Wood pellet stoves

Featured Posts

I have read some old threads on this topic but nothing up to date.  Anyone using something like this http://www.woodpelletstove.co.uk/pellet-stoves-petit. Successfully or not and what are the current running costs in relation to coal.  The other aspect is how easy are pellets to come by on the canal?

phil

12 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

I have read some old threads on this topic but nothing up to date.  Anyone using something like this http://www.woodpelletstove.co.uk/pellet-stoves-petit. Successfully or not and what are the current running costs in relation to coal.  The other aspect is how easy are pellets to come by on the canal?

phil

It seems to need electricity to run it? Looks as though it needs to go out to remove ash? Never seen the pellets anywhere? Solid fuel stove beats it hands down I would think.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Buy yourself a nice old Rayburn with backboiler from ebay right day 100 quid maybe 200 it cooks, heats the room, heats water and rads along with looking very pretty

What kind of Rayburn Peter  Oil?

Edited by Bromleyxphil

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It seems to need electricity to run it? Looks as though it needs to go out to remove ash? Never seen the pellets anywhere? Solid fuel stove beats it hands down I would think.

I use a small stove wild camping. We use the wooden pellets for cat litter. 

I doubt this would be economical for a large stove on a daily basis but it does us all right for a cuppa 

5 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

I have a solid fuel Rayburn Royal but oil fired ones are available easily enough and are cheap. For me though even though it can be dusty solid fuel is easier I pick up lots of wood which reduces running costs

I have a 10kw pellet burner in my flat in Macedonia, they are all the rage in this part of the world. I use a 15kg bag daily when cold but that heats 70sq/m. Probably half that on a boat but you need 240v all the time to power the fan and the pellet feeder. Burns clean and goes all night, once the hopper is full you can leave it all day in safety. Ash is removed with a metal drum vacuum cleaner. A 15kg bag here is about 3 quid and available everywhere, not sure about UK, much cleaner than logs. 

Dont need an Eco fan either.

54 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

I have a 10kw pellet burner in my flat in Macedonia, they are all the rage in this part of the world. I use a 15kg bag daily when cold but that heats 70sq/m. Probably half that on a boat but you need 240v all the time to power the fan and the pellet feeder. Burns clean and goes all night, once the hopper is full you can leave it all day in safety. Ash is removed with a metal drum vacuum cleaner. A 15kg bag here is about 3 quid and available everywhere, not sure about UK, much cleaner than logs. 

Dont need an Eco fan either.

:o Doesn't need an ECO FAN............blimey will you not die of the cold without such an awesome tried and tested piece of top notch equipment?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bromleyxphil said:

A vaporising oil Rayburn would be no good on a boat. The concentric ring burners need to be perfectly horizontal. A pressure jet Rayburn would would work, but needs 240volt and to be well commissioned to stop it burning itself out on diesel.

A pellet stove on a boat just isn't really practical due to needing continual electricity to run fans and the programmer. Some pellet stoves need no electricity and use gravity to feed the pellets.

The biggest issue on the canals is zero availability if constant cruising, unlike coal etc. If you can store a pallet of pellets somewhere indoors and dry they were really cheap a few months ago £200 for 960kg 96, 10kg bags. Bulgas make If I remember right.

I would say it would be a cheap heating system if gravity fed so no electricity needed. If marina based then no electrical issues. I get though £20 a week on average heating my 50ft trad narrowboat a week.

James:cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

My sister and husband have a pellet burning central heating system in their cottage. A bit more expensive than gas to run but the grant they got more than covers this difference. Biggest problem right now is that pellets are in short supply to the point that basically, you can't buy them.

Edited by Gareth E

40 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

My sister and husband have a pellet burning central heating system in their cottage. A bit more expensive than gas to run but the grant they got more than covers this difference. Biggest problem right now is that pellets are in short supply to the point that basically, you can't buy them.

They were popular as you received a renewable Heat Incentive payment RHI which is now not as generous. The shortage of pellets I have just read online but these are available apparently if running low. https://www.verdorenewables.co.uk/bagged-pellets/verdo-euro-value-pellets-1000005

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/grants-loans/renewables/renewable-heat-incentive

James

Edited by canals are us?