Top planks best wood

Jrtm

Featured Posts

I am not sure what these stands and top planks are but for a boat then i would go Teak or Iroko. Only suggesting that as i have been using it for this and that on the boat and love it. And i know it weather well, like Sapele but better.

But at 10 days solid boating isnt ecactly close to collect as the place i normally use is 3 days and ill be going that way this year wont go to ade till i dock in 2 years.

Think teak is a bit to posh for me.

54 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Quick one whats the best wood for stands and top planks?

I was told Douglas fir but this is only avalable easly in 200mm wide.

The Walkers of Rickmansworth Drawings indicate Oak for the stands, and selected deal for the planks, which if I remember correctly, is what we used to call knot free pine softwood, preferably Scots pine or Norway Spruce, but any high quality pine would probably suffice..

Edited by David Schweizer

A similar thread has gone on elsewhere......

Suggestions included.........

"Try the guys at Brinklow Boat Services or Ade Polgase (Ade Polgase gets many mentions in that thread).

"I use Hingleys sawmills just outside Belper. 12 x 2 fresh sawn Douglas fir is about 27 quid ex vat for a 16ft length plus delivery."

"Travis Perkins" (yes, honestly!)

However, I suspect where you are located will be a large driver in what can work for you - not exactly the kind of things you can send by Hermes or DPD!

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

A similar thread has gone on elsewhere......

Suggestions included.........

"Try the guys at Brinklow Boat Services or Ade Polgase (Ade Polgase gets many mentions in that thread).

"I use Hingleys sawmills just outside Belper. 12 x 2 fresh sawn Douglas fir is about 27 quid ex vat for a 16ft length plus delivery."

"Travis Perkins" (yes, honestly!)

However, I suspect where you are located will be a large driver in what can work for you - not exactly the kind of things you can send by Hermes or DPD!

Interestingley I find that properly selected, Travis Perkins are a good supplier of random length timber. A bit more expensive than other sources, but having a trade account brings the price down significantly. If you do use them tell them you are restoring a boat and will be wanting to purchase a lot of timber over the next year or two. They will probably let you have a trade discount.

43 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Another vote for Douglas fir.

Not sure where you are at the moment, but perhaps Jem Bates could help.

Yer wont be using jem, im in leighton buzzard at mo.

Can get douglas fir for 17 for a 200mm x 25-40mm x 3-3.6 meters

Can get deal too. I can get pine but i tend to find it rotts too quick at the stand joints and snaps on you unexpected last time i was luck it broke i was next to a stand when pine had been used.

4 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I was told hard wood for the stands and box mast, soft wood for the top planks.

You'd be lifting and moving the planks most journeys, so they needed to be light enough to be moved.

I had been told this but wasnt sure of the wood as i know other boats have used soft and soft, but i was told to use fir but i just wanted to check what others thought or used.

15 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

I had been told this but wasnt sure of the wood as i know other boats have used soft and soft, but i was told to use fir but i just wanted to check what others thought or used.

As I have already stated, the original GUCCC Drawings indicated that the stands and box should be from Oak, presumably because they have to take pressure in two directions and the structure of oak permits that. Pine which does not have medullary rays is less able to achieve this without the risk of splitting.

11 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

As I have already stated, the original GUCCC Drawings indicated that the stands and box should be from Oak, presumably because they have to take pressure in two directions and the structure of oak permits that. Pine which does not have medullary rays is less able to achieve this without the risk of splitting.

I did take note of this wasnt ignored,

Yes will be using oak for stands and supports, trying to find a deal supplyer close by my stands are ok front cratch ill screw together as has warped a bit so will di this to hold a bit stronger and secure as its not being taken down.

7 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Quick one whats the best wood for stands and top planks?

I was told Douglas fir but this is only avalable easly in 200mm wide.

54 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

I did take note of this wasnt ignored,

Yes will be using oak for stands and supports, trying to find a deal supplyer close by my stands are ok front cratch ill screw together as has warped a bit so will di this to hold a bit stronger and secure as its not being taken down.

Are you looking at New or used wood? When I renewed some of my planks I got from a building reclamation yard not sure of the type of softwood but they were Kot FreeStands & mast box I think wereoak but had so much paint on them I was never really sure

Whatever you buy, if the top planks are ever to be walked along set them up a foot or so above the ground and jump about on them before you commit. This may save you an unexpected and painful trip from top plank to bilge. Wish I'd done that about 7 or 8 years ago.    

18 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Are you looking at New or used wood? When I renewed some of my planks I got from a building reclamation yard not sure of the type of softwood but they were Kot FreeStands & mast box I think wereoak but had so much paint on them I was never really sure

New. I had the planks down 2 years ago, all are ok except the back one has already been repaired, but i need 2 sets of tops and 1 set of half stands.