Very wet and a bit pi€€ed off

matty40s

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes and sad to see as it looks a good boat not to say that not so good boats in that state are not a sad site. It has astounded me for years how many people in winter just abandon their boats in such locations. I suppose if they are novice boaters then river levels may not have come into their reasoning. They may have left it for a short time and had problems that hasn't allowed them to get back to it. Anywhere near any river can flood unexpectedly. I remember not long ago in Sawley marina when the trent came in and surrounded the road system making it impassable and an emergency helicopter had to evacuate a sick person. The cut across from the marina was a couple of foot over the towpath and that's a supposed safe section. We had to wade belly high in water to our boat INSIDE the marina as others will recall.

The thing that astounded me today was a conversation I had earlier with a boat owner who walked past that boat yesterday and  noticed it was on the tilt and decided not to loosen the ropes.

He said and I quote "I didn't think the river would rise anymore". If he had just acted then this boat would still be afloat. 

5 minutes ago, Rickent said:

The thing that astounded me today was a conversation I had earlier with a boat owner who walked past that boat yesterday and  noticed it was on the tilt and decided not to loosen the ropes.

He said and I quote "I didn't think the river would rise anymore". If he had just acted then this boat would still be afloat. 

:o Now that is sad. I always look at other boats where I am moored or walking and have adjusted a few over the years. The soar is like a yo-yo and its often in the summer over the years that its been up. Of course its often when the river is on the way back down that problems arise.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:o Now that is sad. I always look at other boats where I am moored or walking and have adjusted a few over the years. The soar is like a yo-yo and its often in the summer over the years that its been up. Of course its often when the river is on the way back down that problems arise.

There is an unattended boat moored behind us on the vm's at Barrow Boating and that was on the tilt yesterday but I loosened the centre rope and it is fine now.

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, Rickent said:

That's disappointing, a few minutes would most likely have saved their boat from sinking.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Of course its often when the river is on the way back down that problems arise.

I saw a cruiser with its mooring scaffold pole sticking straight through the hull and out of the superstructure once on the Avon. :(

• Horror 1

We've been staying with our son at Godmanchester for Christmas. The river was already about a foot above normal with 1 of the 3 movable weir gates closed and the other open 18 inches. Yesterday the river had risen another 18 inches and all 3 gates were wide open but there was little difference I  level between above and below. There has been an unattended narrowboat moored on the park 100 yards above the weirs. I couldn't get to it as the river was running over the path but from as close as I could get there seemed to be plenty of slack on his ropes. The EA mooring at the lock was underwater. 

It's quite impressive to see Portholme Meadow flooded, a huge expanse of water with little indication of the River course. And a bit strange seeing the tops of Park benches and rubbish bins poking above the water. Looking at the EA River levels it looks as if the river has gone down 400mm overnight so may have peaked. 

Blooming heck! That's absolutely terrified me, I'm the yellow cruiser that's (hopefully) still moored behind the sunken narrowboat. I have been away visiting family for Christmas and in all honesty I've not stopped worrying about river levels etc, can't say seeing that has helped! 

I frequently adjusted that sunken boats lines when I was aboard to compensate for previous changes in level, fat lot of good now though.

11 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Blooming heck! That's absolutely terrified me, I'm the yellow cruiser that's (hopefully) still moored behind the sunken narrowboat.

Well it isn't looking good. From the photo, your boat is no longer there. 

How far behind? 

Much credit to you for adjusting their lines. Hope your cruiser is still there.

Correct Matty, I'll be straight over on the morning anyway asap! 

And it was just moored out of shot in that photo.

What annoys me slightly is that the winter mooring (where we both are) is of course not for residential use, therefore how can you be there every day to check on the boat (as is necessary) without contravening the regulations? 

48 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

What annoys me slightly is that the winter mooring (where we both are) is of course not for residential use, therefore how can you be there every day to check on the boat (as is necessary) without contravening the regulations? 

If this is a designated winter mooring, then it is primarily (but not exclusively) for continuous cruisers, and therefore very much for residential use.

Hope your boat is OK.

9 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

Correct Matty, I'll be straight over on the morning anyway asap! 

And it was just moored out of shot in that photo.

But as a winter mooring you can only book it for a few months so it can't be residential as residential is a 'permanent' mooring.  Doesn't mean you will not be staying on your boat before moving off in the spring.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

But as a winter mooring you can only book it for a few months so it can't be residential as residential is a 'permanent' mooring.  Doesn't mean you will not be staying on your boat before moving off in the spring.

There are still many many people who don't understand what residential means this is partly because people assume that boats are houses because people live in them which they obviously are not.

Sorry for leading the thread astray with that quibble on Winter Moorings... 

I've been to the boat this morning, given it a good check over and it's safe and sound. Massive thanks to whoever has loosened/re tied my lines, if you're on this forum PM me with what your favourite tipple is. 

Only just discovered this topic after chatting to Matty last night. We are on the Trent in Nottingham but managed to make it to a pontoon on Wednesday as the river rose. Trent has been rising since we arrived here, further up this morning still. Looking at shardlow, levels may have started flattening. Hoping will calm down before the next lot of rain due though think been fine rain much of the night.

A couple of them stayed on the boat in front for two nights this week but didn' attempt to head up there.

One other islander walked up on Thursday,  not seen him since to ask if everything is ok.

Soar peaked overnight and us starting to drop again now.

At last! It's official!

Notice Alert

River Soar
Starts At: Bridge 2
Ends At: Lock 59 - Redhill Lock

Tuesday 2 January 2018 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

The River Soar has gone into flood and the red flood lights have now been activated. 

Boaters are advised not to travel along this section until further notice.

The islanders left their boat in front of me on Boxing Day.

Today they have had an overstay email from CRT reminding them that they should be moving on or back to their home mooring.

The river has been in flood since late Boxing Day, and remains in flood - with more rain expected tonight.

i told them just to email the flood warning to the enforcement bod and also told them that they could go to work on their boat, moor above the lock like they have been doing- and back every evening, 365 days a year and there's nothing CRT can do about it.

Most of the island has had a soaking, but the current travels round both sides,  the water over their property is like a millpond so no damage has been done.