Diesel heating 5kw new for £163

bigcol

Featured Posts

On 20/01/2018 at 10:29, smileypete said:

If it work OK and you don't need it maybe it could be sold on for a good proportion of what it costs.

With these cheapo things it does need some brave soul to try them out first in the service of the wider community... a.k.a. guinea pig. :unsure::)

I'm up for installing one in a boat as an experiment.

16 minutes ago, alvicchas1 said:

Hi,

0.58kg can definitely not be the weight of the heater. 5.8 kg is more realistic.

Could be a typo error or I remember you mentioning availability with and without LCD Monitor. You opted for with LCD Monitor.

Could they have dispatched the heater and monitor separately and you have the paperwork for the monitor.

Interesting that the basic heater is being listed on Ebay with delivery direct from the UK for £165.90 and Germany for £169.32 + £30.00 delivery.

No!!!!

i could only find the advert as postage from China, or Hong Kong. Where the adverts showing uk delivery.

re yes I did order the remote monitor, so yes could be just the monitor lol

But but but Can you imagine if this boiler kit complete,

if i remember corectley the expansion tank on its own was £65  cheapest pricehere in Blighty.

if this is a 5kw not a 2kw for £163 !! Can you imagine boaters having another choice other than eberspacher or webasto at 1/4 of the price saving.

col

48 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm up for installing one in a boat as an experiment.

VVKB seems to be the best one to go for ,£ 300 and something Quids .will be Installing the 5 KW Version Air Heater in a month or so.

As the Boat has a Solid fuel Stove and Mikuni Warm Air Heating already this 5KW VVKB one will be used for Back up or for Fast Warm up.

4 hours ago, bigcol said:

Yep but £163 sounds a lot better than £300 even?

It does but I'd suggest the extra £137 covers stuff like import duty and VAT, a proper English manual that accurately matches the item in the box, a local agent to support any guarantee claims and/or technical support requirements, a UK stockist of spare parts which can be looked up from your serial number and be guaranteed to be the correct part, and probably CE marking to prove compliance with EEC safety standards. 

Now if all those things are of no value to you, then yes £163 IS better than £300. But I hold that as soon as you need something on that list, you might be bemoaning its absence. 

23 hours ago, bigcol said:

Ah yes but dear master

i have listened before on the tutinions that I have been blessed on.

yes I will get a bill from them, x amount for imput tax 

and then there fee which could be more than the tax

i will write them a cheque paying for the import tax in full

but minus couriers fee etc which we never had a contract.

so will send a letter together with a cheque for the import duty only.

explaining that although paying for the import duty, I never had a contract with the courier re their charges.

by cashing in the cheque they accept this as full payment of the bill.

done this before and yes it’s worked. And if you google it, this it what it suggests you do.

i done this with my mppt controller tax was somthing like 9 pounds, the couriers paperwork charge was somthing like £21

just sent covering letter with cheque for £9

result!!

heareth endith my lesson

As you say you have no contract with DHL why pay anything. They choose to pay the import duties and VAT merely to provide a faster service than their competitor couriers.  HMRC advise them to reclaim this payment from the importer.  You are not the importer. The importer is their client who sold you the goods.  Your contract is with the seller.  But I bet you will still get an invoice from DHL, long after the goods have arrived, merely because it is easier to claim it from the receiver of the goods than upsetting their regular clients.  Ebay have no policy on this practice and will not help.  It comes down to the definition of the word "importer".

49 minutes ago, canalboat said:

The importer is their client who sold you the goods.

Totally incorrect - Big Col purchased the heater directly from China, so the person who sold the goods is actually the exporter.

As is the norm, the IMPORTER is always responsible for IMPORT duty & VAT

The seller clearly states in his advert "Custom duty is not included in item fees ,it's buyer's responsibility".

50 minutes ago, canalboat said:

It comes down to the definition of the word "importer".

Without a doubt, BigCol is the importer and responsible for import duty and payment of VAT.

Dictionary definition of Importer : "a person or organization that brings goods or services into a country from abroad"

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Totally incorrect - Big Col purchased the heater directly from China, so the person who sold the goods is actually the exporter.

As is the norm, the IMPORTER is always responsible for IMPORT duty & VAT

The seller clearly states in his advert "Custom duty is not included in item fees ,it's buyer's responsibility".

Without a doubt, BigCol is the importer and responsible for import duty and payment of VAT.

Dictionary definition of Importer : "a person or organization that brings goods or services into a country from abroad"

Well not totally, but I bow to your knowledge of this particular case.  I did say that his contract is with the seller and I now know that states "Custom duty is not included in item fees ,it's buyer's responsibility".  In my case, no such words were quoted on the ebay entry.  And using your own definition - WHO brought the goods into the country?

I know and understand and will pay the export duty.

this is a contract by law when importing goods.

I don’t have a contract with DHL, their invoice for work carried out by the exporter, or myself this I won’t pay.

i never had a contract with DHL so will pay them nothing at all, except the duty on the goods, which I leagally have to pay.

col

re Our Mike the boilermans statement, by buying the same through the UK, you get destructions instructions

who reads these anyway?? Lol

7 minutes ago, bigcol said:

re Our Mike the boilermans statement, by buying the same through the UK, you get destructions instructions

who reads these anyway?? Lol

Yes you get instructions for the UK version. But you are not buying a UK version. For a start, yours is a different power rating from the UK version you have the instructions for. The will be minor (and possibly major) other differences too.

I expect yours will come with instructions containing differences accordingly, but you won't know as they will be in Chinese or Russian. 

And only an idiot fails to read the instructions, surely!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Grammar and speeling.

