Cost offsets between wide and narrow

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

On 05/01/2018 at 20:51, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder how C&RT would decide on the area of a proper 'boat-shaped-boat' (where it starts to sharply taper to the bow from about 1/3rd of its length).

The Broads Authority have been coping for many years as Tolls are paid on the square footage of the vessel. This includes all vessels right down to car top dinghies , rowing boats , canoes etc etc.

Phil

1 minute ago, Phil Ambrose said:

The Broads Authority have been coping for many years as Tolls are paid on the square footage of the vessel. This includes all vessels right down to car top dinghies , rowing boats , canoes etc etc.

Phil

Do they have a formula for accurately estimating square-footage, or, is it simply length x widest beam ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do they have a formula for accurately estimating square-footage, or, is it simply length x widest beam ?

Length x beam so nice and simple.  I must add that the total Tolls I paid on my main boat, 3 powered dinghies plus a dayboat was considerably less than the cost of licence on our N .B  

I assume this was because every boat without exception had to pay and display Tolls right down to the humble basic rubber dinghy.  As all paid the income was sufficient for us all to pay less.

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Length x beam so nice and simple.  I must add that the total Tolls I paid on my main boat, 3 powered dinghies plus a dayboat was considerably less than the cost of licence on our N .B  

I assume this was because every boat without exception had to pay and display Tolls right down to the humble basic rubber dinghy.  As all paid the income was sufficient for us all to pay less.

Phil

How much do those idiots on canoes that glare at me as if its my fault when they nearly get crushed?..............Oh dont tell me let me guess?.........Is it about as much as the plonkers on mountain bikes who tear up the towpath surface?

2 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

I assume this was because every boat without exception had to pay and display Tolls right down to the humble basic rubber dinghy. 

I had heard that that we had to pay Trolls at certain bridges on the network but didnt realise we had to give them a lift and display them?

• Haha 1

Further to the droll Troll post it is worth noting that every vessel must display their Toll Plaques on either side of the bows no matter what the vessel and must display their registration numbers on both sides of the bows and on the Transom.  This makes it easy to see if a vessel is both registered and correctly tolled.

Enforcement is very simple to do and is very rigourously applied. Got a boat? You pay!

Phil

24 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Only old cold Trolls

Phil 

But the old, cold Trolls had been told  to 'hold' gold, however they 'sold'  to get money they could fold and use to get rid of the mould  under the bridge, and, even tho' mummy Troll did scold  they didn't feel they'd been polled (shafted) - but they had been trolled.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But the old, cold Trolls had been told  to 'hold' gold, however they 'sold'  to get money they could fold and use to get rid of the mould  under the bridge, and, even tho' mummy Troll did scold  they didn't feel they'd been polled (shafted) - but they had been trolled.

So the droll troll post was worth it then?

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But I thought it was a human right to have a boat whether you could afford it or not, isn't that correct.

Ahhh - the old "Freeman of the Land" and "Property Ownership is Theft" and 'If I want one I can have one' arguments.

The word 'property' itself, by the way, derives from the Latin proprius, "one's own".