Winter moorings question

blackrat779

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Still no need for the aggressive tone to your posts. I get annoyed and can be aggressive on occasion, but on a discussion forum, such as this, there's no need for it.

Aggressive tone?

Im telling it like it is plain and simple, I’m not here for this cock and ball.

People like Mike and Arthur are passive aggressive they hide on Internet forums and spout this nonsense when on the tow path they will say nothing because they know they will be told where to run and jump.

If the reality of that tone offends you hurry up because I only have two ends to that middle finger as frankly I’m not assed and will not tolerate double standards from plastic boaters who are the biggest p takers themselves.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Arsiness, rudeness and general aggression is sometimes the result when a poster is unable to logically support or reasonably explain the position they are holding. 

‘Reasonable in the circumstances’

you’ll get there in the end love if only you would stop with the double standards, yeah we know who you are and your game.

On 17/01/2018 at 20:46, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think we are in agreement there.

It's just that icy days probably add up to no more than about ten in any given winter. The lovely jenwil is attempting to use this as a feeble excuse to avoid moving for five months in each year. 

'Pretend CCer' or what!

Post your log and lets see how much you have cruised and I will post mine then let’s see who the ‘boater’ is.

Should have bought a caravan Mike as having a mooring is no excuse to think you are lord of the manor and are free to bridge hop to your hearts content.

Come on let’s see that log mouthy boy;))

Edited by Jenwil

5 minutes ago, Jenwil said:

Aggressive tone?

People like Mike and Arthur are passive aggressive they hide on Internet forums and spout this nonsense when on the tow path they will say nothing because they know they will be told where to run and jump.

If the reality of that tone offends you hurry up because I only have two ends to that middle finger as frankly I’m not assed and will not tolerate double standards from plastic boaters who are the biggest p takers themselves.

‘Reasonable in the circumstances’

you’ll get there in the end love if only you would stop with the double standards, yeah we know who you are and your game.

"We" know who you are.............WE?

8 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

"We" know who you are.............WE?

I rest my case, out of all the points I made you picked up on the ‘WE’

It may come to your surprise people do talk and sit on each other’s boats and share the judgements that are being made by internet cowards and bullies.

Its like who the f is Mike to judge my reasons and call them feeble then call me a pretend CCer ?

WE are all in agreement on that one...

Edited by Dave_P
Personal attack

1 minute ago, Jenwil said:

Aggressive tone?

Well, you know me so well. Actually, you are the one hiding on internet forums - at least I have the bottle to put my name to my posts and my boat name as well.  You, however, just mouth off while hiding behind a pseudonym (that mean "a made up name", if you've thrown the dictionary out of your pram with your dummy).

Been to London, eh? Cor. None of us have ever done anything like that.  Big city somewhere down south, isn;t it?

Look, it's winter.  You chose to live on a boat. You chose to be a continuous cruiser, which is a nice thing to be. Just relax and enjoy it, and don't run and jump on the towpath, it could be slippy.

It's odd though, the only other poster I can remember with a tone like this had a similar posting name and has since departed to the other place. Anyone else spotted the resemblance?

4 minutes ago, Jenwil said:

Post your log and lets see how much you have cruised and I will post mine then let’s see who the ‘boater’ is.

Should have bought a caravan Mike as having a mooring is no excuse to think you are lord of the manor and are free to bridge hop to your hearts content.

As I seem to recall that personal attacks are verboten, this being a discussion forum not pit contest, I've reported that post.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jenwil said:

I rest my case, out of all the points I made you picked up on the ‘WE’

It may come to your surprise people do talk and sit on each other’s boats and share the judgements that are being made by internet cowards and bullies.

Wow! Started on little old me now!

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Well, you know me so well. Actually, you are the one hiding on internet forums - at least I have the bottle to put my name to my posts and my boat name as well.  You, however, just mouth off while hiding behind a pseudonym (that mean "a made up name", if you've thrown the dictionary out of your pram with your dummy).

Been to London, eh? Cor. None of us have ever done anything like that.  Big city somewhere down south, isn;t it?

Look, it's winter.  You chose to live on a boat. You chose to be a continuous cruiser, which is a nice thing to be. Just relax and enjoy it, and don't run and jump on the towpath, it could be slippy.

It's odd though, the only other poster I can remember with a tone like this had a similar posting name and has since departed to the other place. Anyone else spotted the resemblance?

Again with the passive aggressive comments.

I don’t know what the other place is I’m afraid and certainly never been here before.

On 19/01/2018 at 23:26, Jenwil said:

Changed my mind. 

Edit again: For the avoidance of doubt, Dave P's edit of this post was not to delete anything I said, but to delete my quote from Jenwil which presumably breached the posting guidelines.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

10 hours ago, Jenwil said:

I have travelled to London and back and my license period has 3 months to go I am a boater, you on the other hand linger around the north of England while talking shite on this forum pretending to be a boater, simply leave me alone.

If I need to stay put because I deem the weather foul then I will do so, if there are no locks there are still slippy gunwhales and decks which the law recognises as reasonable,you can lick my middle finger if you don’t like it and CRT will not be mithered either.

I don’t have an agreement with CRT I have a license to cruise, having a license and agreeing to terms and conditions are worlds apart, and before you go on with more diretribe save it the law couldn’t give two hoots and neither can I.

