Thinking about a mini-stove

Featured Posts

I've only got a small 22ft x 7ft boat, but I was thinking about installing a mini-stove (like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miniature-Mini-Coal-Wood-Burner-stove-heater-shed-summerhouse-workshop-garage/371479630493) in place of the small cupboard that I have near the door:

5a469b01504a8_unnamed(14).jpg.5a74b3e27abadb6a386d6e84911802ec.jpg

The space I'm thinking about is 2ft x 2ft (currently occupied by the brown cupboard in the photo) and I could (in theory) remove the vent that's above there for a chimney hole.

The distance from the cupboard to the bathroom door is about 3ft. I was thinking of the stove going in the corner at a 45-degree angle.

I'd like to keep the small bottom cupboard though (the one with the round handle on it) putting the stove on top of that.

Is that enough space for that kind of mini-stove?

Obviously, I'd need to put something between the stove and the bottom cupboard and stuff around the two walls. Any tips on how to install it, and what I'd need would be much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

My concern would be walking past the stove without brushing against the stove or flue, especially if you ever have kids on board.  Smart adults will only touch it once............

I would have it in the corner (with a gap) at an angle. No kids near it, just me.

The stove itself is only about the size of a 2Ltr plastic bottle. The flue would have a diameter of only 2.5".

Edited by ronnietucker

Long ago I bought a Davey "Hotpot" stove for ten times that price, which is probably the inspiration for the stove you link to. It works very well but the heat output is pathetic compared to a Squirrel. But then it would be as it is one tenth of the size! 

I'd say that stove is hard to beat at the price. The flue tube will be the hard/expensive bit. Will probably cost far more to get fabricated than the price of the stove, as will the hearth.

One difference is the Davey Hot Pot has a flue connection in the back about half way up. This means once lit, if you fill it to the very top with coal the fire will stay in all night as the burning bit only burns as high as the flue outlet. As the fuel burns away the fule on top drops down and keeps it alight. This won't happen with the £50 stove as the flue connection is at the top of the back.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Long ago I bought a Davey "Hotpot" stove for ten times that price, which is probably the inspiration for the stove you link to. It works very well but the heat output is pathetic compared to a Squirrel. But then it would be as it is one tenth of the size! 

I'd say that stove is hard to beat at the price. The flue tube will be the hard/expensive bit. Will probably cost far more to get fabricated than the price of the stove, as will the hearth.

Apparently, the trick for the flue is to use exhaust pipe as it's exactly the 2.5" required. And usually comes with a slightly wider width on one end to help clamp it on.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That's a really good idea too. Bookmarking that one.

3 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Apparently, the trick for the flue is to use exhaust pipe as it's exactly the 2.5" required. And usually comes with a slightly wider width on one end to help clamp it on.

Excellent idea. 

I still bet all the exhaust parts necessary come to more than the price of the stove. 

LG's suggestion is very good too as that wall bracket it sits on totally swerves the need for an expensive and fiddly-to-design-and-build hearth.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Excellent idea. 

I still bet all the exhaust parts necessary come to more than the price of the stove. 

LG's suggestion is very good too as that wall bracket it sits on totally swerves the need for an expensive and fiddly-to-design-and-build hearth.

LadyG's idea is definitely the current winner. I could remove the cupboard, bolt it on the wall and use some angled exhaust pipes to take the chimney out the window. That'd save destroying the roof.

Ah HA!

Edited by ronnietucker

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Excellent idea. 

No Hearth ,so where do all the bits of Spilt ash fall to?.that stove is  not  described as Suitable for Indoor/Accommodation use, it is a Shed or Greenhouse Heater.

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

No Hearth ,so where do all the bits of Spilt ash fall to?.that stove is  not  described as Suitable for Indoor/Accommodation use, it is a Shed or Greenhouse Heater.

When I take out the cupboard I'd have a metal sheet below it just in case.

I grew up around coal fires, so I know what they're like.  :)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'd be a bit concerned about that right angle in a small diameter flue getting blocked.  The flue in the OP seems to lead more directly into the stove, although it's difficult to see.

You do get the prize for the longest link this year, though!  :)

Tiny woodburner may be OK if it's a weekender or on shoreline (ie not off grid year round liveaboard!)

