London Boat Show

NickF

Featured Posts

Looking at the video below it looks like there may be more narrowboats than usual at this years show. I am going on Sunday so I'd love to hear any thoughts or tips from people that go between Wednesday and Saturday.

It is only five days this year rather than the usual ten, I am not sure whether that's good or bad.

I went last year and apart from giving some suppliers earache found it very disappointing compared to previous years...no floating exhibits...no historic boats on the dock etc.

Ive been going for the last 20 plus years but felt its really not for me anymore....the lack of the smaller interesting stands with the hard to find stuff is a big disappointment

There is a 2 for 1 advance ticket offer still running meaning entrance is £15 for 2....plus the usual daft booking fee.....I guess they arent selling well!

Nice to see some NBs back - the last time I went was the first year(s) after Earl's Court closed - and there were one or two then. Exhibitors complained that it was too expensive. Perhaps next year they may bring back the magic of the bits and bobs stalls that they had at EC...

12 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Exhibitors complained that it was too expensive. Perhaps next year they may bring back the magic of the bits and bobs stalls that they had at EC...

I think that's why they have cut from 10 days to 5, to make it cheaper to exhibit.    I didn't bother last year as I was a bit disillusioned in previous years, hopefully it will be better this year.

12 minutes ago, NickF said:

I think that's why they have cut from 10 days to 5, to make it cheaper to exhibit.    I didn't bother last year as I was a bit disillusioned in previous years, hopefully it will be better this year.

The set up and dismantling costs for the stands are the same regardless of whether the show is 5 days or 10. For smaller companies the cost per day therefore increases if the show is shorter.

I know of one trader who is not going for this reason so there may be others.

On 09/01/2018 at 14:57, frangar said:

I went last year and apart from giving some suppliers earache found it very disappointing compared to previous years...no floating exhibits...no historic boats on the dock etc.

Ive been going for the last 20 plus years but felt its really not for me anymore....the lack of the smaller interesting stands with the hard to find stuff is a big disappointment

There is a 2 for 1 advance ticket offer still running meaning entrance is £15 for 2....plus the usual daft booking fee.....I guess they arent selling well!

Free entry for RYA members.

I had a great day at the boat show on Sunday, many more canal boats than usual and I was amused by the fake lock and lock side pub. The lock didn't actually have water in it but I was amused by the water pump producing a fake leak between the gates! A feature of every lock on the system so it obviously couldn't be missed!

Sorry there weren't any floating exhibits this year though but still a worthwhile day.

1 minute ago, NickF said:

I had a great day at the boat show on Sunday, many more canal boats than usual and I was amused by the fake lock and lock side pub. The lock didn't actually have water in it but I was amused by the water pump producing a fake leak between the gates! A feature of every lock on the system so it obviously couldn't be missed!

Sorry there weren't any floating exhibits this year though but still a worthwhile day.

I went Saturday and enjoyed myself but then I know the people involved the Inland Waterways exhibit and the IWA and was with a member of the Trade so between us we met up with a lot of friends. 

It is however a shadow of it's former self. A few years ago It took up both halls and for a couple of years had boats moored outside and you would struggle to get round it in a day, hopefully it will get bigger in the future.

Tim

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 08:25, NickF said:

Nick,

Did you go to the same show I went to? I counted a couple of hire boats, a broads cruiser, a small narrowboat and the IWA stand tucked away next to the pub in one corner.

The rest, as usual, either very expensive power boats or smaller rib, fishing or yachts.

I enjoyed the show, as an RYA member it was free but an Inland Waterways show it isn't and I'd agree with Naughty Cal, Southampton is much better.

Ken

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how many people through the doors did pay?

On Thursday, many people with tenners waiting to enter after 3pm. But then if your going to boat show with plans to spend ten's of thousands on a boat the show ticket is small change. Southampton is better and RYA members still get a free ticket to that one as well. I normally only went in to get bits and bobs which are hard to find.    

On 10/01/2018 at 08:20, MartynG said:

The set up and dismantling costs for the stands are the same regardless of whether the show is 5 days or 10. For smaller companies the cost per day therefore increases if the show is shorter.

I know of one trader who is not going for this reason so there may be others.

The cost of setting up and dismantling is the same.

The wages or "lost from the office/factory" element has been reduced from 10 to 5 days, probably a relief for small firms.

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The cost of setting up and dismantling is the same.

The wages or "lost from the office/factory" element has been reduced from 10 to 5 days, probably a relief for small firms.

There was a definite absence of smaller marine traders at the show , especially chandleries. And some chandlers had a very small stall selling lifejackets or other limited range of items.

My early remarks are not based on my own thoughts but come from a small trader .

9 hours ago, KenK said:

Nick,

Did you go to the same show I went to? I counted a couple of hire boats, a broads cruiser, a small narrowboat and the IWA stand tucked away next to the pub in one corner.

The rest, as usual, either very expensive power boats or smaller rib, fishing or yachts.

I enjoyed the show, as an RYA member it was free but an Inland Waterways show it isn't and I'd agree with Naughty Cal, Southampton is much better.

Ken

That's a lot more narrow boats than the past few years! and I agree it is not an inland waterways show, that is not what I went for.

Edited by NickF

11 hours ago, MartynG said:

There was a definite absence of smaller marine traders at the show , especially chandleries. And some chandlers had a very small stall selling lifejackets or other limited range of items.

My early remarks are not based on my own thoughts but come from a small trader .

I went Sunday and agree with this. On the whole most of the stalls were smaller with a limited choice of gear available. That is unless you wanted a paddle board, I have never seen as many stalls trying to flog them. Can just imagine trying to get one of those back on the underground. 

I went on Thursday and was quite pleasantly surprised. Lots of boats (more than for a long time) and other interesting things, helicopter, FA Cup, pianos, hot tubs, camper vans...hang on, it was the Boat Show I was at?

Joking aside, at least BMF are trying something different going from 10 to 5 days and broadening the outlook. I wonder what happened to the 'Bespoke' part of the show - probably couldn't fill the space?

By all accounts it was a busy show with some good trade going on, so hopefully it's given the show a stay of execution. However, Dusseldorf is a far bigger and better show, maybe London show call it a draw and BMF stick to producing one really good show in Southampton.

Just my two pennies.