Computer getting hot on this site only

frahkn

Featured Posts

My Mac book pro gets hot and the fan becomes audible after about 3 mins  on this site only.

This has occurred for the last 3 weeks or so.

Can anyone suggest (in the simplest terms) what I might do to return things to normal?

I have problems with 'typing' on this forum (no problems using Word, or any other forum) The space bar seems to be disabled and odd letters don't 'register'. I have to type out my replies in Word, then copy and paste onto the forum.

I have had the problem for months - I just cannot see how there can be any connection between the fault and the forum hence have not mentioned it before.

36 minutes ago, frahkn said:

My Mac book pro gets hot and the fan becomes audible after about 3 mins  on this site only.

Can anyone suggest (in the simplest terms) what I might do to return things to normal?

Are you sat by an Eco fan?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, frahkn said:

My old Windows XP notebook doesn't do it. Shall we swap? 

2 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Are you sat by an Eco fan?

I don't think that would do it in itself, but "My Curly" may have a point - is your very clever Mac Book trying to compensate for your inadequacy in the Ecofan department?

(Apologies for not being of any actual help) :)

Not a Mac expert but does it do any form of hardware acceleration for displaying graphics, it may be that the images on the home page are causing it to work harder. Does the same happen if you go to something like YouTube and play a video?

Just another reason not to buy an Apple product......

None of my kit does this. I have just fired up an old Dell that used to set the fan's spinning on the graphics card when you visited graphic intensive sites or played certain games but this site had no impact on it what so ever.

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Not a Mac expert but does it do any form of hardware acceleration for displaying graphics, it may be that the images on the home page are causing it to work harder. Does the same happen if you go to something like YouTube and play a video?

No, that is what's weird. I can watch youtube or the BBC, only this site causes the overheating and only during the last few weeks.

I've been using the forum for years and the Mac is 4 years old.

Also, no great activity shows up on the activity monitor.

It's very strange.

7 hours ago, frahkn said:

Does then it cool down and the fan stop if you go off and read something else instead?

11 hours ago, frahkn said:

Odd... What kind of Mac are you using? How old is it and what version of OS X are you using? Also, does it also happen in other browsers? e.g. Chrome or Firefox?

If you switch to the basic/legacy theme by clicking the "Theme" link at the bottom, do you see any difference in terms of performance?

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Does then it cool down and the fan stop if you go off and read something else instead?

Yes, immediately - if I move from this forum to anything else, then the temperature drops and the fan switches off - it takes less than a minute.

The thing is the CPU monitor does not show greatly increased activity while this heating occurs. I would assume a hardware problem if it were not that it is site specific.

12 hours ago, RichM said:

Odd... What kind of Mac are you using? How old is it and what version of OS X are you using? Also, does it also happen in other browsers? e.g. Chrome or Firefox?

If you switch to the basic/legacy theme by clicking the "Theme" link at the bottom, do you see any difference in terms of performance?

A 2014 Mac book pro retina.

I have not tried Chrome or Firefox.

I can't see the 'theme' link.

12 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Yes, immediately - if I move from this forum to anything else, then the temperature drops and the fan switches off - it takes less than a minute.

The thing is the CPU monitor does not show greatly increased activity while this heating occurs. I would assume a hardware problem if it were not that it is site specific.

A 2014 Mac book pro retina.

I have not tried Chrome or Firefox.

I can't see the 'theme' link.

The theme link is in the very bottom left hand corner, just under the Designed by IPSFocus, or is when I am viewing the site.

I'll try and get my daughter to view the site on her Mac Book Pro Retina and see if it behaves the same.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

The theme link is in the very bottom left hand corner, just under the Designed by IPSFocus, or is when I am viewing the site.

I'll try and get my daughter to view the site on her Mac Book Pro Retina and see if it behaves the same.

Found it.

Thanks, it would be useful.

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

There was no change to the fan when my daughter reluctantly visited the site on her Mac book.

I have switched to the legacy version of the forum and so far, not encountered the problem.

However the problem didn't occur with the new site until about 3 weeks ago and is intermittent, it does not happen every time.

6 hours ago, frahkn said:

I have switched to the legacy version of the forum and so far, not encountered the problem.

However the problem didn't occur with the new site until about 3 weeks ago and is intermittent, it does not happen every time.

Is it possible to try a different browser to see if it happens in something else? E.g. Chrome or Firefox. (assuming you're using Safari) I need to narrow down where the problem is occurring. 

8 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

That makes it coincidence, not correlation, and certainly not causation!

As far as I can see it doesn't make it anything (whether starting with a 'c' or not) and I haven't suggested that it does. What it is is a fact, I am trying to establish a cause for this fact but progress is slow because I am not in a position to conduct random trials.

2 hours ago, RichM said:

Is it possible to try a different browser to see if it happens in something else? E.g. Chrome or Firefox. (assuming you're using Safari) I need to narrow down where the problem is occurring. 

I am using Safari and I could try a different browser. Before I do I would like to understand more about the "result" of the change of theme and try to understand why the problem should have manifested only 3 weeks ago.

I have asked Apple about situations where excess heat is generated without apparent extra CPU activity and am awaiting a detailed reply.

I appreciate your effort to help but would ask you to bear with me for now.