Chimney chain

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

Have you got one to sell? :D

Honest answer is "I don't know", but if you could buy one at under a ton, I think you would have done very well indeed.

If you can find a source at less than that, I'll buy two!

I don't think that they generally need as many links as 10 - 8 seems to be a more typical link count.

15 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Are these the old original type or the current copys you can get now? If the first please pm me as im after original ones

Looking at the picture they look very much original to me.

At the moment WW II gas mask + bag, with brass links are "going" for anything up to £100, depending upon condition. Although those with brass links are becoming difficult to obtain.

Up until a couple of years ago straps without the bags were available but I haven't seen one on eBay for a good while now. When they were more common they were fetching at least £25 per strap.

When I was looking for links to make a chain I tried to purchase "tatty" bags so I didn't feel too bad about destroying the straps, also the bags were cheaper.

Original bags and straps are also in much demand by "reinacters" for WWII displays.

The bags for sale now seem only to have a single steel loop. Also a gas mas may have to be bought as well.

Soldier of fortune http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?s=gas mask bag&cat=0 sell bags with links but are not up to the quality of the genuine item.

There are also several types of link. The all brass "double link" type seem to be favoured by boaters.

s-l1600[4].jpg

$_12[1].jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

$_57b.jpg

Edited by Ray T

8 hours ago, Cloudinspector said:

AF11A2FE-58DA-4CB5-8F55-5F95895A740D.jpeg

Did these come with bags or separately? I have seen loads of these but not with the war department stamps, the markings are generally inside the flap on the front of the bag.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Did these come with bags or separately? I have seen loads of these but not with the war department stamps, the markings are generally inside the flap on the front of the bag.

They came separately. I’m no expert but I’m fairly confident that they are genuine.

20 minutes ago, Cloudinspector said:

They came separately. I’m no expert but I’m fairly confident that they are genuine.

I don't think there is any doubt that they are genuine, just the first time i've seen the military print on the strap-and would guess they were stored as straps, rather than complete bags. 

20180102_102724.jpg

If your selling im intrested,

As said i lnow you can get semi ok new ones for £10 for 2 clips but the ends need work to get shape correct, i have 4 types at home 3 original 1 copy.

As said the 2 that sold at auction went for £80 for a link of 8 and 10

Edited by billybobbooth

13 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Good quality replica chains are being made by Daventry based metalworker Adrian Brindle, who also renovates Klaxons and makes good chimneys. I’m happy to put potential customers in touch.

Dave

Is this they guy that normally advertises at the braunston show? If so i spoke to him about a chimney as hell make one to fit my brass if i havent made one by that time.

On 01/01/2018 at 21:48, Cloudinspector said:

What would the going rate be for a genuine WW2 9/10 link chimney chain?

The photograph above suggests you have quite a number of these links, and they appear genuine. Have we established yet how many links you have for sale and how much you want for them ?

I am prepared to come to Lancashire and collect, paying in cash of course :captain:

20 hours ago, dave moore said:

Good quality replica chains are being made by Daventry based metalworker Adrian Brindle, who also renovates Klaxons and makes good chimneys. I’m happy to put potential customers in touch.

Dave

Are these the double linked versions ?

Interesting the emphasis on chimney chains being gas mask bag links. 

From discussing this with Mike Humphris, a boater from five generations of boaters, the use of links only came about from the mid to end of WWII when it was decided the threat of gas attacks was unlikely. The discarded bags were taken to Dickinson's paper mills at Croxley to be pulped down for paper. The brass attachments were stored in a separate building to be salvaged and melted down. The boaters used to raid this building and grab handfuls of links to either use themselves or sell to other boaters.

Prior to WWII chains from horse tackle were used. It seems today's historic boaters are not as interested in these although authentic on ex working boats, there are still some who do.

225549562_411beda06a_b[1].jpg

LJ5.jpg

sm_boatandbridge.jpg

33628250.jpg

DSCF4217.JPG

DSCF4218.JPG

painted-boats-12139_2.jpg

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Interesting the emphasis on chimney chains being gas mask bag links. 

I think the emphasis on chimney chains made from gas mask bag links lies in the fact that they are now tricky to get hold of, and in the game of pride and one up man ship having the unusual is all important. A length of chain is all too easy to get hold, although a length of good quality brass chain is also not as easy as it was to find - especially with a relatively large link. It is very easy to find period photographs of narrow boats turned out well and turned out plainly in equal quantities so you pay your money and make your choice.

My preference is for a motor to be quite plain but a butty 'done up nice', unless the motor is a single in which case that would be 'done up nice'. It is very easy to find period photographs of narrow boats turned out well and turned out plainly in equal quantities so you pay your money and make your choice, and little is completely right and little is completely wrong :captain:

Pete, you are correct in your observation on brass chain. I have been searching "horsey" sites for a long time to find a large link brass chain with no avail until I happened to stumble on this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRA-HEAVY-LEATHER-BRASS-DOG-CHAIN-LEAD-BLACK-AVAILABLE-SIZES-24-30-or-36/262883024670?var=561881139629&epid=1667474180&hash=item3d350c9f1e:m:mhROGDr9XxGStgafTwhfwOw which is where I got mine.

s-l1600[1].jpg

52 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Pete, you are correct in your observation on brass chain. I have been searching "horsey" sites for a long time to find a large link brass chain with no avail until I happened to stumble on this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRA-HEAVY-LEATHER-BRASS-DOG-CHAIN-LEAD-BLACK-AVAILABLE-SIZES-24-30-or-36/262883024670?var=561881139629&epid=1667474180&hash=item3d350c9f1e:m:mhROGDr9XxGStgafTwhfwOw which is where I got mine.

Antique hanging lamp shades are another good source, and I do intend to have a plain brass chain in the passing of time :captain:

edit - does the dog lead come with a genuine brass chain as in the advert it states 'metal' and in the photograph it looks like plated - and the price seems a little too low for brass chain :captain:

Edited by pete harrison