Cruiser heads design ?

W+T

Featured Posts

I have had boats a long time now and all been cruisers, but for a short lived NB. Today i popped up to size boat up for Manxmike and  again as i do i notice the setout for the heads always overlaps a window, so it shares a window from the main cabin. 

Just a niggle with how these boats are designed and to this day have never asked as to why are they are built that way.

So why do they build GRP boats which the heads and main cabin share a window ?

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

So you can view while you poo. 

View the others in the cabin oooeeerrrrr 

When i rebuilt my cruiser that is the first thing i did in the redesign and was for the heads to have its own window. 

Because nobody thought about putting a head into the boat when it was designed....

FWIW I once had a 'ride' on an Atalanta 21 (or summat like that) and the heads were in the bow. All you had was a bucket in the peak and a modesty flap to close behind you. Said flap only provide cover for your mid regions, with head and legs poking out.

Consider yourself lucky......

3 hours ago, W+T said:

When i rebuilt my cruiser that is the first thing i did in the redesign and was for the heads to have its own window. 

It had not occurred to me that a  a boat would be made that shared a window in this way . But forums of this  sort are wealth of knowledge . 

12 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

Assumed it's for symmetry from the outside as well, as it might've looked odd to have different sized windows either side.

But that’s a non-argument, surely? How can you look at both sides at the same time?

Land Rover acknowledged that with the Discovery; they put an air intake on only one wing. It only needed one air intake and nobody can see both sides at the same time so what’s the problem with them being asymmetric?

And i was thinking that it could be a thing to have a proper heads on a more upmarket boat but then harrybsmith didnt have one on his Highbridge 32. I hav been on a few Dawncratft but the 19-26 range and all have had these daft designs for the heads. A Burland 26 i once had had the same I blanked that off to fit a separate window ) and  a Creighton 26 center cockpit had a split window,  unless i made it a very long heads.

Rach i would not be impressed at all if your had a split window, for some reason your cruiser is on a different scale all together to me ;)

Looks like it is just very poor design,  as to think that a boat does not need a heads and not fit one properly. 

I cant see that a good way to design anything Zenataaom just doesnt make sense to me either as does it to Tony.. 

If both windows are the same then they could be used both side but if the front and rear ends have a slight different angle to point then they can only go one side.  

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

But that’s a non-argument, surely? How can you look at both sides at the same time?

Land Rover acknowledged that with the Discovery; they put an air intake on only one wing. It only needed one air intake and nobody can see both sides at the same time so what’s the problem with them being asymmetric?

Nothing. Our boat is asymmetric.

The walkway on the port side is wider then the walkway on the starboard side and the starboard side has two port lights and the port side has only one.

2 hours ago, W+T said:

And i was thinking that it could be a thing to have a proper heads on a more upmarket boat but then harrybsmith didnt have one on his Highbridge 32. I hav been on a few Dawncratft but the 19-26 range and all have had these daft designs for the heads. A Burland 26 i once had had the same I blanked that off to fit a separate window ) and  a Creighton 26 center cockpit had a split window,  unless i made it a very long heads.

Rach i would not be impressed at all if your had a split window, for some reason your cruiser is on a different scale all together to me ;)

Looks like it is just very poor design,  as to think that a boat does not need a heads and not fit one properly. 

I cant see that a good way to design anything Zenataaom just doesnt make sense to me either as does it to Tony.. 

If both windows are the same then they could be used both side but if the front and rear ends have a slight different angle to point then they can only go one side.  

There are a lot of older cruisers bigger then yours that didn't have proper heads. It didn't seem to be a consideration back then. Perhaps they didn't shower as often as folks do now :blink:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, W+T said:

And i was thinking that it could be a thing to have a proper heads on a more upmarket boat but then harrybsmith didnt have one on his Highbridge 32. 

Crikey, I'm flattered! 

Symmetry is a bit of a non-argument, I'll concede to that.

Another reason potentially is to make it somewhat less obvious to gongoozlers / interested parties on the towpath as to where the shower is? (I'm really clutching at straws now)