The law does not directly recognise this. It uses the very helpful device of reasonable which is a well-tested legal approach but one which often leaves literalists and those pushing at boundaries in a hard place. The only way to decide whether a particular action is permitted by law is to do it and then see how the system reacts. In the first instance, it is The Board who have to be satisfied that it is reasonable but their decision can subsequently be tested in a court if the aggrieved boater brings an action.

Even the, decisions are generally i lower courts and it can be difficult to carry over the decision in one case into others. Even if you find that one boater has succeeded in making the reasonable case for staying put in specific icy conditions, there is not guarantee that you could do likewise in potentially slightly different circumstances.

In general the ambiguity of the law works in everyone's favour but it does present problems to those who want absolute certainty. Sad that certainty is usually not what they want.

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Even if it means over staying, in the real world it's generally accepted (and expected) by other boaters and C&rt to stay put during shit and potentially dangerous weather. Unless you need to be elsewhere, why move? You probably won't see anyone else moving. 

How often do you find such weather lasting longer than 14 days without a break? I know that there have been some exceptional events in the past, but I am asking generally?

32 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

How often do you find such weather lasting longer than 14 days without a break? I know that there have been some exceptional events in the past, but I am asking generally?

Stand by for the 'counter'

"it was day 13 and we were just getting ready to move off when it started to rain, so we just could not move"

17 hours ago, Jenwil said:

In the past 12 or so years I am reasonably sure I have boated far, far further than you, almost all singlehanded.  I'm puzzled as to why you think this should be relevant, but am glad to say that it hasn't turned me into an aggressive rude character with a chip on my shoulder.

On 07/01/2018 at 15:05, mrsmelly said:

Yes just a few years ago they were totaly different to the scheme now in use. Its known as Progress :rolleyes: or rapid backward movement.

How were they different? What was better? I can see the current ones are a rip off. As you say, it's better value in a marina. 

Edited by Goliath
?

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

How were they different? What was better? I can see the current ones are a rip off. As you say, it's better value in a marina. 

The last time I took a winter mooring I was on the K and A near Kintbury. I wanted a mooring and there was going to be a stoppage. I rang Bw and they let me moor above the lock and took money from me immediately for the privelage. All this recent special stretch nonsense which is usualy expensive and in poor locations is very recent. Not sure when but probably only as recent as the last five or ten years.

25 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think he may be referring to the Roving Winter permits which allowed you to stop anywhere rather than just as appointed places, move on, stop somewhere else and so on. It was subsequently suggested that these were 'illegal'.

Boaters without home moorings on the southern Grand Union Canal are being offered Roving Mooring Permits by CRT. Boaters are being offered a way out of the enforcement process that means paying a substantial extra fee (£800 per year for a 60 foot boat) to do what s.17(3)(c)(ii) of the British Waterways Act 1995 already permits them to do.

CRT cannot lawfully create a ‘Roving Mooring Permit’. If it did so, it would be creating a third licensing category in between the two that were created by the British Waterways Act 1995. s.17(3)(c) of the 1995 Act created two licence categories: (i) with a home mooring and (ii) without a home mooring. To create a third category would require change in the law, in other words an amendment to s.17(3)(c) of the British Waterways Act 1995.  CRT would be acting beyond its legal powers if it created a Roving Mooring Permit without such a change in the law.

CRT maintains that the Roving Mooring Permit is a type of home mooring, not a new category of licence, but this is not borne out by the facts. It does not provide a place where the boat “can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left” as is required by s.17(3)(c)(i) of the 1995 Act, because the Roving Mooring Permit requires boats to move every 14 days or 28 days between several places and does not provide any additional service or facility to the purchaser of the permit.

The Kennet and Avon Local Waterway Partnership rejected Roving Mooring Permits/  Community Mooring Permits in the Towpath Mooring Plan for the Kennet & Avon Canal West of Devizes, on the grounds that they would be regressive and divisive and would deny access to all boaters, and anglers, to large tracts of the towpath and create sections of canal where there were permanent lines of boats moored. The CRT Navigation Advisory Group wholeheartedly endorsed this.

It appears that the Local Waterway Partnership and the Navigation Advisory Group have been proved right; Roving Mooring Permits have already caused divisions both amongst continuous cruisers and also between boaters with home moorings and boaters without home moorings.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

for Mac of Cygnet: I understand your trapped by the Marple Flight closure. Have Bugsworth Basin been any help? I mean, I'd have thought they might offer some deal and the fee would go into doing the place up. Must be quiet in the basin this time of year. 

I actually stopped in Bugsworth and left my boat by arrangement for a week in Oct-Nov.  At the time I was trying to arrange moorings with the North Cheshire Cruising Club at High Lane, but this fell through.  I must say that Bugsworth would have been OK, but I'm quite happy where I am, with a good pub 5 minutes walk away, and friends living not far away.

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The last time I took a winter mooring I was on the K and A near Kintbury. I wanted a mooring and there was going to be a stoppage. I rang Bw and they let me moor above the lock and took money from me immediately for the privelage. All this recent special stretch nonsense which is usualy expensive and in poor locations is very recent. Not sure when but probably only as recent as the last five or ten years.

Who's looking after the basin? Did Pedro (?) leave?