I knew a lovely Chinese girl a few years back.? Pity, that would have come in useful now!

isnt there a app or somthing that transulate Chinese by copying or somthing I wonder!

Edited by bigcol

17 minutes ago, bigcol said:

I knew a lovely Chinese girl a few years back.? Pity, that would have come in useful now!

isnt there a app or somthing that transulate Chinese by copying or somthing I wonder!

Yes, these is an app in google, this is the result.

是的,這是在谷歌的應用程序,這是結果。

The chinese is a direct translation of the English above it.

https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en&tab=wT#auto/en/是的,這是在谷歌的應用程序,這是結果。

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, these is an app in google, this is the result.

是的,這是在谷歌的應用程序,這是結果。

The chinese is a direct translation of the English above it.

https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en&tab=wT#auto/en/是的,這是在谷歌的應用程序,這是結果。

The problem with that kind of literal translation is that you end up with the Chinglish that these things generally come with.  

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:08, bigcol said:

Yep but £163 sounds a lot better than £300 even?

the amazing thing a lot of these more pricier items are made in China anyway.

in fact everything comes from China.?

even my crocs lol

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:42, Mike the Boilerman said:

I expect yours will come with instructions containing differences accordingly, but you won't know as they will be in Chinese or Russian

A very interesting article in Jan issue of Practical Boat Owner "Heating that does not cost the earth" involving the Planar heater just 2-months after one in November on a similar subject.

It now has been followed up by a readers letter (March issue) expressing concerns, and a 'heated debate' has followed - Resulting in a 2-page discussion re the installation of the Planer & discussing the safety issues.

You really need to read the series of articles but of main concern appears to be that the Planar is supplied with a pressed steel (automotive) exhaust with potentially lethal 'leaks'. The exhaust needs changing over to a correct marine exhaust silencer.

The point was made by several contributors that an automotive exhaust is designed to be mounted outside of the vehicle and thus there is no need for them to be gas-tight. Boat exhausts tend to be in an enclosed locker that is often linked to the living space, the last thing you want is for fumes to be pumped in with your heated air.

Owen Cox of Planar was contacted and made several comments. To avoid taking things out of context it is better to read the whole article rather than me just quote snippets.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A very interesting article in Jan issue of Practical Boat Owner "Heating that does not cost the earth" involving the Planar heater just 2-months after one in November on a similar subject.

It now has been followed up by a readers letter (March issue) expressing concerns, and a 'heated debate' has followed - Resulting in a 2-page discussion re the installation of the Planer & discussing the safety issues.

You really need to read the series of articles but of main concern appears to be that the Planar is supplied with a pressed steel (automotive) exhaust with potentially lethal 'leaks'. The exhaust needs changing over to a correct marine exhaust silencer.

The point was made by several contributors that an automotive exhaust is designed to be mounted outside of the vehicle and thus there is no need for them to be gas-tight. Boat exhausts tend to be in an enclosed locker that is often linked to the living space, the last thing you want is for fumes to be pumped in with your heated air.

Owen Cox of Planar was contacted and made several comments. To avoid taking things out of context it is better to read the whole article rather than me just quote snippets.

Is this the discussion you mean? The YBW forum is linked to from the Practical Boat Owner site. There appears to be several threads on these el cheapo heaters.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?492470-Chinese-(5kw-)air-heater&highlight=planar

Or are you saying all the discussion you describe is in the printed magazine? And we have to BUY it? :o

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is this the discussion you mean? The YBW forum is linked to from the Practical Boat Owner site. There appears to be several threads on these el cheapo heaters.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?492470-Chinese-(5kw-)air-heater&highlight=planar

No - the articles and subsequent 'readers letters' and installers comments are purely 'on paper' in the magazine.

On the forum they are pretty much split tho' with 50/50 happy to put them in their sheds / vans and the rest saying 'no-way' and the odd one happy to put them in a boat.

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or are you saying all the discussion you describe is in the printed magazine? And we have to BUY it? :o

The January article that started the 'heated debate' was 'Fitting A Planar', which was purchased from the UK Distributor for £500, however it was found that it was not 'boat compatible' and that they needed to buy various extra components to be able to fit it :

1x heater mounting bracket £14.00

0.5m of exhaust pipe £9.50

5m roll of exhaust bandage £12.50

1x through-hull exhaust fitting £39.00

2m of air ducting £21.00

1x Hot air outlet £10.50

A marine exhaust silencer to replace the automotive one was over £250 and was not purchased.

The cost of the additional 'bits' to allow installation was £106.50

Interesting read.

so wasn’t the first to see these heaters then

anyway still waiting for heater to arrive.

i wonder if anyone’s complained to eBay, as these being sold are not Planars

To be fair am thinking of putting it on eBay, as somthing not needed

or selling privately.

or eBay

brand new, no reserve.

col

i need a water heater lol

26 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Anyway as soon as it arrives, I will take photos and will then maybe contact eBay

re selling counterfeits.

I am looking forward to seeing what we get for the money.

col

Hi

Don't hold your breath. ebay can wriggle better than insurance companies. How about their great marketing ploy telling us all how safe it is paying thro paypal on ebay with their money back guarantee?

Firiend of mine bought two solar panels and paid by paypal and on arrival one was smashed in the packaging. the seller wouldn't even acknowledge his emails so he went to ebay for refund on ONE of the panels. Their answer.............they only pay out if the item ordered was not delivered and as he items he had purchased had been delivered it was not their problem, they didn't care two hoots about the damage. Luckily for him his paypal account was a credit not debit card and his credit card issuer paid him back the total amount. So he got a free panel and the original seller who couldn't be arsed to reply lost out, bloomin lucky though. I reckon if yer heater comes fleabay will simply say you got what you ordered?