MCB thingymajig

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I just asked a genuine question. I am not an electrician so just what an mcb, rcb, even jcb I am not sure of. Well a jcb is a tractor thingy in all honesty. The missus didnt know what exactly was switched on. it happens. no one died.

I'm just quite surprised by your lack of knowledge and being unable to identify and name components on your boat or is it just easier to keep saying "Thingy" ??? Especially from someone who has been on the water for over 20 years.

Edited by PD1964

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I'm just quite surprised by your lack of knowledge and being unable to identify and name components on your boat or is it just easier to keep saying "Thingy" ??? Especially from someone who has been on the water for over 20 years.

I expect it is just a case of what is important to us, and what isn't. A further problem in the electrical game is that the names of things change often. I have owned my body for 63 years but would not be able to name many of the components within it. 

8 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I expect it is just a case of what is important to us, and what isn't. A further problem in the electrical game is that the names of things change often. I have owned my body for 63 years but would not be able to name many of the components within it. 

It just reads like something a complete novice would write describing "thingy's and thingymajig" especially from a so called seasoned boater. You will always get a quick and correct answer using the correct terminology then the ones used above.

11 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

You will always get a quick and correct answer using the correct terminology then the ones used above.

And if you want quick and totally reliable answers, but genuinely are unsure what the bits involved are called or do, it would also be well worth learning to post pictures of the bits involved.

This question could long since have been answered completely unambiguously if simple pictures had been available from the outset.

Edited by alan_fincher

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

The last post was  joke, but please get it sorted properly as soon as possible

Yes I will. I do think its all fine though as every bit of mains cable after this has the jobbies with buttons that state mcb on them. The instalation is awesome in its own cupboard and when I had boat motd the moter said it was a brill set up. I think its belt and braces in that its a switch that simply isolates the outside cable, it is immediately after the umbilical fitting and before the three position switch to pick shore/inverter/gennie I will have someone look though :cheers:

Just now, alan_fincher said:

And if you want quick and totally reliable answers, but genuinely are unsure what the bits involved are called or do, it would also be well worth learning to post pictures of the bits involved.

This question could long since have been answered completely unambiguously if simple pictures had been available from the outset.

• Yes I am looking at it. Problem is this I am on now is brill for tinternet as its a chrome book but for storage of pics I think it needs cloud or something weird. I am going on my pc later for a play :cheers:

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think its belt and braces in that its a switch that simply isolates the outside cable.........................

(Third time at least....)

A simple switch cannot trip on its own - it can burn out, and stop working, but it doesn't have the capability of tripping.

Either what failed didn't trip, or it was not a simple switch.

On available info, it's sounding like the first of those two is probably the situation.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

A picture paints a thousand thingymajigs, The OP seams to of sorted his terminology and photo problem out, so a quick answer and solution to his problem should soon be at hand.

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hopefuly I will put picture of what I removed on here now!!

WP_20180110_17_32_21_Pro.jpg

There you go then......

You have replaced a 16A 2 Pole MCB, (which is capable of tripping, and designed to), with a 100A 2 Pole switch, (which isn't)>

Here is what the part you actually had is.....

Linky.

So whereas the old MCB was protecting your shore supply against the wilder excesses of your other half, if she wee to try the same again, then your shore supply should trip.  If you don't want that to ever happen, but exactly what I have linked to.

I think we now probably have the definitive answer, hence my suggestion of a picture.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

There you go then......

You have replaced a 16A 2 Pole MCB, (which is capable of tripping, and designed to), with a 100A 2 Pole switch, (which isn't)>

Here is what the part you actually had is.....

Linky.

So whereas the old MCB was protecting your shore supply against the wilder excesses of your other half, if she wee to try the same again, then your shore supply should trip.  If you don't want that to ever happen, but exactly what I have linked to.

I think we now probably have the definitive answer, hence my suggestion of a picture.

Thanks Alan. I will replace it tomorrow :cheers:

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hopefuly I will put picture of what I removed on here now!!

Actually that looks like a tandem MCB (miniature circuit breaker) as we all thought in the first place. 

The 16 is the tripping current, and there is usually a letter before it B,C or D, indicating the speed of tripping once the trip current is reached. Only a bit of your letter is left, and looks to me like a D

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks Alan. I will replace it tomorrow :cheers:

The site I found it on is Trade only - unless you can persuade a trade person to buy it for you, you may need to seek out a retail supplier.

I only linked to that one because I believe it is exactly the make, model and current rating that you had.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually that looks like a tandem MCB (miniature circuit breaker) as we all thought in the first place. 

The 16 is the tripping current, and there is usually a letter before it B,C or D, indicating the speed of tripping once the trip current is reached. Only a bit of your letter is left, and looks to me like a D

Plumber comment now retracted, then!

(Though I agree, it might just be an alternator, or a vacuum cleaner, I'm not really sure.....)

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

It just reads like something a complete novice would write describing "thingy's and thingymajig" especially from a so called seasoned boater. You will always get a quick and correct answer using the correct terminology then the ones used above.

The op doesn't believe that anyone's walked on the moon, so is unlikely to believe anyone that's offering good advice.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The site I found it on is Trade only - unless you can persuade a trade person to buy it for you, you may need to seek out a retail supplier.

I only linked to that one because I believe it is exactly the make, model and current rating that you had.

Plumber comment now retracted, then!

(Though I agree, it might just be an alternator, or a vacuum cleaner, I'm not really sure.....)

The other thing I thought it might be was a Mini Clubman 1275 GT.

4 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

You have me lost now. It will be available in all three types. You've posted a photo of a Type C which looks completely different in detail, from the photo!

And actually I was slightly wrong earlier. The types refer to the surge current they will tolerate.

More details here: https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/selecting-right-mcb-its-easy-bcd

"The tripping characteristics are illustrated in Fig 1.

• Type B devices are designed to trip at fault currents of 3-5 times rated current (In). For example a 10A device will trip at 30-50A.
  • Type C devices are designed to trip at 5-10 times In (50-100A for a 10A device).
  • Type D devices are designed to trip at 10-20 times In (100-200A for a 10A device)."