Summer adventure

the blind novice

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, the blind novice said:

Hi everyone. Im planning to spend the summer cruising the rivers and canals. I will be putting in at devizes wharf and where I go is not settled. So Im looking for invites or suggestions on places to go see. Will be on the water by April. Many thanks. The Blind Novice

Szie of boat makes a HUGE difference to any replies? Being put in at Devizes means going east mainly if you intend staying inland cruising. More details please. For instance is it a widebeam boat or a 20 foot narrowbeam grp cruiser?

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Szie of boat makes a HUGE difference to any replies? Being put in at Devizes means going east mainly if you intend staying inland cruising. More details please. For instance is it a widebeam boat or a 20 foot narrowbeam grp cruiser?

It's a 20 ft yogurt pot. Not widebeam. Only inland travel. 

5 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

It's a 20 ft yogurt pot. Not widebeam. Only inland travel. 

Ahh, then the worlds yer oyster so to speak. Much will depend on how far you want to go and wether you have to work at all? Your only problems could arise from underpower on some rivers in the wrong conditions I am assuming a small petrol outboard? but if yer power to weight ratio so to speak is correct then anywhere you wish. If you have all summer and no work I would pootle up to York. A fab trip inland of around 380 ish miles from there I would think. Covers every aspect of inland boating and entering York on the Ouse is fab. You could then nip over the Leeds and Liverpool to the western side and back down the Trent and Mersey and the midlands. A nice steady jaunt for the summer all in all :cheers:

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh, then the worlds yer oyster so to speak. Much will depend on how far you want to go and wether you have to work at all? Your only problems could arise from underpower on some rivers in the wrong conditions I am assuming a small petrol outboard? but if yer power to weight ratio so to speak is correct then anywhere you wish. If you have all summer and no work I would pootle up to York. A fab trip inland of around 380 ish miles from there I would think. Covers every aspect of inland boating and entering York on the Ouse is fab. You could then nip over the Leeds and Liverpool to the western side and back down the Trent and Mersey and the midlands. A nice steady jaunt for the summer all in all :cheers:

I have a Yamaha 9.9hp four stroke on a Norwegian cell boat. At least that what I think it is. But no work to impose. Im happy to follow your suggestions for a route. Im hoping to be able to park it in a marina near to rail link . So I can get back home every couple of weeks to sort post,laundry etc. Im hoping to get enough experience this year to tackle the Midi next year

7 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

I have a Yamaha 9.9hp four stroke on a Norwegian cell boat. At least that what I think it is. But no work to impose. Im happy to follow your suggestions for a route. Im hoping to be able to park it in a marina near to rail link . So I can get back home every couple of weeks to sort post,laundry etc. Im hoping to get enough experience this year to tackle the Midi next year

I was guessing about the usual ten horse outboard. plenty of power for canal use but I am not familiar with how they perform on a big river so hopefuly someone like naughty cal will be along with advice. There are websites online you could use for ideas I have never looked at one as I do it all old school but I believe " Canal plan " will be good for you?

,I used a 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke high thrust on the back of a 27' Dawncraft and did the tidal trent several times. being moored in Shardlow marina on the River Trent meant a river trip before i got onto a canal, i only ever had one hairy experience coming down from keadby when the river was going into flood. The biggest single problem with a petrol boat is getting fuel so you have to plan accordingly but it can be done, the only other downside is battery charging as most outboards only give around 8 1/2 amps.

Rick

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I was guessing about the usual ten horse outboard. plenty of power for canal use but I am not familiar with how they perform on a big river so hopefuly someone like naughty cal will be along with advice. There are websites online you could use for ideas I have never looked at one as I do it all old school but I believe " Canal plan " will be good for you?

It will be fine on the tidal rivers but will obviously need to work with not against the tides. Plenty of boats with similar sized engines in these parts.

Also plenty of marinas set up with laundry and shower facilities along the way.

If the OP does tackle the Ouse and head up to Ripon then while in the area I would recommend that they visit the Chesterfield Canal and come and see us on the Fossdyke and Witham, not missing out of course the lovely non tidal Trent.

38 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

You won't need any experience for the Midi, as the lock keepers will assume you are an idiot and insist you do what they tell you, which will probably be different for each lock.

Is that the " Canal du midi "?

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So a bit like the lockies on the Thames then?

Rubbish -

Thames lockies are wonderful, knowledgeable, long suffering, underpaid, misunderstood

and declining in numbers....... 

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The Alimentary canal is a doddle. No locks, down hill all the way, a bit twisty and turny, you'd need a good headlamp. :closedeyes:

Until you get to the suna tunnel, where its a tight squeeze going backwards.

Edited by rusty69

On 07/01/2018 at 11:39, JamesFrance said:

You won't need any experience for the Midi, as the lock keepers will assume you are an idiot and insist you do what they tell you, which will probably be different for each lock.

Do they then shrug their shoulders and mutter “bof!”?