself, don't you think?