Google 'sofiltec pdf' this will have some good info for heat shielding.

Don't forget the flue needs a certain amount of vertical height for best operation.

At least 2 CO alarms are the order of the day, one with a digital display. (poem :D)

1 minute ago, smileypete said:

Tiny woodburner may be OK if it's a weekender or on shoreline (ie not off grid year round liveaboard!)

Google 'sofiltec pdf' this will have some good info for heat shielding.

Don't forget the flue needs a certain amount of vertical height for best operation.

At least 2 CO alarms are the order of the day, one with a digital display. (poem :D)

Yep. I only use it at the weekends (well, not at the moment as it's freezing) and I'm off-grid all the time. I never use shore power.

I've already got a CM monitor with a display as sometimes I was using a butane camping stove for a couple of hours at a time. It never even registered on the monitor.

I think I'll go with the £50 one and mount it to the wall myself with two hefty metal brackets. Behind, beside and below it would all be covered with aluminium just to be extra safe.

I can get flexible car exhaust pipes. That'll come in handy with getting the flue to the window. It'd save in buying a lot of angle pieces.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Haha. No, my two petrol tanks are safely outside and away from all flames  :D

Oh good. How about the invisible,  heavier than air petrol vapour which can build up at bilge level undetected? No way in for that, I hope? An open flame just off the floor would be a very bad thing to find it with. :(

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh good. How about the invisible,  heavier than air petrol vapour which can build up at bilge level undetected? No way in for that, I hope? An open flame just off the floor would be a very bad thing to find it with. :(

Well, aren't you just a ray of sunshine today.  ;) :D

The stove will be about 12" above floor level. Bilge is lower still. And I doubt I'll ever have the stove on while the engine is running. That'd be madness!

3 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Well, aren't you just a ray of sunshine today.  ;) :D

The stove will be about 12" above floor level. Bilge is lower still. And I doubt I'll ever have the stove on while the engine is running. That'd be madness!

Sorry to sound alarmist - I don't seem to be able to resist posting if I see even a potential petrol danger!  Put it down to too  much responsibility for explosives in my past career or too much to do with boats and petrol.

Just one small point from your response: petrol vapour doesn't know whether the engine is running or not, and it doesn't go away like exhaust fumes might. Instead, it just finds its way to the lowest level it can't escape from and sits there, building up inexorably if more vapour finds its way in.

Anyway, I've given you my cautionary thoughts now. Be assured that they are meant to be helpful... even if they are alarming! :D

PS. I am a fan of solid fuel stoves, and I can really see why you'd want one, so I do hope you can make your installation work safely.

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Sorry to sound alarmist - I don't seem to be able to resist posting if I see even a potential petrol danger!  Put it down to too  much responsibility for explosives in my past career or too much to do with boats and petrol.

Just one small point from your response: petrol vapour doesn't know whether the engine is running or not, and it doesn't go away like exhaust fumes might. Instead, it just finds its way to the lowest level it can't escape from and sits there, building up inexorably if more vapour finds its way in.

Anyway, I've given you my cautionary thoughts now. Be assured that they are meant to be helpful... even if they are alarming! :D

PS. I am a fan of solid fuel stoves, and I can really see why you'd want one, so I do hope you can make your installation work safely.

If in doubt fit a bilge blower in the cabin and give it a quick blast when ever you have been handling petrol and there is a possibility that vapour has entered the boat.  They don't cost much and it's there if you ever need it.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If in doubt fit a bilge blower in the cabin and give it a quick blast when ever you have been handling petrol and there is a possibility that vapour has entered the boat.  They don't cost much and it's there if you ever need it.

That's a good shout. I have a bilge pump under the floor at the front of the boat. Could I just wire the fan into the pump? So, in theory, a flick of the switch will put both on at the same time.

9 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

That's a good shout. I have a bilge pump under the floor at the front of the boat. Could I just wire the fan into the pump? So, in theory, a flick of the switch will put both on at the same time.

Depends on the current rating of the switch and fuse etc and the combined start up surge of the pump and blower combined.  You could use a relay if in doubt over the switch or just a separate switch.

Edited by Chewbacka