Featured Posts

Does the team think.............? I need to use tape when using this sealing compound?.

I am making some changes to the fuel system and will be sealing both threaded joints and flange ones. Have purchased some Rocal Fuel sealer and wonder if this will seal threaded joints or will a suitable tape be needed as well as the Rocal compound?. Two of the joints will be steel male to brass female fittings and 2 compression fittings will be used. All about 10mm.

Thanks.

L.

If the threaded joints are a good fit then no tape should be needed, just the sealer.  PTFE tape is not compatible with diesel in the long term and tends to weep in the short-term.    The compression joints should not need any sealer if they are properly made. ( If you are re-using previously made onesthen some sealer will help.)

Flanged joints will depend on the fit.  I would use a suitable gasket material (available in small sheets from Model Engineering suppliers) and coat both sides and the flanges with the sealant.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

If the threaded joints are a good fit then no tape should be needed, just the sealer.  PTFE tape is not compatible with diesel in the long term and tends to weep in the short-term.    The compression joints should not need any sealer if they are properly made. ( If you are re-using previously made onesthen some sealer will help.)

Flanged joints will depend on the fit.  I would use a suitable gasket material (available in small sheets from Model Engineering suppliers) and coat both sides and the flanges with the sealant.

N

Thanks for the information, threads in good condition and carefully cleaned, new compression joints/olives will be used. Hopefully this repair will overcome a long term leak.

M