Size of water tank?

IanR

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Geez Dr Barb, I thought you would just jump into the Med for a wash. Not suggesting you jump into the Grand Union though unless you have a giant rubber duck to cling to.

Have you ever been to Messolonghi marina in Greece? The water in the GU is probably cleaner?

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Have you ever been to Messolonghi marina in Greece? The water in the GU is probably cleaner?

Nope. We did go on a flotilla holiday in the early 80's around the greek Islands. The boat was an ancient snapdragon. My favourite islands were Spetses and Hydra.

Edited by rusty69

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have no idea what a Litre? is perhaps its some foreign measurement? We live aboard and less than 100 GALLONS will be a pain in the backside if you move the  boat about, bigger if at all possible. You say you intend to " Live " aboard but will have the washing machine in your house? does that mean you intend humping washing back there like using a launderette?  Are you going to cruise around or live alongside somewhere permanently as these require different living tactics. A big cauliflower is a bonus.

We have workshops at the house that are in use every day by either one or both of us, so bunging washing in is hardly going to be an issue. We have a home mooring but already move about a fair bit, but mainly locally, within 20 miles or so, due to work. The boat is probably on its home mooring less than it isn't. We'll almost definately keep the home mooring even when we have the boat habitable.

22 minutes ago, IanR said:

We have workshops at the house that are in use every day by either one or both of us, so bunging washing in is hardly going to be an issue. We have a home mooring but already move about a fair bit, but mainly locally, within 20 miles or so, due to work. The boat is probably on its home mooring less than it isn't. We'll almost definately keep the home mooring even when we have the boat habitable.

Ok that's all good so you are semi liveaboards with a house to use when it gets cold :D Honestly trust me been there done that with the washing and as a liveabord and not a caveman a washing machine is worth its weight in gold. Have you room on the boat to fit one? We have washing machine, tumble drier etc etc and wouldn't be without them. Do get as big a water tank as you can and the big hot water tank is fine. As for not wanting to let water stand too long many people leave it for months without problem :cheers:

I have a Rayburn Royal in my boat it can heat 100 gallons of water a day, it will require a radiator or two on it as well otherwise it will boil the cauliflower!! Your cauliflower is just about big enough for the Rayburn. My cold water tank is way over a 1000 litres and I consider that just about big enough

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have a Rayburn Royal in my boat it can heat 100 gallons of water a day, it will require a radiator or two on it as well otherwise it will boil the cauliflower!! Your cauliflower is just about big enough for the Rayburn. My cold water tank is way over a 1000 litres and I consider that just about big enough

One of the things I miss from my fattie is the 250 gallon water tank whatever that was in foreign?

1 hour ago, IanR said:

Gas bottles and locker gives us the same issues, space for a deep locker isn't available so we are limited to smaller bottles, but apart from the comparative costs, if you have two and a manual switch over then surely a small bottle will never be an issue??

When you say smaller bottles, are you talking smaller than the usual 13kg Calor? These really aren't that big but, if you are thinking smaller (6kg?), I'd bust a gut to make room both on cost per kwh and on ease of availability.  I don't see a need for a changeover valve really because it's such an infrequent change and it's barely any more difficult to change the regulator over to the full bottle - it has to come off the empty one anyway to replace it. If all you have is a gas cooker, smaller ones would work at a push.

1 hour ago, IanR said:

We have a home mooring but already move about a fair bit, but mainly locally, within 20 miles or so, due to work. The boat is probably on its home mooring less than it isn't. We'll almost definately keep the home mooring even when we have the boat habitable.

With a movement pattern like that you will have to keep the home mooring, as you won't comply with the requirements for CCers.

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

1136.532 litres

http://bfy.tw/Fuse

Thankyou and aint that proof that imperial makes far more sense :cheers:

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

With a movement pattern like that you will have to keep the home mooring, as you won't comply with the requirements for CCers.

Aaaaggghhhhhhh  oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

Although the house is less than a minute to the canal the land between it and us isn't ours, I doubt we'd get away with running a lead over the railway line either! I doubt we'll ever comply with the CC requirements though once we move onboard our pattern might change perhaps. As to the fairweather boater bit, far from it, we spent Christmas and New Year in the ice with only a back cabin, 'twas splendid.

The problem with our gas situation is the height of the bottles. I think the maximum locker depth we have available (gunwale to waterline at the point just infront of the engine room) is 550mm. If we moved the locker into the undercloth bit, to gain any more height above the gunwale takes the gas bottles towards the middle of the boat due to the triangular nature of the undercloth bit. We plan on a 2 ring gas cooker or similar as the only gas appliance as we used the Rayburn more often than not when it was in a house. I appreciate that the Rayburn will probably not be used in the height of our summers though. It's all in the thinking stage at the moment so any comments and experienced opinions are welcomed.

Ian.

A 13Kg bottle seems to last 3 to 4 months for one, or two people on board and cooking every day on gas from what I and my boating neighbours have found. This includes oven use as well as rings. Going for a smaller 6Kg bottle to fit the available space might still only mean changing bottles every six weeks or so. No huge problem I'd have thought.

You are aware of the boat safety scheme requirements for gas bottle lockers to be gas tight up to near the top and draining any escaping gas overboard?

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have no idea what a Litre? is perhaps its some foreign measurement? 

You are joking of course. I doubt you  have failed to observe the sale of diesel and petrol has been priced per litre since 1995. 

