Very wet and a bit pi€€ed off

matty40s

Featured Posts

Just been out to check my ropes as the Soar is rising swiftly, and also had to completely re-tie the boat in front, bring it back from the wier as it was tied at 90 deg angles and about to go under at the starboard side.

I wouldn't normally comment but this boat is owned by people who own an island and live on the river.

The weather doesn't stop for Christmas, or me.☺

• Greenie 4

Can I assume that you are moored above the lock at Sileby and that the boat in front is Growler? Just remember that its owners have only had to deal with minor floods on the Soar so far!! If it rains a lot more it will become a serious one.

I moored on the soar for winter of 92/93 it is interesting isnt it.

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Just been out to check my ropes as the Soar is rising swiftly, and also had to completely re-tie the boat in front, bring it back from the wier as it was tied at 90 deg angles and about to go under at the starboard side.

I wouldn't normally comment but this boat is owned by people who own an island and live on the river.

The weather doesn't stop for Christmas, or me.☺

You should have been a farmer Matty :D

35 minutes ago, Rickent said:

That looks interesting there Matty, we are only 2ins short of the water coming over here but the sluice gates are open now so hopefully shouldn't go up any more.

I was going to suggest getting the sluice gates open fully, it's probably the first time they have been used in anger since the brickwork has been repaired after it was damaged in 2012.

Not much headroom at Mountsorrel lock...

20171227_123643.jpg

20171227_123713.jpg

Makes me feel rather nostalgic, this thread.

To counter the nostalgia and make me feel more cheerful we did have a foot of snow a couple of weeks ago. This allowed me to take an :offtopic:photo for the Christmas letter.

From Hergest Ridge to the SE.jpg

The gates were opened last year but the water didn't get as high as it is now.

Glad I am not on Proctors anymore, year before last I was up to my neck in water when I got off the boat, I had no waders and the water was bloody cold.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Towpaths gone now and the marina road is also under water.

Soon be time to get into the lock. That looks bad, you would have been better off here, at least we still have a towpath (just).

12 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

At least this means Saddington and all the other reservoirs might fill up a bit! :)

It doesn't necessarily work like that.

When all the water comes at once most of it ends up going downstream and out to sea rather then soaking in and topping up groundwater levels.

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It doesn't necessarily work like that.

When all the water comes at once most of it ends up going downstream and out to sea rather then soaking in and topping up groundwater levels.

I think you are confusing reservoirs with aquifers.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Rickent said:

A lesson for anybody leaving a boat unattended on the Soar.

20171228_105616.jpg

Yes and sad to see as it looks a good boat not to say that not so good boats in that state are not a sad site. It has astounded me for years how many people in winter just abandon their boats in such locations. I suppose if they are novice boaters then river levels may not have come into their reasoning. They may have left it for a short time and had problems that hasn't allowed them to get back to it. Anywhere near any river can flood unexpectedly. I remember not long ago in Sawley marina when the trent came in and surrounded the road system making it impassable and an emergency helicopter had to evacuate a sick person. The cut across from the marina was a couple of foot over the towpath and that's a supposed safe section. We had to wade belly high in water to our boat INSIDE the marina as others will recall.