Oakdale survives Storm Eleanor

Bekaybe

Featured Posts

Mersey Flat Oakdale has survived storm Eleanor.  Built originally for the Leeds Liverpool canal she is remarkably seaworthy, her strength coming from her composite construction and high quality build.  Wind gusts were in excess of 90mph and there was an additional 1.5 metres on the 10 metre tide.  Unfortunately, though, the ships cats were terribly seasick.

IMG_3990.JPG

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

splendid looking vessel, thanks for the picture.

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, Matty!  To me she looks just like an MoD ammunition lighter (barge) with a mast nailed on. Once the Navy has shrunk a bit more and another ammunition depot closes, these things will be ten a penny at auction. Meticulously maintained too due to what they carry - keep your eye out if you like the look.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, Matty!  To me she looks just like an MoD ammunition lighter (barge) with a mast nailed on. Once the Navy has shrunk a bit more and another ammunition depot closes, these things will be ten a penny at auction. Meticulously maintained too due to what they carry - keep your eye out if you like the look.

I reckon there have been a few of them down the Trot in Guzz over the years. Doubt it will go through Braunston tunnel though.

A couple of photos, the first showing Oakdale at Burscough in 1975. She was too big for most of the L&LC, with only the section deepened between Bootle and the locks at Liverpool, which are also 6 inches wider than the other L&LC locks, to take the smaller Mersey flats. I did try to put Oakdale on the drydock at Burscough, but she was just too wide by a couple of inches. The other photo is of sister craft Ruth Bate showing the composite construction.

Oakdale 1975.jpg

Ruth Bate frames.jpg

• 1 year later...