Gasket

Featured Posts

My engine (Mitsubishi K4D) has recently started to lose coolant, which is most unusual. It's not ending up the floor, as that is bone dry. The engine was also rather hard to start at the weekend - again most unusual. And I noticed steam (I think - I didn't sniff too closely) coming out of the dipstick tube.

I am assuming this is going to be a head gasket issue - any other possibilities? I have read a few websites on this, which mainly list the various symptoms you can get, depending on precisely which part of the gasket has failed, but also stress that diagnosis can be quite difficult! 

Many thanks in advance. BOAT, I suspect?

If you use the sniff test, and it comes up with exhaust fumes then it's the head gasket.

If it doesn't but you are gathering water in the sump then it's going to be some'at cracked internally.

I suggested a sniff kit because of your question.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, zenataomm said:

If you use the sniff test, and it comes up with exhaust fumes then it's the head gasket.

If it doesn't but you are gathering water in the sump then it's going to be some'at cracked internally.

I suggested a sniff kit because of your question.

What colour is the oil in the sump?

Black=no fault

grey=fault

Bod

• 3 weeks later...

Panic over -  the yard have had a look now. The pressure cap was somewhat knackered, and  (despite several checks in the autumn) there were some small leaks on one of my jubilee clips. I think the steam/vapour was just a bit of condensation inside the engine, I gave it a good run on Friday and it stopped pretty soon. Also changed the fuel filters, the fuel was very clean and dry. 

I think I do now want a pressure tester kit. Can anyone recommend one please that fits on a standard Bowman heat exchanger ?

If you have an oil cooler they can cause symptoms similar to yours. I'm not familiar with the engine that you have but some do suffer with condensation in the crankcase, i've had a couple of Volvo 850s and had my heart sink on pulling out the dipstick, finding it coated in custard and assuming the worst-only to find there was nothing wrong.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

If you have an oil cooler they can cause symptoms similar to yours. I'm not familiar with the engine that you have but some do suffer with condensation in the crankcase, i've had a couple of Volvo 850s and had my heart sink on pulling out the dipstick, finding it coated in custard and assuming the worst-only to find there was nothing wrong.

Thanks, that is reassuring. I don't have an oil cooler. There's no sign of anything odd or custard like on the dipstick or under the oil filler/rocker cover. I guess the puff of vapour from the dipstick tube has been going on for years, I have just never noticed it. I will look closely at the oil when I next change it. Indeed I think on my next trip I will pump a bit out to inspect and return...