TV aerial pole mounting. How?

reg

Featured Posts

What methods are used to mount a tv aerial pole on boat which allows for rapid installation, rotation and locking. 

Currently using a bodge job but want a more permanent bracket. 

Boat semi trad with rear double doors, would like to mount bracket right of doors and on or near the overhang lip. 

Thanks 

I used to use car exhaust clamps to hold an aluminium pole back when I had television on board. You need access from the inside of the boat to tighten them up though and I am sure there are better ways. If it is by the back door and you use this as the normal way in and out when moored, then make sure that you have a long enough pole that you don't hit your head on the aerial. Guess how I found that out! :wacko:

Jen

4 minutes ago, reg said:

What methods are used to mount a tv aerial pole on boat which allows for rapid installation, rotation and locking. 

Currently using a bodge job but want a more permanent bracket. 

Boat semi trad with rear double doors, would like to mount bracket right of doors and on or near the overhang lip. 

Thanks 

I have a purpose built aluminioun pole that goes through the roof of my boat and runs down alongside a bulkead inside the cabin It goes up and down in seconds is completely watertight and does not intrude due to its position. It was fitted from new but would be doable retro fitting. I dont know the maker but its first rate.

I have a suitably sized munsen  ring and back plate (from a plumbers merchant screwed to my gas tank so you could screw it to the front of the seat just behind the bulkhead. The screws in the ring have been replaced with finger screws. I modified a plumbers  compression fitting to form a cup that is bolted to the floor directly below the ring but I have a steel fixed floor, you may need two rings, on top and one bottom or cut a hole in your floor board for the cup.

Loosen screws if needed. side pole    through ring into cup. Extend pole with aerial on top. Align & tighten screws. Being all metal (brass) should last longer than plastic caravan fittings.

Beaten by Rusty while I was typing.

Edited by Tony Brooks

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have a purpose built aluminioun pole that goes through the roof of my boat and runs down alongside a bulkead inside the cabin It goes up and down in seconds is completely watertight and does not intrude due to its position. It was fitted from new but would be doable retro fitting. I dont know the maker but its first rate.

Something like this http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-motorhome/televisions/aerial-accessories/status-580-caravan-tv-aerial-long-mast/

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well done old bean. Thats the kiddie. I dont have the posh aerial on top but thats the pole set up. I have a ten quid ebay aerial that gives faultless reception.

Edited by mrsmelly

I have a socket on the bows of the boat that takes the flag mast while cruising, a parasol when the sun shines, a whirly washing line (used once) and at night a TV mast at night. It consists of a piece of pipe about 6-8" long welded on the tunnel light mast with a stop in the bottom to stop the poles sliding right through.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Well done old bean. Thats the kiddie. I dont have the posh aerial on top but thats the pole set up. I have a ten quid ebay aerial that gives faultless reception.

It was the first I could find, A friend had one on his boat with the same set up as you,

Two keyhole-shaped holes (imagine an upside-down keyhole), one above the other, in the supporting pole itself, and two matching cheese-head screws in the vertical surface on which the aerial is to be mounted - in my case, the cratch board.  The mounting is invisible for all practical purposes when the aerial is absent. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caramast-Telescopic-3m-Satellite-Dish-TV-Aerial-Mounting-Mast-Pole-With-Wheel/152661773978?hash=item238b59ce9a:g:tTsAAOSwtTVZj~qf

I've got this aerial and fixings. Fixings are obviously permanent (on the cratch in my case) and aerial pole just slides in whenever required.  

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have a socket on the bows of the boat that takes the flag mast while cruising, a parasol when the sun shines, a whirly washing line (used once) and at night a TV mast at night. It consists of a piece of pipe about 6-8" long welded on the tunnel light mast with a stop in the bottom to stop the poles sliding right through.

I was hoping for something with a quick clamp mechanism so that I could insert the pole, rotate it and then eadily clamp it at the base. Your suggestion looks like a good line of investigation. Possible a modified umbrella holder with a clamping mechanism could do the job, just need to find a good candidate. 

Theroretical set up would be permanently mounted bracket to hold umbrella clamp. Pole goes into clamp. Job done (possibly) 

Certainly a worthy line for further investigation 

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, reg said:

I was hoping for something with a quick clamp mechanism so that I could insert the pole, rotate it and then eadily clamp it at the base. Your suggestion looks like a good line of investigation. Possible a modified umbrella holder with a clamping mechanism could do the job, just need to find a good candidate. 

