Etiquette!

Ashs85

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Frankly I disagree. Mine are all pleasingly quiet.

I suspect you are only noticing the occasional loud one!

Listers I agree tend to be unpleasantly loud (except the JPs) but then they barely fall into the category 'vintage'. Nor do they run "very very very slow"

Sorry to generalise, Mike.  Limited experience here...

It is a characteristic noise made by some engines. It is a feature of canal life that some people are trying to preserve. The consolation is that it is a passing noise and will soon fade in the distance, unless it is stuck in the lock for ages. Other than that I can't help much. But hopefully with a bit of patience you might get used to it.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

It is to me! But of course it depends on one’s working hours. For example if doing an afternoon shifts and finishing at say midnight and getting to bed at 2am, being woken up repeatedly at 6am results in sleep deprivation. Annoying at the best of times, dangerous to others if said person is eg a driver or pilot.

I don’t have a problem with people going boating at 6am - we have been known to do it! I do have a problem with people having boats that are anti socially noisy, ditto for people with “boy racer” exhausts on their cars who go screaming around town at 2am. Selfish and attention-seeking, pure and simple.

However the OP mentions he has not had a problem for the past 2 years, it is just this repeat offender that is causing a problem.

We are woken every working day of the week that we are at home usually twice. Once when the newspapers are delivered to the shop which backs onto our garden usually at about 4.15am.  Then again at about at between 5 and 5.30am when the chap who lives above the shop starts his van to go to work. Sometimes accompanied by the sound of him scraping the ice off the screens. 

Is it a problem? No these people have a valid reason to be doing what they are doing.

As does the chap/chappess in the OP using their boat. Until there is a curfew on boat use hours then there really is nothing this person is doing wrong.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Frankly I disagree. Mine are all pleasingly quiet.

I suspect you are only noticing the occasional loud one!

Listers I agree tend to be unpleasantly loud (except the JPs) but then they barely fall into the category 'vintage'. Nor do they run "very very very slow"

Some of yours are Very Quiet ,Silent even.

10 minutes ago, NickF said:

I would not be impressed but the OP said between 6am and 7am which is surely the best part of the day! (in my opinion!)

Same for me, but the op said he works to the early hours of the morning, so 6am is (guessing) 3 or so hours into his sleep time.  So 6am for him is like 3am for most of us.

10 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Same for me, but the op said he works to the early hours of the morning, so 6am is (guessing) 3 or so hours into his sleep time.  So 6am for him is like 3am for most of us.

You read it more carefully than me chewbacka! I would not want to be woken three hours after going to bed.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are woken every working day of the week that we are at home usually twice. Once when the newspapers are delivered to the shop which backs onto our garden usually at about 4.15am.  Then again at about at between 5 and 5.30am when the chap who lives above the shop starts his van to go to work. Sometimes accompanied by the sound of him scraping the ice off the screens. 

Is it a problem? No these people have a valid reason to be doing what they are doing.

As does the chap/chappess in the OP using their boat. Until there is a curfew on boat use hours then there really is nothing this person is doing wrong.

I agree that the people you mention have a valid reason for doing what they are doing, although I’m surprised it still wakes you as normally people become accustomed to such things, a bit like living next to a railway. Maybe you sleep with the windows open?

I also agree that a boater having a valid reason to transit a lock at 6am should be allowed to do so with clear conscience. What I disagree with is that people should be able to make as much noise as they like at whatever hour they like. If we took our boat through that lock at 6am I very much doubt the OP would notice. It is selfish and inconsiderate to have an unsilenced engine at any time, and most especially if you are accustomed to running it in a residential area at 6am even if for the purposes of moving the boat. Some people may like the sound of a noisy vintage engine waking them up, most do not.

I agree that the people you mention have a valid reason for doing what they are doing, although I’m surprised it still wakes you as normally people become accustomed to such things, a bit like living next to a railway. Maybe you sleep with the windows open?

I also agree that a boater having a valid reason to transit a lock at 6am should be allowed to do so with clear conscience. What I disagree with is that people should be able to make as much noise as they like at whatever hour they like. If we took our boat through that lock at 6am I very much doubt the OP would notice. It is selfish and inconsiderate to have an unsilenced engine at any time, and most especially if you are accustomed to running it in a residential area at 6am even if for the purposes of moving the boat. Some people may like the sound of a noisy vintage engine waking them up, most do not.

Hello Nick. Only me :)

I agree with you, mostly.

JP

42 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Blimey! 

Mostly!

What I want to know Nick is why all these boaters who love clanky old noisey " traditional " engines in their boats would tell you to sod of if we told them to drive about and commute in a 1930s car with its 1930s engine. Modern Japanese is soooooooooooooo much better.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What I want to know Nick is why all these boaters who love clanky old noisey " traditional " engines in their boats would tell you to sod of if we told them to drive about and commute in a 1930s car with its 1930s engine. Modern Japanese is soooooooooooooo much better.

You know that and I know that, but they are delusional! 

• Happy 1

26 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I Marinated 2 Cylinder Kubota in 1979 Before Nanni and Beta sold them ,did awful things to it ,Over load ,Overheat and run it Low on Oil.such a Lovely thing,Had a Glimpse of the Future that week!:)

• Happy 1

No doubt you do 20,000 miles a year of normal driving in it (70 down the motorway etc). NOT!

Or maybe you just bring it out on the occasional sunny Sunday afternoon for a potter along a country lane. For about 5 miles!

And nor, I suspect, do you have it make a lot of noise at 6am!

In other words, it’s a museum piece not a practical everyday means of transport.

Edited by nicknorman

1 minute ago, colinwilks said:

To answer the Japanese lovers - Because some of us want to smile as we drive (not to mention zero road tax, cheap insurance and an asset that appreciates rather than the reverse). My 1934 Austin Seven type 65, still with its original engine. 

P1010045.JPG

Is that the Engine that went on to Power the Reliant Regal and Robin etc.?if so it Endured for a few more Decades but lost a Wheel!:D

3 minutes ago, colinwilks said:

My 1934 Austin Seven type 65, still with its original engine. 

P1010045.JPG

A Swallow, still with its original badge!

2E72557D-2D1E-4681-995F-7D2BD187D4B2.jpeg.3c5ea5f3a15679ca068abafdd88ddbe7.jpeg

It couldn’t make its mind up if it was a swallow or a swift - they’re very similar birds ;)

Blimey! 

Mostly!

Yeah, mostly.

Overplayed the point about silencing engines. I am not sure all vintage engines can be fully silenced and I for one wouldn't want to lose them from the canals.

The point about noise is valid and the idea stated by some that if you live close to a canal, factory, railway, church or similar then you should put up with whatever operations they chose to do isn't borne out in law.

There are restrictions around change of practice and I suspect operations between the hours of 11pm and 7am have limitations.

I think the suggestion it is a workboat may prove true and it will be for a limited time. If not then I too would support the OPs position.

JP

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No doubt you do 20,000 miles a year of normal driving in it (70 down the motorway etc). NOT!

Or maybe you just bring it out on the occasional sunny Sunday afternoon for a potter along a country lane. For about 5 miles!

And nor, I suspect, do you have it make a lot of noise at 6am!

In other words, it’s a museum piece not a practical everyday means of transport.

It does look Wonderful though ,from a Time when British Vehicles were Good and getting better every Year!

• Greenie 1