Winter moorings question

blackrat779

Featured Posts

I know someone who has blagged themselves a free 5 month winter mooring on a popular VM for no charge, on the basis they have arthritis and walking along muddy towpaths otherwise would be a safety risk for them. CRT have accepted this argument. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know someone who has blagged themselves a free 5 month winter mooring on a popular VM for no charge, on the basis they have arthritis and walking along muddy towpaths otherwise would be a safety risk for them. CRT have accepted this argument. 

I'm surprised C&RT didn't offer to have them lifted out and dropped back in where there is a tarmac path.

Oooops bad idea - maybe it wouldn't then be convenient for school / work / hospital.

24 minutes ago, Jenwil said:

I’m not interested in Internet theory Arthur born from bored boaters sat on their backsides on a mooring bitching about continuous cruisers with little to no real life boating experience , slippy locks and decks due to frost and ice are more than reasonable reasons not to move and are the main differences from wet decks in summer.

Frankly if you come it with that on the towpath you would be told to F off as CRT have no issue with safety.

I am having difficulty in grasping the point you are trying to make. If you are suggesting that it is a waste of time securing a winter mooring if you continuously cruise and move regularly throughout the winter, I agree with you, but your posts seem to suggest that to pay for a winter mooring and not move is a rip off, if that is what you are saying, I cannot concur. I used to cruise all summer several weeks at a time and sometimes leaving the boat in one place for up to two weeks, but in the winter I chose to take a winter mooring, and just visit for a day every few weeks, I thought that was one of the reasons why winter moorings exist.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

I am having difficulty in grasping the point you are trying to make. If you are suggesting that it is a waste of time securing a winter mooring if you continuously cruise and move regularly throughout the winter, I agree with you, but your posts seem to suggest that to pay for a winter mooring and not move is a rip off, if that is what you are saying, I cannot concur. I used to cruise all summer several weeks at a time and sometimes leaving the boat in one place for up to two weeks, but in the winter I chose to take a winter mooring, and just visit for a day every few weeks, I thought that was one of the reasons why winter moorings exist.

Exactly.  And this is what I am doing at the moment.  In fact today I put off visiting the boat because of snow here likely to affect public transport, with the knowledge that I don't have to move anywhere until the end of February if I don't want to.  Jenwil has a very blinkered view of other people's situations, and it seems a very truculent attitude with it.

On 11/01/2018 at 11:39, Mac of Cygnet said:

Yes, I've done that, but the FAQs specifically say that there is no requirement to display them, and in fact I've seen only one other boat with them on , even though I know others have a winter mooring permit.

Although bizarrely when you get the permit it says this permit must be on clear display on your boat...

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A most unpleasant, selfish and anti-social attitude in my opinion, encountered more and more commonly on the cut these days.  

I don't find the last phrase particularly true - but then  a fifty year sample span may not be thought to be long enough to judge! I am always amazed by the number of well-meaning and helpful people there are on the canals - and alongside - often from a wide variety of circumstance. Always best to judge a book from its pages rather the cover.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't find the last phrase particularly true - but then  a fifty year sample span may not be thought to be long enough to judge!

Your sample span is about a decade longer than mine so you have a better perspective than me. 

There seems to me however to be more people around now who aggressively 'know their rights' than 30 years ago. Perhaps not be just in the world of canals and boating.  

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't find the last phrase particularly true - but then  a fifty year sample span may not be thought to be long enough to judge! I am always amazed by the number of well-meaning and helpful people there are on the canals - and alongside - often from a wide variety of circumstance. Always best to judge a book from its pages rather the cover.

I also have more than a fifty year span and certainly feel that there are far more hostile people in boats these days, than I recall in the past, particularly in the last ten years or so.

• Greenie 1

On 1/16/2018 at 15:17, Jenwil said:

I’m not interested in Internet theory Arthur born from bored boaters sat on their backsides on a mooring bitching about continuous cruisers with little to no real life boating experience , slippy locks and decks due to frost and ice are more than reasonable reasons not to move and are the main differences from wet decks in summer.

Frankly if you come it with that on the towpath you would be told to F off as CRT have no issue with safety.

I deny I was bitching about continuous cruisers with no real boating experience - some of them are pretty good, and realise that they live in the real world.  Others look for any excuse to badmouth CRT and just want an excuse (ee, it's raining! In England! And it's cold! In winter!) to stay put for weeks on end in prime spots.

