George Clarke's amazing spaces.

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Kinver Canopies said:

Hi Guys

Just to let you know. George Clarkes amazing spaces broadcast tonight at 8pm on Channel 4 features a narrowboat that they asked us to fit a pram on. 

I'm not sure how the final boat ended up looking but when we did our bit  the boat  needed 'some' work to say the least.  

I twill be nice to see the finished project. And hopefully it could give all you re-fitters out there some ideas. 

Happy new year all,

love Kinver Canopies 

IMG_4052.JPG

Where about's was this taken, they seemed to shift about a bit on the program 

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Please say this happened

Well, not exactly.

It happened to a friend who used to teach in the next door classroom.

And, fortunately for her, the laptop wasn't connected to the projector at the time.

(Might have been the end of a career if it was!)

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I think VV was ignorant of these matters  until today  :P     B)

Oi!

Who are you calling ignorant?

:P

49 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The photo looks like Ashwood Marina on the arm off the Staffs & Worcs.

JP

Looked like Ashwood to me too.

I'm guessing the other scenes were on the S&W as well but I didn't recognise anywhere.

1 hour ago, bill brown said:

The boat looked great but the converted horse box in the same programme looked like a death trap, inadequate ventilation and a stove far to big for the space.

And for the money they spent they could have bought a pucka 2nd hand caravan so he coulď stand up in it.

Phil 

9 hours ago, Oldboater said:

Hope it fits better than the cockpit cover fitted by Kinver Canopies predecessors (Wilsons). A cover which despite additional modifications by them, (and at my expense), continued to shrink and is now all but useless! :glare:

Check your facts before rubbishing a small waterways based company and potentially depriving them of work.

An ounce of googling before you posted would show your post as utter bollocks.

7 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

And for the money they spent they could have bought a pucka 2nd hand caravan so he coulď stand up in it.

Phil 

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That boat really was a heap of junk.

And to be honest when it was finished it wasn't much better :blink:

Why they didn't just spend the £30k they ended up spending on a decent boat is beyond me!

Those points are exactly as made by us when watching.

The boat was 'functional' but even after spending £30k it was still a 1975 'wooded-top' partly overplated boat.

The trailer was an abomination and for the money a very nice caravan or even motor home could have been purchased.

I suppose they got both got the pleasure out of 'building something', but for me, both the commercial aspects, AND functionality must play an important part in any such decision.

I was looking forward to this but again its another see it in a right state and then hey presto its all finished what happened to the work in between??? and how i did it and he spent £20k-25k restoring it how :o

Edited by Chas78

8 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

..........what happened to the work in between..............

"Everyone told me it would take longer than I planned, but I am a kitchen fitter and I know better. I can fit a kitchen in 2 weeks so if I double it to 5 weeks that'll be plenty of time"

Well "they" were proven right, but, despite admitting it took longer than expected he didn't reveal the actual build duration.

I thought the Narrowboat looked like a Dartline, steel Hull fibreglass top, but I'm not an expert.  Anyway I wasn't too impressed,  particularly with the fitting of the windows. 30 grandish, not sure that made sense, but I've done things that only made sense to me. 

9 hours ago, MJG said:

Check your facts before rubbishing a small waterways based company and potentially depriving them of work.

An ounce of googling before you posted would show your post as utter bollocks.

Well perhaps not quite b......s as you so elegantly put it MJG. I originally contacted sales@wilsonsofkinver.com at the beginning of November 2017 the people with whom I have dealt with over the years, (having ordered and received two cratch covers and the stern cover), complaining about the ongoing shrinkage problem with the cover.

I received an e-mail reply from Keith Wilson using the same e-mail thread (sales@wilsonsofkinver.com) saying effectively he had split from his brother Ian two years ago and set up on his own, (no mention of Kinver Canopies).

As I was engaging in e-mails using Wilsons of Kinver you can perhaps see that my thoughts were the two companies were still somehow linked, why else would you use another companies email address? I Have the e-mail thread showing these communications although I don't intend sharing them with you.

My only contact with Keith was through the Wilsons of Kinver address and he kindly offered to help remedy the problems with the stern cover, although I have heard nothing since.

I hadn't even heard of Kinver Canopies until I saw the item mentioned regarding George Clarkes Amazing Spaces programme.

Incidentally on a personal note I found Ian Wilson to be a most agreeable chap, easy to deal with and was sorry to hear that his company went into liquidation.

I hope my original comment, (which was slightly tongue in cheek), may be shown in a different light and I would respectfully suggest in order to prevent any further misunderstandings Kinver Canopies should perhaps stop using Wilsons of Kinvers email address when replying to comments aimed directly at Wilsons.

I sincerely hope that my rather innocuous post doesn't deprive Kinver Canopies of any future orders.....(irony).

I don't intend making any more comments about this subject I wish Kinver Canopies all success and that Wilsons of Kinver continue to prosper.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Oldboater said:

I hope my original comment, (which was slightly tongue in cheek), may be shown in a different light and I would respectfully suggest in order to prevent any further misunderstandings Kinver Canopies should perhaps stop using Wilsons of Kinvers email address when replying to comments aimed directly at Wilsons.

Dear  Old boater  I would respectfully suggest you really do need to understand what you are talking about before posting. I think you are slightly confused.

I hope this will clear it up.

We are, and have only ever been(since leaving Wilsons at the time of its collapse) Kinver Canopies using only emails@KINVERCANOPIES.CO.UK 

owned by Ian Underwood and Scott ward

WE HAVE NEVER USED emails @wilsonsofkinver   as this is not us.

WILSONs OF KINVER    used to just sell the chairs and bed sofas (Ralph Wilson) then started to do the covers with (Keith Wilson) at the point Wilson covers (or any other name you want to remember from the past)  collapsed . This company was run by Ian Wilson, brother of Keith, son of Ralph. Employer of Ian Underwood and Scott Ward until 2011 (collapse of Wilson Covers)

I am Ian Underwood co-owner of Kinver Canopies along with Scott Ward... No Wilsons in sight!

Hope that clears that up..  I will except lack of comment any further on this matter as an understanding of what actually is correct and an apology.

I also thank you for your best wishes for our future.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Kinver Canopies
  • Greenie 2