I have encountered imperial measurements throughout my life. This despite  my education  from the age of 12 , including later years at   university, was entirely in metric units. I work in the construction industry that went over to metric measurements well before my time in the industry,   in 1972. 

It does not  surprise me when people do not understand metric measurements. My mother in law claim sto not even understand temperature in degrees C . Oddly she seems to have no problem understanding money in decimal form.

I am as guilty as the next person of thinking of my weight in stones and pounds  and height in feet and inches , and usually refer to the length of the boat in feet . And even more amazingly my car displays fuel consumption in miles per gallon . Imperial measures are undoubtedly easier to handle . The mix of metric and imperial is perhaps a quaintly British (and Irish) thing .

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

You are joking of course. I doubt you  have failed to observe the sale of diesel and petrol has been priced per litre since 1995. 

I have encountered imperial measurements throughout my life. This despite  my education  from the age of 12 , including later years at   university, was entirely in metric units. I work in the construction industry that went over to metric measurements well before my time in the industry,   in 1972. 

It does not  surprise me when people do not understand metric measurements. My mother in law claim sto not even understand temperature in degrees C . Oddly she seems to have no problem understanding money in decimal form.

I am as guilty as the next person of thinking of my weight in stones and pounds  and height in feet and inches , and usually refer to the length of the boat in feet . And even more amazingly my car displays fuel consumption in miles per gallon . Imperial measures are undoubtedly easier to handle . The mix of metric and imperial is perhaps a quaintly British (and Irish) thing .

But they still tell you how many miles per gallon a car does. How it's priced is unimportant, if you are filling your car the pump clocks up in pound and pence, if you fill the boat the man says how many pounds he wants.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Thankyou and aint that proof that imperial makes far more sense :cheers:

No.... and here's why:

You could equally convert 1000 litres into imperial gallons and get a similarly awkward figure of 219.97 so that argument works both ways. 

Now, how much does your 250 gallons weigh?  Don't know?  Or how's about the 219.97 gallons? Don't know either?   Well, if the first was written as 1136.532 litres, it's (as near as makes absolutely no difference) 1136.532 kilograms or write the second as 1000 litres and it's 1000 kilograms or a metric tonne. Now that makes quite a lot of sense to me. Oh, and I was schooled in Imperial units too, by the way.

Anyway, I know that won't convince you so I'm off for a pint... ;)

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No.... and here's why:

You could equally convert 1000 litres into imperial gallons and get a similarly awkward figure of 219.97 so that argument works both ways. 

Now, how much does your 250 gallons weigh?  Don't know?  Or how's about the 219.97 gallons? Don't know either?   Well, if the first was written as 1136.532 litres, it's (as near as makes absolutely no difference) 1136.532 kilograms or write the second as 1000 litres and it's 1000 kilograms or a metric tonne. Now that makes quite a lot of sense to me. Oh, and I was schooled in Imperial units too, by the way.

I agree with you - the maths is much easier in metric units.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I agree with you - the maths is much easier in metric units.

That's a fact. I was taught in the imperial system and only "went metric" as an apprentice. Way and above easier. We have made it hard in the UK by mixing imperial with metric. 8ftx4ft sheets 12mm thick etc.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

No.... and here's why:

Not lager I hope? Thats foreign you know :D

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

No.... and here's why:

Actually a gallon of water weighs 10 lbs.

So 250 gallons weighs 2500lbs and there are 2240 lbs in a ton, so a ton and a bit (about 1.1 tons is as good as I can work out in my head) .  Easy. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought Sepsis was some sort of disease that you catch in  an NHS hospital

.....and Rusty as well.

We never got to the Agean. Just the Ionian and round the Peloponese,  into the Saronic gulf  and up the most expensive canal in the world - the Corinth canal - (based on Euros/Km). Spent 2 winters in Messolonghi in the Gulf of Patras - just west of the gulf of corinth. First winter, flew home, picked up the car and drove back - and explored Greece inland.

8 hours ago, IanR said:

Although the house is less than a minute to the canal the land between it and us isn't ours, I doubt we'd get away with running a lead over the railway line either! I doubt we'll ever comply with the CC requirements though once we move onboard our pattern might change perhaps. As to the fairweather boater bit, far from it, we spent Christmas and New Year in the ice with only a back cabin, 'twas splendid.

The problem with our gas situation is the height of the bottles. I think the maximum locker depth we have available (gunwale to waterline at the point just infront of the engine room) is 550mm. If we moved the locker into the undercloth bit, to gain any more height above the gunwale takes the gas bottles towards the middle of the boat due to the triangular nature of the undercloth bit. We plan on a 2 ring gas cooker or similar as the only gas appliance as we used the Rayburn more often than not when it was in a house. I appreciate that the Rayburn will probably not be used in the height of our summers though. It's all in the thinking stage at the moment so any comments and experienced opinions are welcomed.

Ian.

My Rayburn is used for about 7-8 months of the year in summer it would cook me!!!

On 07/01/2018 at 20:53, Chewbacka said:

Actually a gallon of water weighs 10 lbs.

So 250 gallons weighs 2500lbs and there are 2240 lbs in a ton, so a ton and a bit (about 1.1 tons is as good as I can work out in my head) .  Easy. 

Yeah, ok Chewy, but I was really just lightheartedly rattling MrSmelly's cage.  Your bit in brackets does rather prove the point tough, don't you think?  Not to Mrsmelly though, obviously! :D