Norman 24 windscreen

Philip

Featured Posts

I'm looking into converting the fixed aluminium windscreen on my Norman 24 GRP into one which I can fold down, preferably without having to buy new frames (aluminium seems a more sturdy material than wood!). Is it a reasonably easy job to do? I know I'll need hinges for both the front and side frames, since they'll have to fold down separately and then a way to hold the frames together once it's back up.

I've attached a picture showing the current arrangement, the problem is that immediately behind where the frames sit there is a ridge and so folding it down 'inwards' (towards the stern) isn't possible. All four frames will have to fold down outwards (we'll remove the aerial and re-locate the horn) and so as a result all four frames will have to detach from each other when it folds down. Vice versa will of course apply when putting back up, so would hooks or clips be good enough to hold the frames together and save having to faff around with screws?

boat canopy two.jpg

Edited by Philip

First thought is the front screen. The middle section/upright, can that be slip to separate the two front screens ?

The frames do look narrow to hinge off,

If each frame has a good hook at the top corner of each then that will hold tight, but still its which to choose. toggle clamps would be good but not sure if you could get them small enough, as said it doesnt look to have much frame to play with.  

Just noticed the grab handles below the side windows, looks like the windows will hit them, also if supported from them once folded down the frames will stick out  a lot maybe ?

And another edit

Ho about fitting a lower frame to sit/ hinge the frames on. Made from timber. 

Edited by W+T

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I think I’d remake it all in wood with a lower fixed frame the same height as the ledge so that it could all fold inwards. 

Like mine when i made the hardtop at first Tony, looked bloody awfull lol. 

As regards the grab rails, I'm only really looking to have something I can fold down when going under very low bridges or the Harecastle tunnel, other than that I could keep the frames up, so providing the side frames don't protrude beyond the gunnel I wouldn't have thought it'd be a hazard?

If I went for the lower fixed timber frame option, would this be as simple as temporarily removing all the framework, screwing the timber frames into the fibreglass and then hinging the frames back onto the timber?

3 hours ago, Philip said:

As regards the grab rails, I'm only really looking to have something I can fold down when going under very low bridges or the Harecastle tunnel, other than that I could keep the frames up, so providing the side frames don't protrude beyond the gunnel I wouldn't have thought it'd be a hazard?

If I went for the lower fixed timber frame option, would this be as simple as temporarily removing all the framework, screwing the timber frames into the fibreglass and then hinging the frames back onto the timber?

A lot depends on your craftsman skill. Can you remove the internal 'ridge' instead - or simply remove the whole window frame, put a spacer-bar under it and replace the frame. 

19 hours ago, Horace42 said:

A lot depends on your craftsman skill. Can you remove the internal 'ridge' instead - or simply remove the whole window frame, put a spacer-bar under it and replace the frame. 

The latter would probably be more straightforward, since the ridge is really part of the structure of the hull.

Just thinking about it I'm not sure if fitting something underneath to raise the frame to the level of the ledge would work, since it the canopy would have to stretch further to reach the fastening fixings at the point a couple of inches higher; it is already stretched to the limit in order to reach the frame fixings at the current height..

I'd be tempted to just make the existing screen removable for those occasions you describe. Gets everything off the roof and should be less work to make. Four clamps/wing nuts or whatever to hold it on. You may find that the particular screen as it is in simply connected panels, possibly with a hinge in the corner already which would be helpful making it smaller to stow, or you can fashion corner hinges, split it into two connecting parts etc for ease of removal/storage/redeployment. Saves on being too invasive on the GRP with multiple hinges or using a spacer timber, making new screens etc.

There is a lad on the Norfolk Broads forum calls himself "Woodwose" and has a Norman 23 at Womack Water. He has converted his screen to drop down which enables him to get under Potter Heigham Bridge. I'm sure he would tell you about it if you sent him a pm on the site or asked on the forum itself. It would mean signing up of course.

http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk