Open Canal Map ANDROID app Beta testers

reg

Featured Posts

Thought I would start this as a new topic rather than extend the long thread from September which is here

Just visited Tom's Open Canal map site to see how hes getting on and noticed he has  now putting the open canal map onto an Android app and is looking for Beta testers

to quote

"Open Canal Map Android Beta now available in Google Play..."

https://opencanalmap.uk/

https://twitter.com/Opencanalmap

Looks like it could be a good thing

Would love to join in but currently I can't download it as my Android tablet is choc a bloc with data, due an upgrade in a couple of months, but if anyone else is keen to beta test it I'm sure it could be a good addition to our mapping resources.

I Wish him well with this stage of his project, seems to be progressing nicely, hopefully he may be along at some point to give us an update

Edited by reg

Works well on my tablet.  First impressions - may not have all the detail of local stuff available on the eCanal maps, but less clunky to use, free, seems to show all the locks bridges and mooring points and probably kept more up to date than the eCanal ones, now they have been taken over. Needs a net connection to download the map but seems to retain it in memory once downloaded, but only in the initial detail level - eCanal maps work offline. No bugs found as yet...

Edited by Arthur Marshall

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Works well on my tablet.  First impressions - may not have all the detail of local stuff available on the eCanal maps, but less clunky to use, free, seems to show all the locks bridges and mooring points and probably kept more up to date than the eCanal ones, now they have been taken over. No bugs found as yet...

Sounds good

If he can eventually get the same functionality, with user input, that his web site has it could be a good resource. Hopefully the Android app will overcome some of the speed restrictions that the web site has which will be a major bonus.

Has come a long way in a few months, nice to see.

Edited by reg

5 minutes ago, reg said:

Sounds good

If he can eventually get the same functionality, with user input, that his web site has it could be a good resource. Hopefully the Android app will overcome some of the speed restrictions that the web site has which will be a major bonus.

Has come a long way in a few months, nice to see.

Works fast and smooth.  Going to be great for planning trips although without offline maps I may not be able to use it while actually travelling, unless it does hang on to the map when offline without eating too much memory, which on a quick try, it does.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Works fast and smooth

Does scroll very nicely. 

On the data front can spot a potential problem, which is what beta is all about,  in that non navigable canals are presented the same as navigable canals e.g 

Wales shows derelict Arm going to Newtown (mongomery canal) 

And North West shows canal going to Kendal. 

Sure there will be others which can be ironed out. 

Could do with some indication which are navigatable 

I have spent the last few months tracing the navigable canals and rivers in detail so will be happy to help proof read the data if required. 

Edited by reg
added help

Tried again Sun 7th now that you have added all of the additional lock,mooring,facilities, bridges etc.

Using Android 7" tablet

Download size circa 12mb which is very acceptable for what it does

Scrolling very nicely, very smooth and quick even with all of the additional information loaded

The street maps are also very decent quality for general use which is a bonus.

The maps also seem to cache very well

Will test it on phone when I have time

Has lots of potential, nice work

Edited by reg

Download feature will be added soon - it's working but needs styling... The canal route layer is a bit of a mess - if you zoom in really close you can see 2 routes sometimes - plus the open street map canal - I just overlapped them to save time. I'll message you about it Reg. Cheers :)

download.jpg

but I thought that was too nitpicking to bother to report.

I don't think anything is too nit picking more a case of quality assurance

Suspect it will be a case of finding a method of recording all of the observations and dealing with them at an appropriate time on a priority basis. 

I see 2 broad categories Data Integrity and Application Development. 

The odd lock symbol (eg the one at the end of the Caldon) is on at the wrong angle, but I thought that was too nitpicking to bother to report. An indication of scale would be useful too.

Scale is a good idea - I'll work on that.

I plan to include feedback into the app to fix things like lock directions - also quite a bit of duplication of CRT services as I was given a database of them after I'd started collecting the user contributions. I'm trying to build the tools to make a collaborative map rather than trying to edit the map myself.

While looking can Google maps I noticed a waterpoint which has never worked, it's just an unconnected bw standpipe at summit west in the Rochdale, 

It's not the only map it's appeared in. I posted an update on the map, it's now been removed, at least I can't see it on the app map. So well done Tom, shows you are on the case.

10 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

While looking can Google maps I noticed a waterpoint which has never worked, it's just an unconnected bw standpipe at summit west in the Rochdale, 

It's not the only map it's appeared in. I posted an update on the map, it's now been removed, at least I can't see it on the app map. So well done Tom, shows you are on the case.

Yes I got your note. I update the maps about once a month and try to do all the requests. Is the tap at Walsden fixed yet do you know? I was thinking about heading up there next month. 

Got your note Tom will reply soon. Just trying to work out best route to take, whether to convert my files to KML or just use them as a reference to QA your data. 

Have got 187 separate OSM extracts for individual parts of the network, have traced all of these inch by inch over Bing open maps to ensure navigation is correct i.e nobody goes over weirs etc.

The maps only consist of

line (navigable only),locks (As lines),turning points and swing bridges.

That is basically everything that should remain largely static for the foreseeable future.

Will set as a priority to help QA the integrity of your core line data.

Hopefully, and its looking likely, I can make my own files redundant and will be able to retire yet again.

13 hours ago, toms1 said:

Yes I got your note. I update the maps about once a month and try to do all the requests. Is the tap at Walsden fixed yet do you know? I was thinking about heading up there next month. 

It wasn't fixed at Christmas. My mooring is at Warland Gate, near the swing bridge, it's a nuisance that tap being broken. 

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

It wasn't fixed at Christmas. My mooring is at Warland Gate, near the swing bridge, it's a nuisance that tap being broken. 

Ah the bit with the free dry dock :) - or have they fixed the lock now... 

11 hours ago, reg said:

Got your note Tom will reply soon. Just trying to work out best route to take, whether to convert my files to KML or just use them as a reference to QA your data. 

Have got 187 separate OSM extracts for individual parts of the network, have traced all of these inch by inch over Bing open maps to ensure navigation is correct i.e nobody goes over weirs etc.

The maps only consist of

line (navigable only),locks (As lines),turning points and swing bridges.

That is basically everything that should remain largely static for the foreseeable future.

Will set as a priority to help QA the integrity of your core line data.

Hopefully, and its looking likely, I can make my own files redundant and will be able to retire yet again.

That sounds great Reg. Nice one. 

I've released another beta with the option to download offline maps. You can sign up to beta here if you've not done so..

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/uk.opencanalmap.opencanalmap

4 hours ago, toms1 said:

Ah the bit with the free dry dock :) - or have they fixed the lock now... 

Shhhh! The lock faeries or the last hireboat through leave paddles open. They fixed the top gates of 35, also put a paddle feed on 36, so the pound stays up these days, unless about 3 uphill boats enter and moor up. I take it you are local Tom.

12 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Shhhh! The lock faeries or the last hireboat through leave paddles open. They fixed the top gates of 35, also put a paddle feed on 36, so the pound stays up these days, unless about 3 uphill boats enter and moor up. I take it you are local Tom.

Yes - Hebden Bridge - I often head up your way for the sunshine this time of year - it's very beautiful up there.

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Where does it store the maps after a download? I seem to have accidentally attempted to download the entire country and slightly clogged up my memory. The tablet's not looking too healthy either...

Was going to ask the same question. 

Also could do with

A download cancel button. 

And option to select download directory, would like to save them on sd card if possible. 

Otherwise a great feature.

Just used it to download next days journey.

Could also be used to log mooring location, maybe that could be a separate feature with a mooring location, date stamp and possibly GPS location stamp. ETA thinking about it it might be better to have this feature, if implemented, without the map download as a default but as an option. Would be a nice way to keep a mooring log. 

Edited by reg

You can click menu then manage downloads to find an option to delete your download. I'll add a cancal button. Loads of possibilities with sharing position etc. I'm building this fairly organically - no particular plan but overall idea is about community mapping - so a mix of live, user generated and library material can used to create a map easily.

TESTED

Moving app from Internal Storage to SDCARD-GOOD all works

Tried download cancel feature-Good

But still cant find where app is located and files stored either on Internal or SDCARD, if you could let me know the naming convention of the downloaded maps I could do a search by linking into Android to Linux. Tried it but little success as insufficient info to do a search

Just got the beta, had a look. How do we add comments/info to points on map? Eg summit pound is highest broad canal 600ft 183m . I made a comment about summit west standpipe, using the Google map layer, is that the only way?