Of course ice is a good reason not to move.  Frost isn't really, unless you have locks to do, and it hangs around all day, which this winter it hasn't.  Yet, anyway.  But it's strange how quick some people are to start stirring up the old canard about the rift between continuous cruisers and home moorers, which as far as I know only exists in the minds of one or two continuous cruisers - I've never heard a home moorer say anything of the sort,, and, in fact, only one or two CCers on here, never in real life.  But then I've only had my boat thirty years, lived on it on and off, so what the hell do I know?

I'm glad to see though from your last sentence that you agree that CRT treat the safety of boaters as paramount.  And nice alliteration in the first one, I do like a literate rant, though if you'd substituted "bollard" for "mooring" it would have been even better.

• Greenie 4

Actually, what I do find weird is that, assuming you take winter as from the beginning of November to the end of February, that's three months, or round about 12 weeks.  This mean that to be totally compliant with absolutely everything, a CCer would only have to get on the back of their boat, start the engine and shift their boat a few miles along the cut six times in those three months, maybe seven if they didn't want to leave it to the last minute.  And of course there are stoppages which can stop them moving anyway, as well as the possibility of iceing up.

No doubt someone will come along and tell me why someone who says they are continuously cruising can't move that often, but you can see why it might be hard to convince CRT.

3 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

You're too nice, Arthur.

My first wife said I was a total b**tard who overcompensated.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Happy 1

47 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I deny I was bitching about continuous cruisers with no real boating experience - some of them are pretty good, and realise that they live in the real world. 

And some of them (me for example) have more than one boat so can be both a CCer and a home moorer concurrently. 

I'd be able to moan to myself about my own behaviour next time I go off CCing!

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Actually, what I do find weird is that, assuming you take winter as from the beginning of November to the end of February, that's three months, or round about 12 weeks.

Does overcompensating mean getting your sums wrong? :)

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A most unpleasant, selfish and anti-social attitude in my opinion, encountered more and more commonly on the cut these days.  

So I’m selfish for not wanting to move my boat in foul weather and crack my head open on icy locks?

well I’ll tell you now I may be fairly new with only a few years ccing but there are several boaters who have literally dug the canal out and hold the same opinion so perhaps stay on your mooring and brown nose CRT because frankly your not welcome with the constant let’s tell boats without a mooring what they can and can’t do and what the rules are, again from a boater who is time served .

bloody internet clowns.

59 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

You're too nice, Arthur.

Well I’m on the Mac 

Edited by Jenwil

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I deny I was bitching about continuous cruisers with no real boating experience - some of them are pretty good, and realise that they live in the real world.  Others look for any excuse to badmouth CRT and just want an excuse (ee, it's raining! In England! And it's cold! In winter!) to stay put for weeks on end in prime spots.

Of course ice is a good reason not to move.  Frost isn't really, unless you have locks to do, and it hangs around all day, which this winter it hasn't.  Yet, anyway.  But it's strange how quick some people are to start stirring up the old canard about the rift between continuous cruisers and home moorers, which as far as I know only exists in the minds of one or two continuous cruisers - I've never heard a home moorer say anything of the sort,, and, in fact, only one or two CCers on here, never in real life.  But then I've only had my boat thirty years, lived on it on and off, so what the hell do I know?

I'm glad to see though from your last sentence that you agree that CRT treat the safety of boaters as paramount.  And nice alliteration in the first one, I do like a literate rant, though if you'd substituted "bollard" for "mooring" it would have been even better.

54 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And some of them (me for example) have more than one boat so can be both a CCer and a home moorer concurrently. 

I'd be able to moan to myself about my own behaviour next time I go off CCing!

59 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Actually, what I do find weird is that, assuming you take winter as from the beginning of November to the end of February, that's three months, or round about 12 weeks.  This mean that to be totally compliant with absolutely everything, a CCer would only have to get on the back of their boat, start the engine and shift their boat a few miles along the cut six times in those three months, maybe seven if they didn't want to leave it to the last minute.  And of course there are stoppages which can stop them moving anyway, as well as the possibility of iceing up.

No doubt someone will come along and tell me why someone who says they are continuously cruising can't move that often, but you can see why it might be hard to convince CRT.

It’s none of your business what anyone else does whatsoever with their boat.

I have clocked up more miles than most in the last 12 months so go figure.

4 minutes ago, Jenwil said:

It’s none of your business what anyone else does whatsoever with their boat.

I have clocked up more miles than most in the last 12 months so go figure.

As for your first sentence, this is a discussion forum, so folk discuss stuff. You’re perfectly welcome to either join in or not but you don’t have any right to tell others that they can’t discuss an issue just because you don’t like their opinion. 

Your second sentence... :D:D:D