MOB Recovery Ladder

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Given the hold space are you not able to store an extendable aluminium ladder in the hold that can be pushed in to the canal bed allowing someone to climb up? We've used the hold ladder, that leans against the cross plank, to get someone out in an emergency. It is a bit short though when the canal bed is thick mud, just about long enough to climb out on to the canal bank.

6 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

the Hypo Hoist

The Hypo Hoist - well really. That's not very gracious is it. :giggles:

My broadband is so slow right now it's practically going backwards so I haven't looked at their website to see, but do the RYA have anything to say about MOB ladders?

Edited by Tumshie

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

For Python I would have thought the best option to be an aluminium ladder with hooks on the top which hook over the gunwale, and which can be deployed on either side of the boat as necessary. The ladder should be long enough to hang down below the bottom of the boat far enough for the MOB to easily get this/her feet on the bottom rung, so perhaps 6 ft long overall. It doesn't matter that it may rest on the bed when used on the canal. A folding ladder may be easier for storage. Such a ladder can also be deployed from the bank to assist the MOB to climb out where the water is too deep or bank too high for an easy exit. 

A problem with recovery on the side is, if in a lock there may well be no room for the casualty to reach the ladder. Locks are also a high risk area with people crossing the gates.