Could this jumps start my engine?

bill brown

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, bill brown said:

Yes absolutely. It will spin a bigger engine than yours. I have one for emergencies they are for nowt. Also runs loads of leccy equipment for hours. Mine jumped my isuzu 42 instantly,it would have spun something considerably bigger

Edited by mrsmelly

I recently bought that very model, and tested it on the Land Rover, which has a totally flat battery, before I took it down to the boat.  It couldn't even turn it over once.

But other more powerful and more expensive models are available - you probably get what you pay for in this case.

I'd doubt it, however I know naff all about 32hp nanni kubota diesel engines.

The blurb in the advert says An Emergency Lifesaver Car Battery Booster: Revive all 2 L gasoline vehicles.

The main difference between a petrol engine and a diesel engine is that a diesel engine having no spark to ignite the fuel relies on extremely high compression in comparison to a petrol engine.

I'd have thought at 32hp it's over 2Ltr in size and unless it has decompressors even a small 12volt car engine would struggle.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I'd doubt it, however I know naff all about 32hp nanni kubota diesel engines.

The blurb in the advert says An Emergency Lifesaver Car Battery Booster: Revive all 2 L gasoline vehicles.

The main difference between a petrol engine and a diesel engine is that a diesel engine having no spark to ignite the fuel relies on extremely high compression in comparison to a petrol engine.

I'd have thought at 32hp it's over 2Ltr in size and unless it has decompressors even a small 12volt car engine would struggle.

A 32 hp will be a lot less than 2Ltr my 42 Isuzu is 1700cc  The starter jobbie Ibought similar to the one the op shows though I havnt checked the numbers on it flew it over instantly. Edit to add remember its a PROPER Japanese engine so doesnt need large capacity as it is engineered properly unlike some clunky old Lister or gardner or similar.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Horror 1

There’s probably quite a difference between using the device to start an engine whose battery is just a bit too flat to turn the engine over on its own, vs using it to start an engine whose battery is completely flat and not contributing anything (in fact may be sucking up charge itself).

• Happy 1

And if you have to use engine heaters too, which would drain a fair bit out before actually attepting to start. An old direct injection engine with no heater plugs but with de compressor levers can be wound up to speed by using the decompressors on a pretty low state of charge battery, fling the the levers over and away it goes.  I could demonstrate this now on my Lister ST2. No need for U-Tube, just open a window and listen, anywhere within a 100 mile radius of B.Stortford. 

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

I'd not want to try using anything like this to actually do the tarting.

I agree it might tip the balance when paralleled with a starter battery that is not 100%, but can't see it being able to do much on its own.

(Particularly if, as has been said, you need to operate heaters before the actual starter motor).

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:29, mrsmelly said:

A 32 hp will be a lot less than 2Ltr my 42 Isuzu is 1700cc  The starter jobbie Ibought similar to the one the op shows though I havnt checked the numbers on it flew it over instantly. Edit to add remember its a PROPER Japanese engine so doesnt need large capacity as it is engineered properly unlike some clunky old Lister or gardner or similar.

My barrus shire 38 is 2.2 litres of PROPER Japanese yanmar no substitute for capacity they say.

Neil.

On 26/12/2017 at 20:15, mrsmelly said:

Yes absolutely. It will spin a bigger engine than yours. I have one for emergencies they are for nowt. Also runs loads of leccy equipment for hours. Mine jumped my isuzu 42 instantly,it would have spun something considerably bigger

Yeabut , your Isuzu likely has a Starter Motor with Reduction Gear , a lot less Grunt required to Spin it up than an Older Direct Starter.

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

My barrus shire 38 is 2.2 litres of PROPER Japanese yanmar no substitute for capacity they say.

Neil.

The nanni 30 hp is just over 1100 cc. It seems then that nanni and Isuzu engines are far more efficient than Yanmar whoever they are :P

6 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Yeabut , your Isuzu likely has a Starter Motor with Reduction Gear , a lot less Grunt required to Spin it up than an Older Direct Starter.

Yes Japanese are vastly better but some people like museum pieces and that's their choice. I had many old cars in a collection from the 20s and 30s for several years and loved them though would not have liked to do 300 miles in one hit in one. I think Nick is right in his post also as the time I used mine the starter battery was at about 11 volts so not realy totally u/s. Still a very good helpful bit of kit for very little money to have onboard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DLRGY8A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one in September 2016 (£50 all-in at the time) after Mr RCR told me, after the annual engine inspection, that I could do with a new starter battery even though it was still starting first time every time. I declined, as I don't much like replacing stuff that still works, and bought one of these (belt) and a set of jump leads (braces) and decided to see how much longer the battery would go on for.

As at the start of December 2017 (the last time I was on the boat) it was still starting first time every time so I haven't had to resort to the belt or braces yet. 

At least not for the boat. When I'm not on the boat I keep the jump starter in the boot of the car as its battery, although only 3 years old, is failing... probably due to less frequent use and shorter journeys since I retired about the time the battery was replaced. After Christmas, and a few cold days and nights of lack of use, the engine failed to start with the voltmeter reading 11.9. I hooked up the DBPower and it started fine (12 year old 1.5 litre Ford diesel engine).

I hope it would start my boat engine (17 year old 35 BHP Barrus Shire/Yanmar without glow plugs), if it's ever needed but unless/until the situation arises I can't be sure. However, as it started my car last week I am more confident than I was.

47 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DLRGY8A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one in September 2016 (£50 all-in at the time) after Mr RCR told me, after the annual engine inspection, that I could do with a new starter battery even though it was still starting first time every time. I declined, as I don't much like replacing stuff that still works, and bought one of these (belt) and a set of jump leads (braces) and decided to see how much longer the battery would go on for.

As at the start of December 2017 (the last time I was on the boat) it was still starting first time every time so I haven't had to resort to the belt or braces yet. 

At least not for the boat. When I'm not on the boat I keep the jump starter in the boot of the car as its battery, although only 3 years old, is failing... probably due to less frequent use and shorter journeys since I retired about the time the battery was replaced. After Christmas, and a few cold days and nights of lack of use, the engine failed to start with the voltmeter reading 11.9. I hooked up the DBPower and it started fine (12 year old 1.5 litre Ford diesel engine).

I hope it would start my boat engine (17 year old 35 BHP Barrus Shire/Yanmar without glow plugs), if it's ever needed but unless/until the situation arises I can't be sure. However, as it started my car last week I am more confident than I was.

Looks like a good bit of kit.  Don't forget though, that a set of jump leads from the domestic bank is also an option.

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Don't forget though, that a set of jump leads from the domestic bank is also an option.

54 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

bought one of these (belt) and a set of jump leads (braces)

:)