Theroretical set up would be permanently mounted bracket to hold umbrella clamp. Pole goes into clamp. Job done (possibly) 

Certainly a worthy line for further investigation 

Thanks 

Mine just slips into the socket, seconds. I wont be back to the boat for a while now so cant do a photo

2 minutes ago, RichLech said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caramast-Telescopic-3m-Satellite-Dish-TV-Aerial-Mounting-Mast-Pole-With-Wheel/152661773978?hash=item238b59ce9a:g:tTsAAOSwtTVZj~qf

I've got this aerial and fixings. Fixings are obviously permanent (on the cratch in my case) and aerial pole just slides in whenever required.  

Was posting same time as you were typing, that looks like a candidate but hard to tell from photo how the clamping mechanism works? 

Ideally I want to remove the pole every time I move the boat on. Essentially, and ideally, I'm looking for a quick clamping mechanism. 

We have this Maxview system (actually to mount a whirligig) ; the two plates are permanently fixed to the rear cabin bulkhead and the clamps clip on when needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxview-H84074-Universal-Aerial-Clamps/dp/B009T1WHPM/ref=pd_cp_23_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BR0EWWR25EH3H21F0N69

• Greenie 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CARAMAST-JOCKEY-WHEEL-KIT-TO-FIT-ALL-1-CARAVAN-TV-AERIAL-POLES/252610596078?epid=1239300054&hash=item3ad0c3ccee:g:jOIAAOSwR5dXSB4e

The caramast comes with a couple of clamps like these. Obviously you don't use the U bolts to fix to the jockey wheel as you would on a caravan. You just fix the black plastic clamps to the boat. When you need to put the aerial through the clamps, simply tighten up with the butterfly bolts. 

2 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

We have this Maxview system (actually to mount a whirligig) ; the two plates are permanently fixed to the rear cabin bulkhead and the clamps clip on when needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxview-H84074-Universal-Aerial-Clamps/dp/B009T1WHPM/ref=pd_cp_23_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BR0EWWR25EH3H21F0N69

Strong candidate. For a tenner I might give that a try. 

Edited to add

Will be giving these a try. Firstly with my existing pole and if happy may treat myself to a Maxview telescopic pole. 

Thanks for all of the replies. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I have the same set up and it works a treat. The aerial can be erected or lowered from inside the cratch. It was fitted by the local boaty-job man. 

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, sharpness said:

Fast Clamp Base Flange C11 Size 6(G25) Handrail Fitting, Galvanised 131-B34 (Kee Klamp Compatible 61-6)

Key Klamp fitting of appropriate size on roof overhang at front, 22mm copper tube as aerial mast, easily rotated, 22mm end feed tee in clamp on aerial so aerial can be used either orientation as required.

Really couldn't be simpler, I like it that way. 

This is my new favourite answer, will be hard not to find a solution from their range

http://www.fwb.co.uk/pipe-hose-fittings/kee-klamp

For my use it looks like this one will do the job

http://www.fwb.co.uk/pipe-hose-fittings/kee-klamp/kee-klamp-galv-656-horizontal-railing-

Not sure about the copper fittings though as being permanently out on the cut it just might go walkabout, most likely go the galvanized steel route

3 hours ago, reg said:

Am I not understanding something about pipe sizes? It states it’s for tubing with a nominal bore of 1” or od of 21.3mm. 

With 1” being 25.4mm how does that work?

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

Am I not understanding something about pipe sizes? It states it’s for tubing with a nominal bore of 1” or od of 21.3mm. 

With 1” being 25.4mm how does that work?

Good question looks like incorrect data. But as Sharpness states it works with 22mm pipe so that will do for me. 

54 minutes ago, reg said:

Good question looks like incorrect data. But as Sharpness states it works with 22mm pipe so that will do for me. 

I "found" the Kee Klamp socket in the scrap box at work & 22mm copper tube happened to fit, there's loads of different size Kee Klamp fittings, I just picked that picture from google to show what I meant. Proper Kee Klamp tube is usually galvanised, the bigger sizes are used for handrailings, barriers etc. Its just the socket I found fitted the tube I had.

17 minutes ago, sharpness said:

I "found" the Kee Klamp socket in the scrap box at work & 22mm copper tube happened to fit, there's loads of different size Kee Klamp fittings, I just picked that picture from google to show what I meant. Proper Kee Klamp tube is usually galvanised, the bigger sizes are used for handrailings, barriers etc. Its just the socket I found fitted the tube I had.

Serendipity  strikes, emptied my rubbish today and found 4x 4ft x 28mm good quality chrome tubes in the bin just staring up at me, ideal if i can find 28mm Kee Klamps.

So the fact that they do various sizes is good news for me. Will just have to verify sizes are correct before I order thanks to Wotever for pointing that out.

Thanks to all others for all the info much appreciated

ETA

Found similar here, looks like 26.9mm is one of the standard sizes so I might be lucky with a slight mod at the tube end.

http://ipmfittings.co.uk/tube-sizes/

Edited by reg